Subaru WRX Forum banner

seafoam a Subaru wrx

24K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  pjkatz04 
#1 ·
When is it needed to seafoam I have read some forms some people say don't do it others say yes when us it needed and under what circumstances? I don't know my cars past since day one I don't know if they always used quality stuff or cheap since I've had it i only use quality stuff anyways if I do go along with it how is the best way to sea foam a sti?

#2 ·
It is good at breaking up carbon build up in the engine. If you put it through a vac hose that will get it to all cylinders. But you will need to change the spark plugs afterwards. When you use it, I would run it through the vac system before you plan on changing spark plugs. Running it through fuel: you can do that whenever you want. Whether it really helps with fuel systems or not, I don't know. And you can run it through oil right before an oil change, frequency is up to you. Can't tell you if it helps much in the oil either.

#3 ·
Like brockton said, using it in your vac works but, do it before you change your plugs. I have used it in my oil about 50 miles before an oil change but, have stopped doing that purely because our cars have enough bearing problems already without introducing another product to come into contact with them. I'm not saying it's going to hurt them, it's just a precaution of mine. I also quit using it in my fuel because it brought my DAM down last time I did it. Granted, I just "eyeballed" how much to add and did not follow manufacturers suggestion so this could be my fault. It is a great product though. I do use it in my truck and lawn equipment which isn't as finicky. We use it at work so, I have unlimited access.

#4 ·
Ive used it on my honda mower and a few dirt bikes and it works great on carberated engines. Like bookey said I wouldn't put anything but top tier in our subarus. They are much more sensitive than lawn equipment.

If you are looking for cleaner oils check out marvels mystery oil, I would only add it for a hundred mile or so before your change just to be safe.

#5 ·
The only people I know of who use it are home mechanics, however all of the mechanics I know who do it for a living don't recommend this stuff or other similar cleaning products on really high mileage cars. All have the same comment that sometimes that carbon build up is half of what's keeping some engines together. :p

If you're not at super high mileage I wouldn't worry about it though.

#6 ·
I used seafoam a few times in the past on my high mileage engine in the vac line and it was fine after words however a few months later I ended that engine with a spun bearing, coincidental, maybe.

Like stated above something the bad build up is what holds things together after time.

Use at your own risk I guess.

#7 · (Edited)
If you have made any power modifications do NOT use seafoam! These cars are not designed and do not need the stuff. Seafoam is basically just techron which lowers fuel octane level therefore could potentially cause a coil pack burnout under throttle which will create misfiring. I know because i ran it in my tuned n54 did just that. Five burned coils later i learned my lesson. If you're worried about carbon build up simply clean/scrape your intake valves!

#8 ·
I've used seafoam previously, in my jeep not my wrx. Used it a few times on vacuum lines, gas, and crankcase. In my case it didn't achieve much difference. Minor carbon smoke and that was it. Maybe it didn't need it? Couldn't tell you. Last time I used it the jeep had about 190k on it. In the end it appeared to be snake oil. Just my 2c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.