P&P Throttle Body + Ceramic Coating? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
P&P Throttle Body + Ceramic Coating?

I'm going to be getting my throttle body ported and polished by Grimmspeed. I was wondering if the extra $40 for the ceramic thermal coating is worth getting?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Anything you can do to cool the intake charge is worth it IMO, but 40 bucks is a bit much for such a small piece. My exhaust manifolds and crosspipe were 70 to get coated from GrimmSpeed and that's at least 3-4x more coating.

I believe the rule of thumb is 5 degree F is equal to 1% power. So, if you can save a degree or two you might get an extra bit of power out of it. Add in some ported/polised/deleted tgv's with phenolic spacers and you might cool off by 5-10 degrees. I guess you just have to weigh the $40 for maybe 1-2hp??

-Chris
#3 Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Thanks for the advice. I had no idea what phenolic spacers, were until you mentioned them. They look like an excellent idea. Do you know if tgv deletes will make my car fail emissions?

Mike
#4 Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Depends... If you throw a CEL, which generally happens with the deletes, then no you won't. The car will go into limp mode after a full TGV delete, so you'll need to clear the code. The only thing TGV's really do is help out cold start emmissions, so after you warm up they're just in the open position. In theory as long as your car is warmed up and the cel cleared, it should be ok.

Another option to avoid the cel is to just remove the flaps themselves, leaving the rod and tgv motor so the car still thinks they're working. You won't get as great of a gain as the rod will still impede airflow, but you'll still gain over stock.

-Chris
#5 Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
So if I had Grimmspeed do a full TGV delete, then I would throw a CEL? Which I would then need to clear, and I would be good to go?

Mike
#6 Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

From what I hear, yes.

-Chris
#7 Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Alright. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Mike