SPT intake ??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-04-2008, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

new 'bru is an unknown
SPT intake ???

Ok, I'm planning on getting a SPT intake soon, and later on going stage 2. Can I do this with the SPT? I know it "works like stock", and that it bolts right on, no CEL. But, with stage 2 requiring a higher-flowing air filter and the SPT intake flowing kinda like stock, is this an issue, or could I simply get a better filter element when I go to stage 2? Long question short, is this intake gonna be a waste of $$$?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2008, 03:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
SPT and COBB's intakes are the only ones that actually work for our cars. If you want to hear your turbo spool up then yes its worth your money. But in reality you don't really need it. Our intakes can go up to 300 WHP.
#3 Old 12-04-2008, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
x2.
Also, if you want turbo noise, you can do the oh-so common snorkel delete.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#4 Old 12-04-2008, 04:08 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
#5 Old 12-05-2008, 02:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
ya i wouldnt waiste your money on an intake untill u get around 300-320hp atleast. i took the snorkus off my wrx and its sounds sweet ! im looking at modding the stock snorkus as well to make it into an elbow so i still get the stock CAI. i dont know if it will get rid of the turbo sound, i hope it dosnt but if it does ill just take it back off. just taking the snorkus off really does sound great though. you get the low growl when you stop the gas pedal and the turbo sounds great.
#6 Old 12-05-2008, 03:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

new 'bru is an unknown
I didn't find the sticky to have the exact info for the SPT I was looking for, only that it's a waste of money, leans out the car, etc., but that the SPT is fine for the stock engine. That's why I asked about the stage 2 with a SPT intake. I'm gonna go with the delete, and then a K&N type panel filter when I go to stage 2.
On a side note, isn't this a forum? I think that if you have read and advised on every topic regarding a given topic, then why even read the thread? Same deal as the r6 forum I'm in. This isn't a library, it's a forum. It's a place to DISCUSS a topic or idea, and perhaps a way to meet new people. I'm sure you've read similar threads before, and I'm not hating on anyone here (dumdum), but if you have no good info, just some hate, then please save it.
Thanks for the helpful responses though. Cheers!!

Last edited by new 'bru; 12-05-2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: proofreading
#7 Old 12-05-2008, 07:26 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
What do you mean about usefule info? Thats the basic breakdown of why intakes arent really needed for the car. If you read the map notes for whatever EM you are using, it should tell you what is needed, or what they consider to be their stage 2 setup. It wont give you any power so why do it? Just for the noise? Its cheaper to get the panel filter and delete.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 12-06-2008, 03:59 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by new 'bru View Post
I didn't find the sticky to have the exact info for the SPT I was looking for, only that it's a waste of money, leans out the car, etc., but that the SPT is fine for the stock engine. That's why I asked about the stage 2 with a SPT intake. I'm gonna go with the delete, and then a K&N type panel filter when I go to stage 2.
On a side note, isn't this a forum? I think that if you have read and advised on every topic regarding a given topic, then why even read the thread? Same deal as the r6 forum I'm in. This isn't a library, it's a forum. It's a place to DISCUSS a topic or idea, and perhaps a way to meet new people. I'm sure you've read similar threads before, and I'm not hating on anyone here (dumdum), but if you have no good info, just some hate, then please save it.
Thanks for the helpful responses though. Cheers!!
No offense but the reason 100% of these type of forums have a F.A.Q. section (frequently asked questions) is because discusing the same question over and over 1000 times makes it hard when people actually try to use the search feature to find specific info on the subject.Nothing like having to post the answer to the same question 1000 times as well......good info right here.

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#9 Old 12-08-2008, 10:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

new 'bru is an unknown
Wow, dumdum, are you trying to get rid of me? J/K That Unibomer's manifesto is VERY informative, I went to read up on the intake, and proceeded to read up on several other topics as well. No wonder you have a billion (I counted) rep points
#10 Old 12-08-2008, 11:27 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Keep in mind that for many years, there were no real good intake options for the WRX which weren't harmful. The SPT intake should work with nearly any setup and doesn't have many of the disadvantages of other designs. However, like you said, it's not much of a gain. It's mostly just a pretty part that makes noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new 'bru View Post
Wow, dumdum, are you trying to get rid of me? J/K That Unibomer's manifesto is VERY informative, I went to read up on the intake, and proceeded to read up on several other topics as well. No wonder you have a billion (I counted) rep points
Yeah, lot of good info there. I do find some of it a little misleading and "watered down" but it's a great place to start. Also, Dumdum's reputation is ONLY 8 bars because if we gave him more, it would make our pages wider.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#11 Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

oldspower71 is an unknown
older thread I know....I wanted to share my experience with the SPT intake w/heatshield. I put the thing on, rest the ECU, took it for a drive, and noticed a "large" power loss. I consider anything that I can actually feel or notice to be large lol. I took it back off, put the stock one back on and the car felt fine. Now the SPT sits in the box destined for ebay. Looked and sounded nice though lol. I think alot of people buy these when their car is brand new because they see it in the spt parts cataologue they give you when you buy the car. They are not really used to how the car feels without the intake so they notice no difference when putting this intake on (I know 3 people who have done it) I convinced them to try it with it off and they did. They said it was as if they just got tuned. lol. Intakes are worthless without a tune and heavily modded wrx imo. I will probably get the silencer delete and drop-in panel filter

Jason
2007 WRX sedan
Cobb Stage 2-protuned by P&L