Perrin cat-back exhaust (street tuned) - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 11-23-2009, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Perrin cat-back exhaust (street tuned)

Hey guys, well I'm looking into buying this exhaust off of this guy...He has a Perrin cat-back exhaust, the street tuned version. Also, He says that he wanted the stealth version but they sent him the regular one, so he painted it himself flat black. It was only running on his car for about 9 months until he wanted a new, louder exhaust. It seems I would be getting a really great deal on this, and he said its similar to this one ( Perrin Performance - Cat-Back Exhaust (Sport) ) only it was the street tuned not sport tuned (which apparently they don't make anymore)... So my questions are...
1) Have any of you heard this exhaust before? If so, how does it sound? I want something kinda quiet, like I was looking into Cobb or SPT, how does this compare?
2) Do you think this is a good exhuast in general?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 11-23-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Bump...any experience with it at all?

Also do you think the flat black paint is better or worse that the stainless look? I mean in looks or quality...
post #3 of 45 Old 11-23-2009, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I don't have any personal experience with it, but Perrin is a good quality name brand, so I'd assume the cat back is probably just fine, quality-wise. As far as the flat black paint, I bet that looks pretty nice too - as long as it's not chipping or cracking. If you can get it for a pretty good deal, I'd say go for it. It sounds like it's 3" piping all the way through too and that's more than enough for the average dd.

John
07 WRX
post #4 of 45 Old 11-23-2009, 05:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
i say go for it. Its a Perrin part so it should be good quality. Whats he asking for it?

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
post #5 of 45 Old 11-24-2009, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Thanks for the comments! Well he originally started around $400 but no one was biting so he kept lowering it. When I talked to him he was looking for $250, so I think that's what I'm gonna get it at. If he paid around $700 for it, which he said he did, then it seems to be a really good buy. He even has an extra flat gasket that he bought that he'll throw in, which is good because I'll be running it with my stock DP for a while!
post #6 of 45 Old 11-24-2009, 11:13 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
How the hell can that paint hold up? I don't think it will.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #7 of 45 Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, that was my first thought too. I thought maybe the paint job started looking bad because of (1) road debris, (2) extreme heat cycles of dealing with exhaust gasses from a turbocharged engine, and (3) maybe the paint he used simply didn't adhere very well to stainless steel. But then I remembered that I painted my muffler on my old Eclipse with black high temp paint intended for calipers and that held up pretty well for several years before I sold the car. Granted, the Eclipse muffler didn't see as high of temperatures being that the car wasn't turbocharged and the muffler wasn't finished with polished stainless steel... it's hard to say. Even if it doesn't look great, a decent quality cat back for $250 isn't a bad deal. The paint on the muffler could fairly easily be touched up once in a while.

John
07 WRX
post #8 of 45 Old 11-24-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
How the hell can that paint hold up? I don't think it will.
Yeah...he said before we meet up he was gonna give the muffler area a new coat to make it look nice...
post #9 of 45 Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Yeah, that was my first thought too. I thought maybe the paint job started looking bad because of (1) road debris, (2) extreme heat cycles of dealing with exhaust gasses from a turbocharged engine, and (3) maybe the paint he used simply didn't adhere very well to stainless steel. But then I remembered that I painted my muffler on my old Eclipse with black high temp paint intended for calipers and that held up pretty well for several years before I sold the car. Granted, the Eclipse muffler didn't see as high of temperatures being that the car wasn't turbocharged and the muffler wasn't finished with polished stainless steel... it's hard to say. Even if it doesn't look great, a decent quality cat back for $250 isn't a bad deal. The paint on the muffler could fairly easily be touched up once in a while.
Yeah, even if I have to paint it here and there for $10-$20 that would still be worth it I think...
post #10 of 45 Old 11-24-2009, 02:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
i painted my catback flat back and it held up nice...really took some police attention off too
post #11 of 45 Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you want the paint to stay and look nice for a decent period of time. Strip it, lightly sand it with a light grit sandpaper, and then use a quality high temp paint. And you pointed out a good thing, a name brand exhaust that is still functional for a great price.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #12 of 45 Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
thanks guys!!! I'm gonna meet up with him today! I'll let you know how it goes!
post #13 of 45 Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplnmdls View Post
He even has an extra flat gasket that he bought that he'll throw in, which is good because I'll be running it with my stock DP for a while!
The flat gasket won't help you for the DP connection, but your stock donut gasket should be ok. If you have to unbolt the exhaust to transport it (which you probably will) then you can use the flat gasket there. Nice find though, 250 for a 800ish dollar exhaust

-Chris
post #14 of 45 Old 11-26-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
O I need to use the donut gasket to hook it up to the stock DP? I'm assuming the stock DP's diameter is smaller than the Perrin, that doesn't matter?
Either way I went to look and bought the exhuast yesterday! It looks pretty nice! I'll get some pics tmrw and put them up. Hopefully I can get the exhaust on tmrw too, along with a tranny fluid change and my kartboy bushings!
post #15 of 45 Old 11-26-2009, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yep. I have my stock dp and a 3" exhaust and it fits just fine. If your donut falls apart then you'll just have to get one to match the dp size flange, but the beauty of the donut connection is that they're a bit more versatile regarding size differences.

-Chris