Sorry, need some help/advice - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-22-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Sorry, need some help/advice

I really hate posting/asking questions. I have been a loyal member here reading as much as possible to learn and understand the car. I have also be searching the internet, reading, comparing and deciding on alot of things for my car. Most of the stuff I am sold and decided on, just need some help with a few minor things to complete my list of upgrades. (I have about another year before I will be able to get this stuff, but am hoping to order some of it now, so it can be waiting on me when I return from my deployment). I will break it down:

I have:
Rota Rims
CBE
Cobb AP V2 STG1

Will be getting for sure:
Cobb SRI (I know I dont need it right now, but)
TurboXS stealthback
Cobb short shifter and bushings
Prosport gauges (Boost, EGT, Oil Pressure in an "A" pillar pod)

Im trying to convince the wife to let me get:
Cobb front/rear sways with adjustable endlinks
Cobb front strut bar
Charge Speed Front lip
PPGs (please God let her say yes to this one )

My trouble is finding and deciding on at least some nice brake lines for all four corners, and possibly a nice set of slotted rotors for all four also. I was also thinking of putting in the/a 3-port BCS while I was at it. I will be getting the car protuned over my stage 2 also, so that isnt a concern. I guess my question is for the brake lines, the rotors and possbely the BCS. If any insight, suggestions, and places to get these items could be had by you members, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for the help and the wealth of knowledge this site provides.

Joshua
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-22-2007, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
http://www.scoobytuner.com/products/...productID=1423 had that on my car and loved it. only i had goodridge lines not stoptech but they helped a lot with stoptech your paying for the name a little bit.

http://www.scoobytuner.com/products/...productID=1383 these are the lines i had.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-22-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Dang Robby what would the subie community be withut you. Man thanks for the help, I will keep these parts in mind.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-23-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Update

Not much feedback like I was hoping, guess Im being impatient, my bad. But a quick update, just got done talking to the wife. Good news I think. She said when I get back that I can/will have $10,000.00 to throw at my car. So it looks like the PPGs are in my future . Have been doing some more seraching for said items above. I found some Stoptech SportStop rotors for the front and rear set for a nice price (I know I just mentioned what my budget was, but dont want to have to spend it all if necessary). Just wondering if anyone had any input on them? I like them as the middle is black so as to not draw added attention to them. And they fit with the stock calipers also. Still undecided on what lines to get. As i read about each of them, just seems like the name is different and not much else. Well thanks again for the help with and knowledge provided.

Joshua
post #5 of 15 Old 09-23-2007, 06:10 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
http://www.subydude.com/osc/product_...5785ac2a1a72b5

Almost every single vendor sells brakelines,i don't know why your having such a hard time finding them.A quick Google search will give you tons of sites that carry brakelines and brake componants as well as a BCS.I'm sorry,not trying to be rude. Lots of info here on brake stuff
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1326319

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #6 of 15 Old 09-23-2007, 06:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
Do you really think you NEED the ppgs? Is it worth the $4,000? You are only going to be at stage II, thats not a lot of power to break your tranny. You will need to drive like a complete ass to break it. Boost controllers just arent a good idea. Let your protuner get your extra boost.

The rest of the stuff looks good. I wish I had the money for the stealthback, was my favorite exhaust.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-23-2007, 11:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

mystilexzero is an unknown
We are almost in the same boat, as for brake lines look at those above, as for tranny its completely up to you whether you decide you need it now or later. I am definately getting ppgs in the near future possiblly summer 2008, as for now I think if you drive smart you should be able to reach a higher horse power goal first to truely appreciate the true potential of ppg's and what they have to offer besides just being able to drive as hard as you like.

If it were me I would go for maybe a FP 18g turbo and its supporting mods.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-24-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
http://www.subydude.com/osc/product_...5785ac2a1a72b5

Almost every single vendor sells brakelines,i don't know why your having such a hard time finding them.A quick Google search will give you tons of sites that carry brakelines and brake componants as well as a BCS.I'm sorry,not trying to be rude. Lots of info here on brake stuff
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1326319
Exactly. As stated I have found many. I just didnt know if there was a difference other than the name. I have never upgraded brakes or brake lines on a car beore. I guess I should have just stuck to my instincts and keep this all to myself and my notepad. Thanks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXforME View Post
Do you really think you NEED the ppgs? Is it worth the $4,000? You are only going to be at stage II, thats not a lot of power to break your tranny. You will need to drive like a complete ass to break it. Boost controllers just arent a good idea. Let your protuner get your extra boost.

The rest of the stuff looks good. I wish I had the money for the stealthback, was my favorite exhaust.
Who doesnt need PPGs? I think that the PPGs are worth every penny if you ask me. I used to think otherwise. But if everyone always thinks about how bad thier tranny is and how worried they are. Why not start at the weakest point. With the tranny out of the way, I will never have to worry about it, and can add as much power as I want to. As far as Stg 2 goes, who knows how much power I will be able to put down with my protune, might just come close to maxing it out. As far as boost controllers go, I know about them, read plenty and seen the trouble they cause. Not getting a boost controller, but rather a 3 port selenoid to replace the stock one with to control and give better/more accurate boost. The stealthback isnt really that expensive I dont think. Check out cvrmotorpsorts.com, they have some good stuff at some decent prices. Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystilexzero View Post
We are almost in the same boat, as for brake lines look at those above, as for tranny its completely up to you whether you decide you need it now or later. I am definately getting ppgs in the near future possiblly summer 2008, as for now I think if you drive smart you should be able to reach a higher horse power goal first to truely appreciate the true potential of ppg's and what they have to offer besides just being able to drive as hard as you like.

If it were me I would go for maybe a FP 18g turbo and its supporting mods.
I dont drive like an ass now, but would be nice to know that I dont have to worry about my transmission anytime soon. I know the potential of the PPGs, and I know that they are the only choice for a WRX transmission. I have thought about the turbo, but without the transmission, you cant drive it like it was really meant to be, at least not too much spirited driving. There was a guy on here put an 18G on his 06, 2 days later needed a tranny. To me that doesnt sound good at all. But that is just my thought about it. Thanks for the feedback.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-24-2007, 10:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
What are ppg's worth???
post #10 of 15 Old 09-24-2007, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Price wise or HP wise? Price wise roughly $5500 with new shifter forks and install (Some people may beg to differ, but thats what I have found, and not from Andrewtech). HP wise I have read in the 800WHP range. Dont ever plan on that, but I do like the saying better safe than sorry.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-24-2007, 03:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
its cheaper to get a full RA tranny($2500CAD for 5spd dogbox but not sure of the ratio) then ... or it the big benefit the gear ratio ?
post #12 of 15 Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
You could do a STi 6 speed swap for less than the PPG's.If you know how to slip the clutch your stock tranny will be fine at your power levels.I would spend that money on suspension upgrades before a tranny.You could easily upgrade to a VF39 or a VF43 with just a TBE,intercooler upgrade and a tune since the 06-07 injectors are bigger than JDM pinks.Tranny should easily hold that if you know how to drive it right.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #13 of 15 Old 09-24-2007, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

RA's arent as strong from everything I have heard and read. Really dont want the STI 6spd. The 5spd is just fine with me. And its not like I dont know how to drive my car at all. But why not get them while I have the money and the go ahead from my wife, and a shop that can install the PPGs for me. Im in the military and I get to move around alot, thats why Im in Iraq right now. And I dont want to be the person that buys 3 different turbos until Im happy, when the time is right I will have a 20G and the supporting mods for it, if not the supporting mods piece by piece. But the more I think about it, Im just going to get the stealthback, SRI, shifter/bushings, PPGs, brake lines, and the suspension I mentioned, thanks for the opinions.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-24-2007, 06:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx3r is more helpful than not
im kinda confused on why wrxforme is knocking you for wanting ppg at only stage two. planning ahead for your mods is the easiest way to save money. you can grenade a wrx tranny stock if you want let alone stage 2. and RA gears are extremly hard to come by now up here in the northwest ppl are waiting 3 months for shops to get them in. plus they arent much stronger if u plan on doing some launchs.

if i had 10 grand to toss at my car i would def look into ppg.

bigger and better than ever
post #15 of 15 Old 09-25-2007, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx3r View Post
im kinda confused on why wrxforme is knocking you for wanting ppg at only stage two. planning ahead for your mods is the easiest way to save money. you can grenade a wrx tranny stock if you want let alone stage 2. and RA gears are extremly hard to come by now up here in the northwest ppl are waiting 3 months for shops to get them in. plus they arent much stronger if u plan on doing some launchs.

if i had 10 grand to toss at my car i would def look into ppg.
Hey man, thanks for some support finally. I kind of thought the same thing, but its cool. I have read enough about the cars and I know where Im headed with it. Just looking forward to getting back to civilization.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement