Subaru WRX Forum banner

Q's regarding my new adds

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  rugb_wngr 
#1 ·
This weekend I added the SPT cat-back exhaust (sounds phenominal) and SPT High Flow Air Intake and SPT Intake Heatshield to my '07 WRX.

My Question is this: Should I or do I need to get the car tuned? and if yes, Who should do it? I have read and understand that the new intake will make the fuel mixture lean, but I have also read that during production that Subaru tends to make the stock fuel mixture too rich. Wouldn't they balance each other out? I haven't gotten any codes, so I think I'll be alright.

P.S. I highly recommend the inexpensive exhaust from SPT (no warranty issues). The sound is a deep base like roll, but not loud by any means. The sound is a very subtle statement of the power hidden in the car. The sound of the exhaust is way better than I had ever thought.!Thumbs Up

#4 ·
As stated above a tune for those mods is not needed. But I also have an 07 and my first mod was the Cobb AP V2 and it made a VERY noticable difference to the car before my CBE. I would research engine management for the car as that will need to be your next power mod.

#6 ·
getting an accessport will be the most economical option in the long run. They have online updating, and you can tune for every "stage" with the APV1 and 2. i would suggest a 2 due to the new features. Most tuners that are reputable will use cobb as one of their tuning methods if not their main source. There are many other options though, deending on your budget, your skill level, and available resources. the cobb stage one map would do well for your application, it would help to really smooth things out. Then there is open source, which is sort of the dark art of car tuning, i used to use this method, and did so successfully, but I will tell you, that many have tried and failed, causing unforseen damage to their car's engines and/or ecu's. Opensource reflashes directly to your ecu, where as the cobb uses its own memory for uploading and storage. COBB provides a well engineered piece of tuning equipment, where as, the last I checked, opensource is still in its beta stage. Some tuners use opensource, if going with this option, I would use a tuner, do not try it yourself, I researched for a LONG time before doing it myself, and I still was only lucky. Then there are other ways to go about engine management, including UTEC-delta and hydra. The hydra is a stand alone replacement ECU, which is extremely accurate and very exensive, shallow pockets need not apply. The utec-delta is a "piggy-ecu" engine manager, they can be used for extremely intracate tuning, and run about 2-300 dollars more than a COBB acessport. Hope this might have shed some light for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.