Nitto Z rated tires? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jautry27 is an unknown
Nitto Z rated tires?

Not sure of the EXACT model of Nitto's, but I know when I bought my car, it came with a practically brand new full set of Nitto Z rated tires. I did a little research and noticed that these tires go anywhere from $220 to $350 a tire, give or take. Anyone ever run these and got any opinions on them? I don't plan on taking them off, but I was just curious as to what kind of performance I had hitting the road, or lack there of (depending on what kind of mood I am in ( )

Jason - 2007 WRX TR - Warning: Objects In Mirror Are Losing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
If you want help, you need to post something useful. All we see is that the tires are made by Nitto. I have Kumho H-rated tires, Sumitomo Z-rated tires, Michelin Z-rated tires, Michelin O-rated tires and Bridgestone Q-rated tires.

I have too many tires in my garage.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jautry27 is an unknown
I just thought I might be able to get a general opinion on them. All I know right now is that they are Nitto Z rated. The car is in the shop right now, so I cant really look at them. I had the car for 2 days after I bought it, and the engine blew out. It has been in the shop since Sept. 5th of this year, b/c quite frankly, a $4200 bill to replace the engine is not exactly easy to come up with. I would love to use the Lemon Law, but the great state of Georgia is one of the only states where the Lemon Law does not apply to used cars.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
We have no idea what tire you're talking about unless you tell us specifically which.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Z is also a very vague speed rating. It has two different meanings. For years, Z was anything above V rating (V is 149mph). Z was just written as 149+. Then came W (168mph) and Y (186 mph) and the new Z rating was used for 186+ mph. The new Z rating, if the tire company is nice, will be written as ZR instead of Z. So if your tire says Z, they're either high speed race tires or more likely V rated tires marked to look fancy with a Z that doesn't mean anything.

Also, speed ratings are mostly meaningless dribble when it comes to tire performance. Higher speed tires have more sidewall stiffness so they don't explode hitting bumps at their rated speed. Your car is transmission and aerodynamically limited below V speed rating. The tires I use in the winter are only H rating. They "only" lets me go to 130mph. Tread and compound are much more relevant to handling performance than speed rating.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #6 of 6 Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jautry27 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Z is also a very vague speed rating. It has two different meanings. For years, Z was anything above V rating (V is 149mph). Z was just written as 149+. Then came W (168mph) and Y (186 mph) and the new Z rating was used for 186+ mph. The new Z rating, if the tire company is nice, will be written as ZR instead of Z. So if your tire says Z, they're either high speed race tires or more likely V rated tires marked to look fancy with a Z that doesn't mean anything.

Also, speed ratings are mostly meaningless dribble when it comes to tire performance. Higher speed tires have more sidewall stiffness so they don't explode hitting bumps at their rated speed. Your car is transmission and aerodynamically limited below V speed rating. The tires I use in the winter are only H rating. They "only" lets me go to 130mph. Tread and compound are much more relevant to handling performance than speed rating.

Good thing I did not pay for them then...I was just curious. Whenever I do replace them, I will probably just go with a good set of all season michelin
tires