New exhaust? - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By boo-key bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
New exhaust?

What's up guys been thinking about going with a different catback something with more growl. Right now I have an eBay m2 catback it sounds good but I think it's time for a change . 06 Wrx helix catted downpipe Cobb stage 2 and Cobb intake. Anyone have suggestion?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Nameless performance

#3 Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is more helpful than not
i have a borla 14978, while it states it is "difficult" to mate with a 3" dp it sounds awesome. i am guessing tho that the xr-1 and hush, may be nice as well. and they are good to mount a dp to. here is a clip of the 14978 it def growls. http://asdfadsfdfs.shutterfly.com/pictures/8 just realized u had a 06, oops. the 14978 is only up to a 05 sorry. but i would stil recomend a borla.
#4 Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
I like my m2 catback, it's a little quiet though, I have heard cars with the sti axle-back and they sounded pretty good too. My buddy has a full 3" catless exhaust and be just cut the muffler off and welded on a 4 inch tip in place so it's essentially straight piped and it sounds really mean, I'm considering doing the same.
#5 Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
I ended up getting the m2 catback it was 180 and sounds great paired with my helix catted downpipe. Yes it's cheap but I coated it with high temp paint so it wouldn't rust at the hangers like there known to do. It lasted 1 winter sofar with no rust problems yet

#6 Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mcd View Post
I like my m2 catback, it's a little quiet though, I have heard cars with the sti axle-back and they sounded pretty good too. My buddy has a full 3" catless exhaust and be just cut the muffler off and welded on a 4 inch tip in place so it's essentially straight piped and it sounds really mean, I'm considering doing the same.
You could get a nameless axle back. They have one that doesn't have mufflers and it has already on it tips.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#7 Old 08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I think most sound similar just some louder than others. You can listen to samples on youtube for ideas or unabomber has a thread with a really cool data spreadsheet in which he tested sound db of lots of different catback/downpipe combos. Exhaust dB data - NASIOC Also consider the fit and finish that you like when deciding.
arewmors likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#8 Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Get a used name brand turboback. There are issues with the M2 (current M2, not the real M2 that went out of business in 2004 that they current one is trying to capitalize on) other than rust that you will run into. Many of the cheap eBay exhausts will have the muffler insulation blow out in 1-2 years rather than the decade it will take most name brand exhausts.