NEWB Question SPT intake and AP - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-19-2012, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

bigred419 is an unknown
NEWB Question SPT intake and AP

So I am sure this has been beaten to death and I appologize for opening another thread with a similar question that has been asked many times.... However, after a fair amount of research I am left with a couple of questions. I have an SPT intake on my car (it came with it so I don't have the stock air box) and my Accessport shows up tomorrow. I know there are mixed reviews on if it is a good idea to run an OTS map with the SPT, but my question is more which map to run. I will be flashing stage 1 for now and there is a stage 1 map and a stage 1+Cobb SF intake map. I have read these intakes are similar which makes me question if I should run the standard stage 1 or go with the stage 1+SF? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2012, 06:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The SPT intake requires custom tuning in order to use. If you have it on there now, you should probably look into buying the stock airbox until you can get that taken care of.
#3 Old 02-19-2012, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I went ahead and just switched from an SPT to a Cobb intake based on Cobb's new recommendations for their new 3.10 maps. When I ran the 3.00 map I did have about -4 to -6 A/F learning with the SPT intake. This is still within the acceptable limits and a tech from Cobb said my map looked fine but said it was the SPT intake that was causing this.

I then switched to the 3.10 map and the A/F went back to 0. So it seems that the new maps from Cobb work just fine with the SPT intake, or at least it did on my car. The new maps are much smoother, make more boost, and the boost comes on earlier. I used Virtual Dyno to plot the runs

I haven't logged a run yet with the new Cobb intake, but I will soon. I'm expecting to see the same power. I picked up the intake used for $80, so it was worth it just to try them back to back to see if the SPT intake really caused a problem.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#4 Old 02-19-2012, 07:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

bigred419 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post

I then switched to the 3.10 map and the A/F went back to 0. So it seems that the new maps from Cobb work just fine with the SPT intake, or at least it did on my car. The new maps are much smoother, make more boost, and the boost comes on earlier. I used Virtual Dyno to plot the runs.
When you switched to the 3.10 map did you go with the stock intake map or the Cobb SF intake?
#5 Old 02-19-2012, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred419 View Post
When you switched to the 3.10 map did you go with the stock intake map or the Cobb SF intake?
I left the SPT intake on it to see how the car responded to the 3.10 map. Everything in the logs looked fine after flashing the new map. The A/F learning went back to 0 and some of the fine knock learning was less too. So I could have kept the SPT intake on there and been OK.

I then switched to the Cobb intake, but haven't logged it yet. I just haven't had the time yet.

Since you don't have the stock air box to change back I would say go ahead and install Stage 1. Drive the car very softly for about a week to allow the tune to settle in. Watch the video below to learn how to log properly. Pull a few logs and look for any problems like they discuss in the video. If you see any knock or A/F learning that's out of whack then find yourself a stock air box or Cobb intake. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would sell you a stock air box for cheap.

Now, of course, do all this stuff at your own risk. If you don't feel comfortable doing this then don't. I don't mean to contradict brfatal. He knows what he's talking about, I'm just telling you my experience with my car. I ran the stage 2 tune with the SPT intake for almost two years because Cobb used to say this was OK. They changed their minds with the 3.10 tunes since they started those tunes from scratch.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#6 Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

bigred419 is an unknown
I will be loading stage 1 tonight and we will see how she does. Thanks for the help to both of you. I will post my data logs after I break her in. Hopefully all looks good and I can worry about buying a downpipe instead of trying to locate a stock air box.
#7 Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

bigred419 is an unknown
Just loaded stage 1!! We will see what happens.... Is there anywhere that I can find typical values for stage 1 for the AP monitors? I took a quick drive around the block and when looking at the monitors, my boost reads -10 at idle and stayed in the negative range during light driving. I tried to stay off the throttle, but got on it a very little and boost did at least go into the positive readings. Is this normal? The AP had a target boost of -2 (I think) at idle while I was reading -10.
#8 Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

bigred419 is an unknown
So with a little use of that bar that says google on it, it looks like this is a normal idle value. I was just not expecting it to be that far negative or to be that far from what the AP says is its target. I would still appreciate links to typical values so I can avoid scaring the &*@# out of my self. Will data log after a few days of less than spirited driving which is going to prove hard
#9 Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

You can set the target to what ever you want I believe, so it means nothing. When searching google use this syntax "site:wrxtuners.com whatever you're searching for". You should find it.

My boost gauge says -24inHg. So convert that to pounds/in and you should have your answer.

Congrats on the AP. give it a week and then have some fun. Oh, and here's a tip. Don't use the launch control unless you've got an extra 6k in the bank.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#10 Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chris-pee is an unknown
Here is a stage 1 datalog I did yesterday on my 2006 wrx tr. All the values seem good, may give you a reference.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...fX0RuN2c#gid=0
#11 Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Dude, where's your AFR on your datalog?
@Chris-pee

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chris-pee is an unknown
Crap, I was messing with the parameters yesterday and must have missed it. That wont do him a bit of good at all lol.