Short Shift install - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-18-2007, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

slipknot9mt is an unknown
Short Shift install

Hey guys. Got a kartboy short shift with bushings and wondered if anyone could offer up a quick "how to" for the install on my 07wrx. I searched around looking for posts, but most were just posts on different products, but nothing for an install. Anyone done it or know how to do and what I should be looking for. I can get the dash and all out so dont bother explaining all that nonsense...thanks a lot for anyone that replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

jb181 is an unknown
Go to www.kartboy.com look under install they have a link that takes you to scooby mods web site. Real good step by step install instruction with pictures. Did my STI about two months ago pretty easy to do the rear bushing was the biggest pain.

AP 2.0, GT30R Meth Injection
#3 Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

metroscub is more helpful than not
yeah, really quick:
1.take off shift knob
2.remove cover, just grab on each side and pull up and out of the way.(if you have trouble with the shift boot, keep pulling, it will go down, there is a lip that it is stuck on.
3. take of nut from the bolt with a socket and wrench.
4.use wrench to knock out bolt, throw in closet.
5. prepare to pull like hell, grab hold of the stock shifter and pull like hell, there is a ball at the end that is sort of a pain to take out.
6. take new shifter lever and grab some grease off of the new shifter, and lube up the ball, this will make life a lot easier. once greased up, put the ball into the socket(note the bend in the shifter should be away from you, think of the shifter as an arrowhead, the point will be facing the dash). this will take a TON of muscle to do, I suggest taking a flathead screwdriver, and putting it in between the crack in the socket on the rim, then twist the screwdriver causing the socket to open a little, then push it in, the entire process is very simple, just a pain, I suggest using a friend
7.ensuring that your shiny new bushing are back in place, line up the shifter with the rod, then insert bolt, followed by the nut, tighten this all down
8. slip housing back over the shifter, then snap back in place(put the top portion(the part closest to the cubby hole)in first, it is the only way it will go in),
9.push down the boot, reinstall the shiftknob, if you got a different one other than stock, I hope it has a groove, or is short thin enough at the bottom to slip the boot over it.

(if not, take some pipe sealing tape, and wrap the shit out of the shifter until you have a wad big enough to keep the boot up, this will work for a while, then re-application will be necessary, make sure you pipe tape, or else when you go to take the shit off, it will gunky(if you use duct tape or electrical tape or something like).

hope this helps you bud.

Matthew
Wow, it can turn well too?