perrin pulley? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-17-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

boostspike is more helpful than not
perrin pulley?

so i have had this perrin LW pulley for months now trying to decide to put it on or not. I have 80,000mi on my wrx so who thinks i should do it and if no then why? thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-18-2009, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you already have it, why haven't you put it on already? The install is very simple - there is actually a really helpful video that tells you everything you need to know in order to do the install yourself here: HSPN TV - HD Videos on Demand - Powered by HSPN Networks, LLC. I have a Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley on my 2007 WRX. I installed it myself when I had 9,800 (+/-) miles on the car and now I have over 32,000 miles on my car. I have had absolutely no problems with it. If/when you get rid of your car, it's just as easy to uninstall it and you could sell it on eBay or somewhere else and make a few bucks. Just curious, what's stopping you from making this decision? The underdrive pulleys are the ones that people typically can have problems with, not the lightweight ones. A lightweight pulley simply removes rotating mass from your car and probably gives you slightly better gas mileage and slightly better horsepower. Are you worried about your car dying soon with "so many" miles on it? I'd be willing to bet it will last well into the 100,000's before it craps out on you.

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 4 Old 04-18-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

boostspike is more helpful than not
i was just worried if there would be any issue's with the fact its not dampened like the stock one is. i really don't want to have problems with my bottom end n would like my engine to last as long a possible
post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2009, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
As long as you get it on there the right way, torque everything to spec, adjust your belt tensions to about where they were when you started, and make sure the belts are in good working order, you shouldn't have any problems. If anything, it'll be better for your engine because it will be working slightly less hard to move things. The dampening associated with the crank pulley isn't really a huge issue with our cars because of the way the engines were designed. I think you'll be pretty surprised at how heavy the stock pulley is compared to the aftermarket lightweight piece.

John
07 WRX