Subaru WRX Forum banner

New Engine

6K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  brfatal 
#1 ·
Ok, so many of you know I am currently working on replacing the engine in my '07 WRX. I have had several people suggest to me, on the NASIOC site, to go ahead and put the EJ257 in. They have all told me it matches up bolt for bolt, just different pistons. I have had 2 vendors make me an offer. One offered me a 2011 EJ257 for $1600+paypal fees. He would cover shipping. I had another claim he could get me a new EJ257 for $1250 plus shipping. My question to you guys is should I go with the 257, and do you think that is a good price? Also, will the 2007 TD04 fit on a 2011 engine, if I do decide to go with that one. I already have all the parts, minus the short block.

#2 ·
Keep in mind that the STI blocks are slightly lower compression.

A new EJ257 for $1,250? Nope. Invoice on them is ~$1,700-1,800. Anything less and the company is losing money selling it. This is why dealership replacement shortblocks generally run around $2,300. They have to make some profit.

I would stick with an EJ255.

#3 ·
I also have a guy that is offering me a 2011 EJ257 for 1600 shipped. He works for Mazworx and said he can put the CP forged pistons in it and have it shipped for right at $2,000. He said they purchased to for the purpose of scanning for new billet blocks. Said it has never been used, but only has been sitting in the crate since they bought it. I think that might be a good deal.

#7 ·
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Yes, I am only replacing the short block. I am re-using the heads off of my WRX. I am pulling the trigger on buying that EJ257 short block today. He is also putting the forged pistons in and it is all around $2000. It is coming from Mazworx in Florida. I, for one, think it is a great deal.

#10 ·
I've read some good stuff about it, but what do you guys think about replacing the stock oil pickup with a Covert oil pickup? Also looking at replacing the oil pump with with an upgraded 11mm. Also, plan on using my WRX injectors b/c I read they are slightly bigger than the ones on the STI. Opinions?

#12 ·
i've read some good stuff about it, but what do you guys think about replacing the stock oil pickup with a covert oil pickup? not a bad idea while the engine is out, cheap insurance.

also looking at replacing the oil pump with with an upgraded 11mm. no real reason to, you're not adding any additional oil needs so you don't need more pump. Too much pump for not enough demand and it just starts to bypass, heating up and aerating oil unnecessarily.

also, plan on using my wrx injectors b/c i read they are slightly bigger than the ones on the sti. Opinions? 06+ wrx and 07+ sti injectors are identical.

#11 ·
Also, the guy that offered the $1250 block said he worked for SOA directly. I was still very sketchy and decided to go with the one from mazworx in Florida for $1600 and no forged pistons.

#13 ·
Ok, so here is the final I went with on everything with the engine replacement. Got a 2011 EJ257 engine that is new in the crate. Got it from Mazworx USA. The only thing they used it for was scanning for building billet blocks. Never physically used in a car.

Covert Oil Pickup: Also got it from Mazworx USA.

Subaru OEM 11mm Oil Pump: Also from Mazworx USA.

Got all of this from the same people for just under $1900 shipped. I'd say that is one of the best $1900 I've spend in a while. Opinions?

#16 ·
I would ask a tuner if you need to get retuned. You are changing your compression as the EJ257 pistons are different, but it's only as small amount (the bigger compression difference between the 255 and the 257 is mostly caused by the heads). I would still double check though.

#17 ·
I have been talking to a guy at Mazworx USA in Florida who deals with high performance Japanese engines, and this is actually what he recommended. He drives a Forester with almost the same set I will have. EJ257, TD04, 11mm OEM Oil Pump...He is the same person I got the engine from as well. He never said anything about have to have it retuned, but I'll ask him next time I speak with him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.