project 0foursti - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-28-2008, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
project 0foursti

Im planning on dumping 10-15k into my car this winter and im not sure where to start. i know i want to run a gt 35r turbo kit. But the thing im not sure about is the car has 64 k on it and it seems to run awsome but is it worth the money to put that turbo on stock internals, because i wanna do a really beefy motor like the coseworth sti long block with big valves but the price for almost everything is 25k. Should i do the turbo set up on the stock motor until it blows so i have to replace it or should i buy the motor? The reason im not sure is because im assuming if i wanted to do the motor I'd need to put a beefy turbo on it at the same time where as i could probly put just do the turbo on the stock motor with all supporting mods of course, but again i might even go more over board due to the fact i got blown away by an 03 cobra on the highway which i know my car isnt good on high at 75 but i just wanna put the pedal to the floor and see yea i am a total adrenilne junk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The internals aren't that crappy. The 35R is a pretty laggy turbo with massive top end. Also, your 6-speed is not indestructible. I hate lag, but that's me. Also, you should know that on the freeway, the AWD advantage is gone. It's just added weight and drivetrain losses. You're also short 4 cylanders. There are going to be lots of cars that can bury you in acceleration at those speeds even if you're over 400whp. It's just the nature of the beast. If you want a high speed car or a drag car, the STi is a poor pick.

I'd first recommend picking up a nice clean miata, turboing it, and having a blast. They handle better than anything at 10x the price and a built motor with a turbo can push 250rwhp which when your weight is like 2300lbs, it's enough to shape a lot of v8s. For 15k, You could have one hell of a sunday driver. 2 cars also are nice in that when one is down, the other still runs.

Now, If you want to spend it on the STi, I'd go with a twin scroll solution. It's going to be expensive to get the plumbing you want but the result is less lag and a squarer torque curve.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
cool thanx for the tip i love my sti best thing i ever bought now the piping for the twin scroll avalible or is it hard to come by? I was even thinking about making my own, because im also gunna make my own intake manifold. i want a 700hp beast thats why i wanted to do the cosworth motor. i just want the thing to be an all out monster, no lag and top end but i dont think thats impossible its going to be either less lag or more top end
#4 Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 PM

Garage
APS TSR Ball Bearing Turbocharger System
APS Equal Length Split Pulse Headers
APS D/R 725 Front Mount Intercooler System
APS DR Series Tumbler Valve Delete Manifold Housing

Got money left?

You'll need an EWG, some custom piping for the wastegate dump (preferably into the DP if you like to do things above board), and maybe a big ass intake manifold. A tuner you trust too...

Should get close to 500whp and spool like a 30R

#5 Old 08-29-2008, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
Wow you have been alot of help thank you so much.
#6 Old 08-29-2008, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
With that APS frount mount...... Get it black. I've seen it in person, or rather, BARELY seen it. It's seriously sweet, especially on 06-07's...... For external wastegates, usually TiAL is the most popular, other than them I don't know anyone else. I'm assuming that's what EWG means, correct?

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#7 Old 08-29-2008, 05:43 PM

Garage
yes, although most of the cost will be in plumbing. You'll need something custom. The actual wastegate is pretty cheap.

#8 Old 08-29-2008, 05:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Yeah, you'd probably be able to get it done at a exhaust shop, but even then i don't think you can. My brother's shop doesn't touch anything that's not smog-legal, for liability issues. You could always try telling them the dimensions and everything, and not tell them what you plan on using it for, but even then they might not let you do it. They didn't even let my brother install the intake he made for his integra there... He had to mock it up, and install it at home.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#9 Old 08-29-2008, 05:51 PM

Garage
There's no reason you couldn't run that setup with a cat. APS's downpipe for example is easy to merge in an external wastegate path and then still have room for the CAT below. Yes you can make 500whp with a CAT.

#10 Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
I thought EWG's are illegal, OH, if it's not re-routed huh? Good plan, you could leave a cat in there.... I honestly dont beleive in the hype of getting a cat-delete and gaining 10hp... Cat's aren't THAT restrictive normally.... unless they have 160k+ miles on the original cat lol..... (like my brother's integra) So you could still easily put down some serious hp with a catted dp huh?

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
#11 Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
is there a difference with plumbing the ewg into the downpipe than just leaving it external? more or less power gains? less of and exhaust smell? Right now Im running a helix catted bellmouth down pipe and i love it. it gives a nice sound, but the cat is at the top of the dp verses the bottom so id think it would be hard to plumb ewg to that. Id do most my own custom plumbing ### im a welder and my father can weld anything hes one of the best welders I know. You should see his stainless welds amazing. I wouldnt run anything but a catted dp because theres no smell and it gives it a different tone and I like that but you guys have been awsome and other tips and advice would be great. Now what can the stock sti motor handle for hp? Anyone running a 2.7 stroker? That would be mint, or could you tell me alil more about it?
#12 Old 08-29-2008, 11:19 PM

Garage
shoaf's running a 2.75 stroker I think but so much else on that car I don't know if that answers your question.

You might want to pick up the APS downpipe then and sell your helix. You'll get money back for that, it's a popular part. The APS design is 2-piece and the bottom piece is where the cat is so it works well with fancier setups. It's also a clean pipe piece that will be easier to weld into. Not the cheapest solution but then again, that twin scroll kit is not cheap to begin with.

If you like the sound and the pleasant odor of your STi now, I think it'd be work getting the APS piping. Hell, maybe you could make something yourself?