Perrin cat-back exhaust (street tuned) - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Here's a pretty good link with pics that shows how to trim your stock heat shield to fit over a bellmouth dp: How To: How to: Cut you stock turbo heat shield to fit bell mouth DP - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

And I tried to take pics of my donut gasket to show the grooves that were left in it, but you really can't see them very well. If you can imagine, the angled part on the side of it has a little circular wedge cut into it where the edge of the cat back was snugged onto it. Mine only crushed in a few millimeters, but it's relatively soft material, so I could easily see how over time the slight movement of the cat back against the gasket would just wear a deeper and deeper groove into it and eventually just start to leak. Honestly, you'll probably be fine using the donut gasket for a while. Just know that it's relatively soft material and it's not really made to support the edge of a pipe so it will form indentations over time. I'd maybe take a look at it every time you change your oil and make sure the bolts are snug or especially if you start to hear an exhaust leak or smell excessive fumes in the cabin. Honestly, if I had to guess, you'll probably be fine until you get your downpipe, but I just wanted to point out a possible concern with that setup.

Worst case, you might have to buy a replacement donut gasket once in a while and I don't think they're terribly expensive.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Oh ok, I feel better now...thanks...I'm ok with maybe having to buy a new gasket eventually, I'm just not cool with a hole in the CB...but good, now I won't rush to buy a DP (even though I still want to lol)
#33 Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
To answer your question I've been running my COBB for 6 months now and I haven't noticed any leaks.

-Chris
#34 Old 12-02-2009, 10:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
To answer your question I've been running my COBB for 6 months now and I haven't noticed any leaks.
Ok great, that reassures me even more...thanks guys!
#35 Old 12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Hey ok one more question (sorry)... Is the heat shield from a WRX the same as an STi? Because I really don't want to cut the stock one I have and I was thinking maybe I'll just buy another stock one to cut. Well I can get one off of a 2007 WRX STI for like $29 shipped...but I gotta know is it going to fit my car!? You guys know?
#36 Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Ok you know what forget that last question... I called two different dealerships and they both told me that the stock heat shield is the same for an 06-07 WRX as an 05-07 STi! So I went ahead and bought the one I saw on ebay! It was from like I said an 07 STi and I got it for $29 shipped! So hopefully that means the best of both worlds, better heat containment (most likely because its shaped better) and it was cheaper! The only downside is no bling, but I can live with that! Thanks again guys!
#37 Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Heh, I can sense your excitement...

Great 3" cat back - check.

AP V2 with preloaded Stage 2 maps - check.

Extra heat shield and instructions for how to trim it to perfectly complement a bellmouth dp - check.

Having the ability to convert everything back to stock - check.

Now the only thing that remains is the bellmouth dp and a fresh turbo to dp gasket and some spare time for installation...

+26.0% HP and +31.0% TQ (give or take), here you come!

John
#38 Old 12-02-2009, 02:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Haha...you are correct sir!

And sorry one final question....I need to mod the heat shield to fit the "bellmouth" downpipe... but if I get the Invidia, which is a divorced, that technically is still considered a "bellmouth" style correct? Because instead of the wastgate being covered by a plate it would now have an opening for air to flow through, correct?
#39 Old 12-02-2009, 03:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yep, cut the shield as if it was going to cover a bellmouth dp.

John
#40 Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplnmdls View Post
but if I get the Invidia, which is a divorced, that technically is still considered a "bellmouth" style correct? Because instead of the wastgate being covered by a plate it would now have an opening for air to flow through, correct?
The first statement is wrong in a sense. The Bellmouth and divorced made from the same company will look the same on the outside. Once you see inside the DP at the divorced section. That will be where it should have a divider section. Hence the name. Bellmouth is just the name for the DP that has nothing seperating the wastegate gases. The stock DP doesn't have a plate cover on the wastegate. Its just forced into a smaller opening. Think of it more along the lines of a restrictor plate in the stock DP.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#41 Old 12-03-2009, 06:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Gotcha, thanks guys!
#42 Old 04-13-2010, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Finally Got A DP!

Hey guys! Long time no talk...school's big kickin' my butt but other than that the Subie's doing good. Starting with smaller mods, I got a few things...

-35% smoke headlight/taillight tint
-Front & rear strut bars
-New cabin air filter

Other than that a few days ago I cut my extra stock turbo heat shield I bought, which I think looks pretty decent, and we'll see how it works. And then tonight I purchased from a guy on nasioc.com his Cobb catted DP which he had on his car for about 10k miles. I got it for $450 (u think that was an ok deal? I think so...) so I'm pretty pumped! I'll mention how the install goes after it happens!

I would put a couple of images up but it seems like it doesn't want to work right now...
#43 Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Downpipe finally installed!

Hey everyone! Well I finally did it! It took my friend and I about 5 hours but we installed my Cobb downpipe! I had already cut an extra heat shield and bought everything else that was needed. After it was bolted up, I ran the Cobb Accessport and I have to say it feels great! The thing I noticed the most was how much smoother the car felt going through the gears. I kind of thought it was actually slower at first but then I looked down at my speedometer lol...Overall it was a great install and would highly recommend it!

Stage 2 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
#44 Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Glad to hear everything went well. Are you out of mods for now or planning something else?

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#45 Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Haha well I got a lot more to pay off on her still so now I think I'm going to stick with that...if anything else probably sway bars and tint!

Stage 2 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon