Subaru WRX Forum banner

rattle, headers, and way too much lag

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  b7g 
#1 ·
ok well to start off I'm gonna have to give a little history behind the car... Its an 07 wrx with cobb downpipe, borla hush catback and megan racing headers/uppipe. It has the regular stage 2 cobb map in it too. My mechanic thought it would be a great idea to put a hallman boost controller and a new wastegate with an 18 pound spring in it to spice things up a little. It worked great, hit 17-18 pounds of boost at 2500 rpm and held it to redline, no lie, but one day it was over-boosting and hiting fuel cut until it stopped boosting all together and i got a terrible rattle sound. The old uppipe was leaking so i got the new header combo but there's still a rattle and the boost won't hit until about 3500-4000 rpm, it still hits hard and holds it but it takes so much longer. Any ideas??? Also the rattle is only when I'm not on the gas :: downshifting, letting the gears hold me back. Also when i rev it in neutral as the rpms come down there's a rattle. any help would be great. thanx again

#5 ·
well there isnt an exhaust leak because we've checked all possiblities for that, im hoping its just a loose olt, but my friend told me something could have went in the turbo from over boosting and thats whats rattling, but I'm really trying to figure out whats up with the lag...

#8 ·
You should really need to put a boost controler on the car if you have cobb stage 2 because it takes it up to like 17 18 psi! You should have left the stock headers on it, you only need headers if your going with a bigger turbo. It has to be somthing with the install of the headers, didnt you say it was fine before you put the headers on?

#9 ·
No the problem started after the new wastegate and boost controller is how I read it but i will let the OP clarify.

First issue. boost controllers are bad. Drop it like its hot, get a 3 port boost control solenoid and get it protuned.

Second ie is running the upgraded wastegate. Kinda pointless, but to each his own.

Overboost is a serious problem. Does the turbo whine a lot when you shut the motor off. Kinda sound like a jet engine shutting down?

If it does it sounds like the turbo is shot. Where is the rattling coming from? Did you check the new headers for any burs or little flakes that may have been inside them? You may have sucked something up and toasted the turbo and those pieces may be stuck behind the cat and rattling around...

Robby1898 Im guessing your name is Robby and you were born in 1989. Kinda trippy, My name is Robby and I was born in 1989. ROFL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.