Project 06 STi - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 08-05-2008, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Ah....hmm, makes me wonder if mine is then. I must've read it wrong....i thought it said all 6 speed were SS. But i guess not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-05-2008, 05:44 PM

ScoobyTuner is more helpful than not
Send a message via MSN to ScoobyTuner
I know my STi wasn't because there was a BIG difference between the stock and the Cobb shifter.
#33 Old 08-19-2008, 02:40 PM

A quick update on the build... It's underway and the engine is in pieces. We should have some pictures posted this week. As soon as I can get them uploaded I'll post them up.

I had my track day on the 16th out at Miller Motorsports Park.

It was a "Lap Battle" competition that was set up in different classes (AWD, RWD, and FWD) though we all were on the track at the same time. We did the East Track and I hadn't done that one before. We did the West track last year for the Cobb track day. My first session I knew I wasn't going to be fast as I was trying to learn the track and find the best lines more than anything. My best time for the first session was a 2.02.53.

I was one of the few running street tires. Everyone else had some "R" compunds and alot of... oh what's that other thing called again? Oh yeah EXPERIENCE!! This was only my third track day so I am still in the learning stages. The second session was alot better. I had moved up to a 159.25 so I had broke the 2 min. marker. I rotated my tires after that session. Here are a few pics of the rotation: The tires after 2 sessions...

The 3rd session was my best of the day pulling in a 158.72. I was pretty stoked with that seeing as some of the guys running had more track time under the belt and I was pulling faster lap times and also that the conditions of the track were getting worse as the day went on. With that time. I qualified for the actual Lap Battle event. I was the slowest of the fastest so everyone that was slower than me was cut and could not participate. I had the most fun during that session. I was loving it and the car was running great. I wasn't overheating and the handling was ideal. I know for next time... I need to get some "R" compound racing tires... oh and that experience thing. I know that will help the most.

Here are some other pictures that I was able to take. I don't have any racing unfortunately because I was driving and there were no passengers allowed.
Some sweet Ferrari's: (They weren't racing)

The competition: That EVO and NSX were so fast it wasn't funny.)

#34 Old 08-20-2008, 02:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

aeneas is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyTuner View Post
NP Josh.

Turmic - I believe that both the 5 spd and the 6 spd are available in the short shifter option from Subaru. I know that mine didn't come with that option because when we had our 07 STi Limited, I drove that and it did have the SS option from Subaru and there was a big difference. Comparing the 5 spd to the 6 spd, I don't know if one is shorter than the other. I did drive an 02 WRX the other day that also had the SS option from Subaru and it felt like a shorter shift than my 6 spd.

I'll try and take some picture of the shifter tonight and post them up.

Thanks for the input guys!
do you know if that option will appear anywhere in documentation? like on the dealership window paper thing or somewhere. Im about to buy a kartboy shifter and i dont want to waste my money if its not going to change anything. my shifter has shorter throws than even my miata which was pretty short and just a bit longer than an s2000s which are just ridiculous. anyone know if that would make it a ss?
#35 Old 08-20-2008, 10:00 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
well, don't you have any locals who own WRX's to compare it to? If you think it's short already, why are you worried about it?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#36 Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

aeneas is an unknown
i dont know anyone that has one. I would like to know because, like i said, i am going to buy a kartboy shifter and would like to know if it will be worth it. My reason for doing that is to hopefully get it feeling like my friends s2k.
#37 Old 08-20-2008, 04:00 PM

I'm not 100% sure how to find out. aybe if you called your dealership and give them the last 8 digits of your VIN. They might be able to tell you if your car has one that way but again I'm not 100% sure.
#38 Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 PM

Garage
drive a new one and see if it's about the same or substantially longer.

hell, you can just try it on the showroom floor

#39 Old 08-20-2008, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

aeneas is an unknown
right after i said that there werent any wrxs around where i live i saw two at my college today, but theyre both stis. i really wish they werent there though because i really would like an 04 sti and theyre like torture to look at
#40 Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Haha, STI envy strikes again.
#41 Old 08-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Then I'm sorry I have to post these. This was me during the 3rd session:

#42 Old 08-21-2008, 04:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
because i really would like an 04 sti and theyre like torture to look at
mmm, 04 STi... tasty

#43 Old 08-22-2008, 11:04 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Chirs nice pics and congrats on doing well and having fun.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#44 Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
what setting do you have the dccd on when racing?, im assuming full rear, or auto

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#45 Old 08-22-2008, 03:58 PM

Thank you for the comments guys.

I did have it in auto though next time I will have it slightly to the rear. The car was very balanced with the swaybars and all the handling goodies (though I would really like some coilovers). I even had the rear come out on me once doing about 65 around a corner called the "Clubhouse Corner". I was able to correct it doing a nice little drift which worked out because it pointed me right where I needed to go to be set up to enter the next turn. It was definately not on purpose but hey... it worked out and nothing bad happened. Another STi spun out on that same corner in front of me on the last session.

Here is a picture of the track. Miller Motorsports Park: We did the EAST TRACK. It's the one on the left in case the letters are too small.