Subaru WRX Forum banner

Next step?

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  clipsy 
#1 ·
Hey i got 06 wrx tbe cobb ap short ram air intake. so i was wondering what i should do i have enough to buy the turbo i want but then i was looking into aquamist what do you think is a better to get first, the turbo or the aquamist both cost the same?

#2 ·
You will need more than just a turbo if that is your next step. You need the supporting fuel mods (injectors and pump) bigger TMIC, some type of tune, maybe even a 3 port BCS. How much do you have to spend and what are you looking to get out of your car?

#4 ·
You say enough for a turbo, but as mentioned above, I suggest taking into consideration a host of other things:

Fuel Pump?
Injectors?
Intercooler?
other than stock boost control?
If it is a large turbo, how do you feel about the transmission?
Aftermarket exhaust to push all that new exhaust production out?
Engine managment?
How are you going read what your car is doing...A compliment of gauges?
Might want to be able to view realtime wideband air/fuel ratios, so a wideband gauge?
Can you do ALL of the installs yourself?
Tools to do it?

I am in no way trying to deter you from modifying your car, I encourage it, i just want you to be informed of what could lie ahead in your search for more power. I do not realy agree with a cobb sf intake being a first mod, as even that should probably be tuned for, but please just research and be a well informed consumer before you go haywire with ordering parts. :D

#5 ·
It's an 06, a meth injection kit will net some nice gains. He might be happy w/the gains from it alone.

I do agree with the above responses for afterwards though. Still need to tune for the Meth injection.

Did you say you HAD the TBE and intake already ? Those 2 w/the Meth injection with a tune will be nice.

#8 ·
What is on the car NOW and is it tuned yet (AP I take it) 1700.00 is a little steep.

I would go with an AEM meth kit. Been around forever. 400.00 + 200.00 install + 400.00 - 500.00 protune = 1000.00 - 1100.00, don't grab your ankles.

#9 ·
the place i am going to is a great shop its called ICS they do beautiful work the kit comes with a gauge thats why it is a little more money. you can find videos of this shop on you tube type in dynoflash and look at the users videos if you are close to this place i would recommend checking it out

#15 ·
Meth you have to keep filling up for. If you have the turbo and the mods/tune then its always there. Meth you have to worry about the failsafe and when the mix runs out and all that. I would rather save up and have power when I want/need the power. Not have the power and then it "run out" on me.

#17 ·
Personally, I would never run any kind of additive injection (meth,water, nitrous) without a stand alone ECU capable of drastically changing the tune if it detects you've run out of juice. These things break or run out when you're not expecting and without a fancy system to protect your motor, it's a time bomb. The Hydra does this type of thing but most of us don't want to deal with a non-ODBII friendly EM or the huge pricetag and tuning know-how requirements.

#18 ·
i agree^. i wouldn't run it either unless, i knew for my car would be safe in a situation like that. i would never buy an injection kit with no/crappy failsafes. i was in the same boat as the op quite a while ago. i was contemplating meth/water injection or a whole new turbo setup. i went with the turbo setup because i wanted more headroom in the future but i believe meth can be a great choice if installed/tuned right. the turbo route i went with however cost quite a bit more than the meth injection route would have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.