Project 06 STi - Page 5 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#61 Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
As I'm finding with mine, the STi tranny is so tight that you only get about 2500rpms of useful power band anyway. Full boost at 4k RPMs is about perfect for all of second gear being under peak torque while still utilizing what RPMs you can make. 4k rpms would be lag on a WRX 5-speed but the 6-speed lines up a lot nicer.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 10-10-2008, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I'd have to agree.
#63 Old 10-12-2008, 12:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

0fourSTI is an unknown
In response to scooby tuner. I want the car to be a dailey driver for now but id like it to be great in all aspects pretty quick in the quarter and great for autocross but basicly a show car, so I can enjoy all kinds of things. I know in order to do this there are some sacrafices to be made but Im a car guy I just dont know my sti like I did with all my mustangs and trans ams thanks
#64 Old 10-13-2008, 06:09 PM

ScoobyTuner is more helpful than not
Send a message via MSN to ScoobyTuner
Sounds pretty good 0fourSTI. With that in mind, I would recommend looking into perhaps a 20G or a FP Green/SZ-49. I have heard nothing but good things about both turbos from STi owners. They are bigger than OEM (obviously ) but they aren't so big that they will affect streetabilty and increase more spool time than what you want. With either of those turbo's you can run a FMIC though on the green/SZ-49 I personally would recommend going with a front mount, with the 20G it's your choice.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks for that input MOSC . It's a good point to put out that I didn't think of when you compare the 6 spd tranny's to the WRX 5 spd. They are quite different and if you haven't every driven an STi, it's harder to understand.
#65 Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
What I drool over is this:
Forced Performance Turbochargers: Subaru FP 20G Turbocharger

When I was shopping for an STi, I would have told you I'd eventually end up with a TD05-18G but after driving the STi for a while, you realize how ridiculous 300tq is at 3000rpms in a 3200lb car. Especially with the tight 6-speed, pushing the power band up a little higher is not that laggy. You come off of first at say 6500rpms and you're already at 4k in 2nd before the thing's even spooled. The heads on the STi really handle the larger turbos nicer than the WRX as well.

The FP Green is another excellent choice but for those who passionately hate lag (guilty), it's a little on the large size. It's a great turbo for those who have a more balanced approach though.

FP has a great discussion suggesting that for those who use pump gas, you might not want as big a turbo as you think as well. I tend to agree with this strongly. Basically, the "mosc" recommendations are (forgive the arrogance of that statement):

EJ205: TD05-16G (Evo3)
EJ255: TD06-18G
EJ257: TD06-20G
Built-up 2.5L+ EJ motor: GT30R or APS TSR70 (for those who are loaded)
Maybe up all of those a size if you intend to use race gas.

Oh, and no disrespect to the SZ-55 intended! You guys are building a beast. I'm sure farting around town on pump gas isn't the only thing you've got planned for your STi though...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#66 Old 10-14-2008, 10:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Nice list their mosc...from what i've been reading though. I'm beginning to dislike FP turbos. It sounds like they won't stand behind their product when it fails. Don't know much about deadbolt. But, I'm guilty of being persuaded to the blouch route. Everything i've heard about blouch. Such as, they will actually re-emburse people for a turbo failure and give a free rebuild. Unlike, FP free re-build after inspection...no re-embursement. I dunno...severely off topic. Sorry.
#67 Old 10-22-2008, 06:43 PM

ScoobyTuner is more helpful than not
Send a message via MSN to ScoobyTuner
None taken MOSC. We are taking it in very soon to get some pulls over at Cobb so hopefully we should have some numbers here soon. We know the Deadbolt turbo's aren't the most popular turbo's out there especially the SZ-55 but we hope that after this build, we can get some "buzz" generated about them.

Me personally I still don't know what I'm going to do about the whole "power" aspect of the car. My future "to buy" list consists of a seat (Sparco Corsa), gauges, and coilovers. Then possibly I'll go on to the power. Right now I'm only using the Stage 2 MAP from Cobb. But my brakes and suspension are well endowed (with the exception of the coilovers of course. )