Subaru WRX Forum banner

Spt Sucks

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Vew 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
***EDITED***...brought it to a 5 star subaru dealer... beacuse its still covered 60k warranty they told me they couldnt fix it because of the "AFTER MARKET ACCESSORIES" BS :mad: so i pulled it down fit that crap my self bought new sincronizer and a new gear set parts were expensive but
i did the labor my self no big deal..... now its about 1 year later i have a drive line vibration under acceleration and my shifter is loose wobbles back and forth....
i dropped the drain plug and a huge piece of metal came out i think its part of the
fork assembley..... soooooo
since i canttake off my perrin inlet hose without taking off the the intake manifold and
like 6 hours of work for half an intake i decided to hide it......
i bought an SPT short ram and hooked it up... dont worry
TEMPORARLY... and plan on bringing it to a diffrent dealer maybe theyll thinks its all
SPT and warranty some shit.... oh and tooke the Perrin recirc off too.....

Bascilly what im tryin to get to i got the Spt INTAKE ...TELL ME how the damn intake
tube its a cast steel.... its like 2 pounds.... what crap is that !Cry! its going to absorb
sooo much heat.... its crap i cant wait to get rid of it... and it sounds liek crap
its honda statuss... dont buy one :beatentod

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow thats one of the first times I have read about someone not likeing the SPT intake. There are several people here that trust that with maybe one or 2 other brands. I have seen it on one of my friends cars, didnt look that bad to me, but i dont know, sorry about your luck.

#3 ·
So when i first purchased my car the next day its had a perrin turbo inlet hose short ram intake and adjustable recirc valve..... a few months later i was drag racing down a local road at like 3am launched at the light wound out first slammed into secound and
then there was no secound gone....... i went no where.... no where fast because it had all other gears but secound so i did the first to 3rd shift for a few days.... brought it to a 5 star subaru dealer... beacuse its still covered 60k warranty they told me they couldnt fix it because of the "AFTER MARKET ACCESSORIES" BS :mad: so i pulled it down fit that crap my self bought new sincronizer and a new gear set parts were expensive but
i did the labor my self no big deal..... now its about 1 year later i have a drive line vibration under acceleration and my shifter is loose wobbles back and forth....
i dropped the drain plug and a huge piece of metal came out i think its part of the
fork assembley..... soooooo
since i canttake off my perrin inlet hose without taking off the the intake manifold and
like 6 hours of work for half an intake i decided to hide it......
i bought an SPT short ram and hooked it up... dont worry
TEMPORARLY... and plan on bringing it to a diffrent dealer maybe theyll thinks its all
SPT and warranty some shit.... oh and tooke the Perrin recirc off too.....

Bascilly what im tryin to get to i got the Spt INTAKE ...TELL ME how the damn intake
tube its a cast steel.... its like 2 pounds.... what crap is that !Cry! its going to absorb
sooo much heat.... its crap i cant wait to get rid of it... and it sounds liek crap
its honda statuss... dont buy one :beatentod
You should've bought the heatshield. I wouldn't call SPT crap.

#4 ·
SPT isnt all that bad but it makes absolutley no sense to make the damn hose out of steel
i looks fine and works great until it gets hot its just going to draw in heat....allthough your right
i should buy the heat shiled i saw it for like 70$
thanks for the tip... but i think im gonna go back to my perrin soon.

#5 ·
You're going to have that type of thing with pretty much any short ram. There isn't going to be any "great" short ram. You're much better off with a cold air style set up, granted that you have a tune for it. I wouldn't do it with a stock car.

You could always wrap it to keep temps down, but that really doesn't make it lok all that pretty. ;)

When I need it, I'm going with the Buschur cai. :rocks:

#7 ·
I said, granted that you have a tune for it... ;) So, yes, you will want to get tuned for this piece. I wouldn't recommend it at all to someone without some form of em.

And, do you drive in water deeper than your fenders?

But as far as short rams go, I won't buy another one, but that's just me.

I learned alot from the mistakes that I made with my bugeye, I won't be buying alot of parts that I bought before. ;)

#8 ·
maybe im asking stupid questions now.... why dont you like the short ram... had problems with it....
and as far as the whole water thing... lots of flooding here when it rains hard and i used to drive a jacked up jeep so i still have the tendency to plow threw objects that i probably shouldnt... :cool:

#9 ·
Nah, you're not asking anything stupid. Maybe I misinterpreted your post. ;)

As for the intakes, they're ok, but they're still under the hood, sucking hot air. This is not a good thing when it comes to making power. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't make power with an sri, I'm just saying that you would be better off with something else IMO.

When I do this car up, I'm just taking a different approach than most.

I had the K&N Typhoon on my bugeye, and while it worked great, I just feel that I could have done something else and knowing that now, I will. ;)

As for you wanting to plow through stuff, you can do that with a Jeep...lol.

#10 ·
GOOD WAY TO PUT IT ALL....
thats a little better understanding now i guess.
thanks... maybe a coldair doesnt sound so bad.... a bypass valve would be a must for me though... well see how this works for a while... im still learning to figure out which is the best thing to do to my car.. ..:cool:

#11 ·
I dont know if you are aware about a dealership not being able to deny warranty just because you have on aftermarket equipment. My local dealership tried to turn me away but there is a law "the magnuson moss warranty act" that states a dealership must prove and have hard evidence that your aftermarket parts actually are the reason for the cars damage. In you case your 2nd gear going out had nothing to do with the mods you have. Look this law up there is a lot of cases of subaru dealerships that deny warranty for having aftermarket parts. If they try to say fine well you abused the car have them prove it if they cant they have to honor the warranty.

#14 ·
Only problem is that you already admitted to "racing" the car. Its a BIG problem with the WRXs, launching, dropping clutches, slamming gears. Not really for the stock tranny. Just careful what you say. ALOT of people use the internet for all kinds of things.

#15 ·
dealer
"well the new intake created an increase in power which caused the tranny to fail"

just look at the forums over at nasioc people with stock cars that blew the tranny soa still won't cover

as far as the moss act if there is even an remote possibility that the part could have cause a problem the will deny the claim they don't need "hard evidence" you could take them to court and waste shit loads of money and you will still most likely loose

if you mod your car for performance you can pretty much count on a fight for any warranty (related to running gear) work unless you have a very nice mod friendly dealer

oh and the act says the dealer must prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.