Pulled over for illegal exhaust... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-18-2007, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

cobra121990 is an unknown
Pulled over for illegal exhaust...

Yesterday I got pulled over, I was going 48 in a 45. I had my radar detecter and everything on and the cop pulled out behind me so I knew right away. I was going the speed limit pretty much at least. Anyways I almost got ticketed for my exhaust but I got a warning and I need to fix it. Problem. I spent $400 on a cheap ebay exhaust. Full 3 inch piping with a 4.5 inch tip. Catless. Now I need to get the quietest exhaust I can. Money isn't really an issue but onviously cheaper is better. Any suggestions for as 'street legal' of an exhaust as I can get, but still full turbo-back and quiet. I was thinking the cobb tbe and maybe even weld another highflow cat in there.... I don't know. Help me out??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2007, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

BigJay is an unknown
Try an insert....you can usually find them on E-bay pretty cheaper. it just slides into the inside of the exhaust tip and should quiet it down. .....Or switch to a Borla Hush.

BigJay-My 04 Rex loves mustangs to death literally
#3 Old 11-18-2007, 05:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Borla hush, maddad whisper, prodrive (round or oval tip), spt/bosal, mrt, greddy evo & sp3, and scoobysport all come to mind.

If you decide to get a mad-expensive cobb turboback, you can get one with a cat in the downpipe already.
#4 Old 11-18-2007, 05:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

I have a insert in there right now which makes the hole about an inch. Its pretty much stock quiet right now. But im not hitting anywhere near the right boost targets and its real laggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post

If you decide to get a mad-expensive cobb turboback, you can get one with a cat in the downpipe already.
I know it comes with one cat but i need this new exhaust to be really reallllly quiet. I was thinking adding another cat to that, my friend owns a racing shop and he put one on a car a few weeks ago and it quiets the exhaust a lot more and barely restricts flow.
#5 Old 11-18-2007, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
resonators are less of a restriction and have a quieting effect as well.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#6 Old 11-18-2007, 11:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd4life is an unknown
Im pretty sure that the Borla Hush is the quietest on the market. It says that it is actually a couple of dB's quieter than stock at cruising speeds.
#7 Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXKidid775 View Post
resonators are less of a restriction and have a quieting effect as well.
I was going to suggest another resonator as well.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#8 Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
well if he sent you off with a warning.. and no ticket...... i wouldnt fix it unless you got pulled over for it agin.... why pay madd$$$$$ for a new exuast...???
iff you get a ticket next time just get an inset to quiet it and bring it to fuzz within 24 hours and show them you got it fixed and they will waive the ticket... if not its like 120$ ticket no biggy
#9 Old 11-19-2007, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

SUBYWRX77 is an unknown
ya i would not change for anyone!! the ticket is fine for me.... hks d/p and a jic magic 3 in catback ... loud as all hell!!!
#10 Old 11-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
SPT, Prodrive, and Borla Hush are the three quietest I know of. Is the ticket for noise or is it for emissions? That makes a huge difference. If it's just for noise, yeah, just get a new cat back and you're good. But if it's for emissions, you're in a whole new mess of things because everything is debatable.

A turboback is techically illegal. You cannot tamper or remove/replace any cats unless it's been deemed defective by a mechanic. If you have a cat in the downpipe, many places won't question you as long as it passes the emissions test, assuming your state has one.

More detail on the ticket would help.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#11 Old 11-19-2007, 03:41 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
it's the massive tip. That's the only reason they give a shit. I keep telling you guys. Twin tip. Twin tip. It's like totally invisible to them.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#12 Old 11-19-2007, 03:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

TDub is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to TDub Send a message via MSN to TDub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
SPT, Prodrive, and Borla Hush are the three quietest I know of. Is the ticket for noise or is it for emissions? That makes a huge difference. If it's just for noise, yeah, just get a new cat back and you're good. But if it's for emissions, you're in a whole new mess of things because everything is debatable.

A turboback is techically illegal. You cannot tamper or remove/replace any cats unless it's been deemed defective by a mechanic. If you have a cat in the downpipe, many places won't question you as long as it passes the emissions test, assuming your state has one.

More detail on the ticket would help.
Sorry for the hijacking the thread, but how is an officer going to determine that you've tampered with anything past the cat and give you a ticket for an illegal exhaust?

and I agree with mosc, (but it's because every other 4 cylinder (and some 6) on the road has to have a gigantic coffee can for an exhaust and they're always obnoxiously loud and raspy )
#13 Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

dre44rocks is an unknown
guess ## radar detector didnt do its job if it pulled out right beheind u and got u lol
#14 Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre44rocks View Post
guess ## radar detector didnt do its job if it pulled out right beheind u and got u lol
actually the radar did do its job seeing as he told me i was going only 48... in case you didnt know what a radar detector does, it simply tells you when a cop is running radar, not scamble it or make it so he can't clock you...

and

the cop had a little handheld decibal reader and tested it right there. The ticket would have been for an illegal exhaust because of the noise... I don't have emissons for a looong time. Basically I just want to get the quietest exhaust I can but not lose any power. My friends tell me the borla hush isnt that great of a cat-back because it may be full 3 inch piping but it tapers to 2.5 ... so i need an adapter pipe just for that and I'm still getting robbed that half an inch. Would the borla still make as much power???
#15 Old 11-20-2007, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PVMNT View Post
well if he sent you off with a warning.. and no ticket...... i wouldnt fix it unless you got pulled over for it agin.... why pay madd$$$$$ for a new exuast...???
iff you get a ticket next time just get an inset to quiet it and bring it to fuzz within 24 hours and show them you got it fixed and they will waive the ticket... if not its like 120$ ticket no biggy
well problem there too... the cop is the captain in my town... and I live in a VERY small town. our highschool has 900 kids in it. Theres a few WRX's but mine's the newest and just seems to piss the cops off the most. My dad knows the cop and the cop basically told my dad I had to fix it or I'm getting ticketed soon... so my dad's heated and he doesnt really care about the price of the new exhaust. so if a whole new downpipe thats catted and whatever else is what I need thats what I'm going to have to get.

My friend suggested the turbo xs with the 5 inch bellmouth and 4 inch downpipe... it has a resonater and muffler and a high flow cat. do u agree??