Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   Opinions....WRX + Mods or new STi? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/opinions-wrx-mods-new-sti-2275/)

Phantom 06-14-2003 08:48 PM

Opinions....WRX + Mods or new STi?

Well...at long last I see the new STi is finally available in the US.

Now for the truly tough decision.....and I need some advice / opinions here...

I'm stricktly looking at everyday street driving here...no track racing and pump gas only. I'd have to favor reliability over performance and keep the scary mods to a minimum.

Would it be cheaper to buy a lower priced WRX and mod it up to STi performance, or just buy the new US STi outright and be happy?

Are there some performance advantages to a WRX with mods over the stock US STi? Say maybe more torque at lower RPM's or something like that?

Or is the new STi simply untouchable? And it looks like the STi with a relatively low stock 14.5 psi boost would have a bit of room to grow later in life.

What do you guys think?

-Michael

fc735 06-15-2003 09:24 PM

To me....i'd get a stock WRX and mod it up...they tend to have more room for performance increases, unlike the STi. the STi is at 300 hp, and it takes a lot to up that. mainly, due to higher compression ratio, and less parts availability, but that is being handled by the aftermarket. TurboXS has some parts in the works, and it looks like its gonna be good. However, for the money, the WRX modded is better, but you get a warranty with the STi....again, its a catch-22. Toss-up between cost or warranty. And, you would be one of few with the STi. But....myself, i would mod a WRX, and go large, not as large as Kobyashi, but still "well tweaked"! That, and parts for the WRX are getting less now......
JOEY

BoostedBoxer 07-07-2003 03:11 AM

its gonna take a lot mroe money to get a wrx on par with an sti

front diff compared to wrx open front diff
strong 6spd compared to weak 5 spd
17x7.5 225/45 potenza re070's compared to 16x6.5 205 re92's
.5 litre more
nicer interior
bigger turbo stock
550+ injectors stock
DCCD
waterspray

putting all that on a wrx is gonna cost a lot more than 8k and you wont have a warranty

i love my wrx but ill be much happier when my sti rolls off the truck this week

Cosmo 07-07-2003 06:19 PM

It depends on what you want. The active diffs on the STi are nice, but 99% of the people out there will never see the difference. The interior is nicer, but the WRX interior isn't bad.

The main things the STi had that I wish the WRX had are the brakes and wheels/tires.

If you're just going for speed, get a WRX. They are easier and cheaper to mod. If you want to keep it stock, get an STi.

But, you can't go wrong with either one....

REXronald 07-08-2003 03:48 PM

check latest issue of Sport Compact Car

STi vs. 3 WRX tuners...

the 3 tuners ranged from as mild as they get mods to as expensive and rediculous as they come mods. the cheapest had ECU work, turbo back, suspension upgrades, big brakes, wheels/tires.

the most expensive had most mods you can purchase today for WRX. it cost about $55,000 to put together... and was slowest from 0-60mph while producing by far the most whp of all the cars, including the STi. because it had a dual plate clutch and huge boost numbers,,, the clutch didn't allow for a launch at high rpms... so it was slow until it was over 4000rpm... then generating huge huge whp above 4k rpm...

the middle of the road was equipped with Vishnu stage 4, R compound tires, big brakes, and suspension. It bested the STi in every category slightly and extremely similar whp numbers to the STi on the HKS dyno. the lowest model was the only one to still have stock turbo and while it did lose to the STi and Vishnu, it did fair quite well over all, considering a moderate cost to make the improvements that were made.

The SPI motorsports, $55,000 in upgrades, was said to be likely to have whooped all the cars if it had kept its stock clutch (allowing for high rpm launches)... dyno'd at over 330whp.

And the price to upgrade in the end to the Vishnu stage 4 with the brakes and suspension was actually $1500 less than base price STi... so yes you lose the warranty and the interior, but you gain a slight performance edge over the STi... Its a matter or preference... i'd probably take the STi for the sake of a having a real cool, rare car.

ScoobySnax 07-08-2003 04:55 PM

I read that article and dismissed it completely when they talked about the stock 5 speed being a very strong transmission. There and then i knew these guys didnt have a clue so i put the mag back on the shelf.

WrxFoLife 07-10-2003 02:00 PM

Well I would personally get a wrx. Only reason why I like the Sti is the looks and the engine bay. Everythign else is nice but thats the 2 reasons I like the most. You can hook up a Wrx and run faster than the Sti which is what i heard? Also its cheaper like everone already said. But having a Sti will be nice tho.

Holla Back

Mike

REXronald 07-12-2003 12:42 AM

hey scoobysnax

i think i may disagree with you regarding the stock clutch...

it is quite a performer in my opinion for a "stock" clutch...

The shear fact alone that you can increase a cars horsepower output by 100 and not upgrade the clutch says quite a bit about the clutch... And i know this for fact because i run Turbo XS Stage 3 with the stock clutch... At 40,000 miles i have no probs with clutch so far... And i used to launch it from 5,000 RPM quite frequently... (before the HP upgrade)... Now i take good car of the car, so i don't really launch it much anymore... primarily because when the stock clutch does go, it will cost $$ that i've already spent upgrading for power mods... But nonetheless... i've heard the trash talk about the stock clutch,,, yeah its a little wishy-washy here and there... but overall i feel its held up pretty well considering the abuse i've dished out...

DP1112 07-18-2003 01:54 AM

ok....now i've read somewhere....that the WRX (without forged pistons and internal mods) isn't built to handle upwards of 290 HP....but the STi comes with the better internals which makes it capable of handling the 300 HP and torque....is that true?...because if so...then the reliability with a modded WRX would be in question???????

DP1112 07-18-2003 02:02 AM

ok....now i've read somewhere....that the WRX (without forged pistons and internal mods) isn't built to handle upwards of 290 HP....but the STi comes with the better internals which makes it capable of handling the 300 HP and torque....is that true?...because if so...then the reliability with a modded WRX would be in question???????

Cosmo 07-18-2003 08:07 AM

I know of over 20 people with stock internals on a WRX that are running over 400 hp with no problems.

Just to settle this arguement, my friend Travis is bringing his STi to the track tonight. I'm going to run him just to see. I have about $2500 in mods to my car.

fc735 07-18-2003 10:56 PM

i want results! damnn....i wanna know if a wagon will beat the STi...hehehe

JOEY

Cosmo 07-18-2003 11:07 PM

Okay. My best run 9.17 seconds - UTEC needs tuning - only running 13.9 psi.

Travis's best - 9.2 seconds - still learning the art of the WRX launch though

DP1112 07-19-2003 02:40 AM

ok....well...see the problem (or at least i've heard) of running the 300+ or whatever HP is that over time (meaning if u want your subie to last longer than 2 years) the engine wont be able to handle such strain

fc735 07-20-2003 05:49 PM

its very hard to get ANY higher power engine to last the tests of time..unless you put some serious engineering into the engine construction. teh stock internals have been reliably holding up to around the 350-400 hp mark......not too many problems i have been seeing, at least lately.

JOEY