Please Help ASAP - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-29-2007, 02:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

mamundo is an unknown
Please Help ASAP

Hey guys, I currently live in Honduras Central America, which means that the closest tuner shop or any aftermarket car parts shop is a million-gazillion miles away. Luckily, I've been blessed with the opportunity of going to the U.S. (Delaware) but just for a few day (business meeting). So, I'm kindly asking for forgiveness (of not doing research, but hey I'm leaving in two days!) and if you could tell me what would be the best turbo to buy for my 06 wrx, I have the FP Green in mind, since it's a bolt-on and pretty much reads the numbers that I want to achieve. But if you could suggest of any better bolt-on turbo, be my guest. And about the FP Green, if I choose the 8 cm housing (which I'm thinking is the best), will I have to do some kind of custom fitment to something that it is attached to (like downpipe, uppipe)? And what is better? External Wastegate (is it user-friendly?) or Internal Wastegate (will it restrict me of producing more power?) Also, a friend of mine is selling an APS SR55, what do you think? Is it better than the FP Green? Or is it the other way around?

For the turbo upgrade, I will only be putting on for now... Walbro Fuel Pump, SMC Alcohol Injection Kit, 800 cc Injectors, APS or Perrin 3" Inlet (Don't have it yet, but I guess I will have to buy it), TurboXS 3" Catless Turbo Back Exhaust, TurboSmart E-Boost 2; but sincerely, won't have the money of buying a bigger TMIC nor a FMIC. I'm guessing some of you sooner or later will tell me "Say goodbye to your tranny" but that's a whole another story, so don't worry about and let us just discuss about the engine.

Any opinions are enormously appreciated, and if you could tell me where to buy it even more, if you tell me where I can buy this things in Delaware then I'd be in debt with you for the rest of my life. But if not, do you know of any webpage other than FP, that sells the Green turbo lower than them ($1,399.00) Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

mamundo is an unknown
Morning Bump
#3 Old 05-30-2007, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
afternoon Bump Your mod list sounds good, but you could try
gruppe-s.com

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#4 Old 05-30-2007, 01:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

squidz is more helpful than not
The turbo you want to use really depends on the amount of power you want to make. If you are looking for 450 WHP, then yes, the FP green is awesome, one of the best turbo's made for our cars in my opinion. However, if you only want to make 350-400 WHP, then it's way too big. If you want over 450, then you really need to go with a rotated mount setup. Either way, the FP green is freaking awesome, and i personally think it's a much better turbo than the APS, and you can actually get support for the FP, unlike APS stuff.

The 8cm housing is the way to go...will help you achieve better numbers with less boost creep. If you plan on running anything under 20psi boost (which i would doubt with an FP Green), then get the 7cm housing. Either way, no other mods are needed to make it fit with your uppipe / downpipe.

The stock intercooler on your car is not going to work well with an FP. You need to change it...wait, since you are in another country...does the 06 wrx there have the smaller "half intercooler"? if it does, get an intercooler off of an earlier WRX, or even better, an STI top-mount. You can pick both of these up really cheap on ebay.

The rest of your mods look great! Good choices. There isn't any place better to buy an FP turbo except directly from them...they have the best prices and customer service. As far as where to buy crap in Delaware...i have no idea. Down here in Texas, we don't even recognize that was a State. (J/K!!!!) Maybe someone from up there can help him out with a good parts slinger in that area?

--Squidz

Sonic Yellow Bugeye
a.k.a. - "Amber"
#5 Old 05-30-2007, 01:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
the FP green ain't gunna hit 450whp. You're thinking of the red.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
the FP green ain't gunna hit 450whp. You're thinking of the red.
According to FP's website...and the flow charts i have seen, the FP Green will do 400-450. most i have gotten out of one was about 420 whp on an STI...but Fp has been pretty reliable about information.

Check it out....

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...e=NTWRXFPGREEN

--Squidz

Sonic Yellow Bugeye
a.k.a. - "Amber"
#7 Old 05-30-2007, 05:06 PM

Garage
these are the same ppl who quote 350whp for a 16G. I'm sorry but 420whp is already bleeding edge for that turbo (mattering how high your dyno reads).

#8 Old 05-30-2007, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

You're a very negative person...anyone ever told you that?

Either way, I have to go ahead and agree with him , after looking at the flow charts for the FP Green again, 400-420 is going to be about the max for it...but it's still a great turbo! I also looked back at the dyno sheets for the STI we tuned with the green on it, and we were running the snot out of it with pretty high exhaust temps...so it was way maxxed out.

Te FP red will do 450...and it's still a stock-mount...but it does require a bigger inlet pipe.

--Squidz

Sonic Yellow Bugeye
a.k.a. - "Amber"
#9 Old 05-30-2007, 07:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

mamundo is an unknown
Thanks for all of your replies!! FINALLY! Hahaha. A couple more things, though. If I buy the 3" Inlet is it obligatory to buy the TGV Deletes? Will the Utec be able to manage the Utec (better yet, will I?) the Green Turbo? And if there's some map that I can find with these kind of mods that I'll be setting. Oh BTW, 400 whp is more than enough for me, sad news though, is that in my country there's only drag racing.

A detail that I haven't mentioned before and that hopefully you'll help is that for Engine Management I'll be using a TurboXS UTEC made for a 2005 STI, which a friend of mine wrecked and sold the Utec to me; my car is a 2006 WRX, I bought it because a friend of mine uses one in his 2004 WRX, he told me the only thing that you have to do is load the parameters for a 2006 wrx. What do you guys think? Because I can buy the 06 Delta, but I would love to save the money if I can work with this STI's Utec.
#10 Old 05-31-2007, 12:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

mamundo is an unknown
Afternoon Bump
#11 Old 05-31-2007, 12:54 PM

Garage
You do have a USDM 06 model, right? EJ25?

TGV deletes I don't think are required. Somebody else can correct me if I'm wrong. You could remove them yourself for $0 if you're good with that kind of thing.

I don't know enough about the UTEC to tell you but I think it would work. Certainly the utec can handle the green (you'll need a EBC though probably) but if one for an 05 STi will work or not I dunno if it's compatible.

#12 Old 05-31-2007, 12:55 PM

Garage
oh, and you asked about wastegates. External is better and will make some difference with something as large as a green. If you're going to get a new up+down anyway, might as well get em with an EWG and get the green accordingly.

#13 Old 05-31-2007, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
EWG will give you better boost control.

TGV deletes are never necesary but can help add a little bit of power up top.

I have seen people run a gt30r on the utec and have no issues. you will get more power out of a MAP based system like the AEM or the Hydra but again if your ona budget i say stay with the utec. STi utec wont work.... with that said i would spend the extra money and go to a standalone ems if you dont have to deal with inspections.

you cant run a standard map with the green you NEED a custom tune.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#14 Old 05-31-2007, 05:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXKidid775 View Post
EWG will give you better boost control.

TGV deletes are never necesary but can help add a little bit of power up top.

I have seen people run a gt30r on the utec and have no issues. you will get more power out of a MAP based system like the AEM or the Hydra but again if your ona budget i say stay with the utec. STi utec wont work.... with that said i would spend the extra money and go to a standalone ems if you dont have to deal with inspections.

you cant run a standard map with the green you NEED a custom tune.
The UTEC system is capable of tuning from a map sensor. It also has electronic boost control built into it (although, admitadely not as good as an independent EBC).

Either way, that system will work fine on your wrx, the only difference between the models of UTEC is the software they have installed on them. If you get the right maps for your car, it should work fine.

--Squidz

Sonic Yellow Bugeye
a.k.a. - "Amber"
#15 Old 05-31-2007, 06:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
are you sure? i thought the utecs were model specific.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.