New 07 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-10-2007, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wilks132 is an unknown
New 07 WRX

Hello, Newbie here. I just bought a 2007 WRX limited (not the STi limited). I love the car. I used to have a 99 GMC Sierra gas hog. I want to put an exhaust and intake on the car. The dealer tried to sell me on the SPT intake and exhaust package with the heatshield. However, are these any good? Like I said, im new to Subarus and dont know much about them. I want that deep throaty sound but dont want cheap parts. The reason im considering the SPT products is becuase it dosent void any warranty. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. PS any comments or suggestions on blow off valves/redirect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-10-2007, 11:42 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
no cat-back should effect the warrante. The SPT cat-back is made by bosal. You can find the exact same thing without the SPT logo for a few hundred less.

The SPT intake is nice though but won't really deliver any performance gains by itself.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 15 Old 06-12-2007, 12:24 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
no cat-back should effect the warrante. The SPT cat-back is made by bosal. You can find the exact same thing without the SPT logo for a few hundred less.

The SPT intake is nice though but won't really deliver any performance gains by itself.
+1 to that. But please DONT get a BOV theres no need for one at all unless you are upgrading your turbo also. Annoying sound and no performance equals wasted money.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

Big B is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
+1 to that. But please DONT get a BOV theres no need for one at all unless you are upgrading your turbo also. Annoying sound and no performance equals wasted money.
I actually like the BOV sound
post #5 of 15 Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wilks132 is an unknown
I like the sound of the BOV. But, Im not sure exactly what they do. I was looking a the Perrin BOV Recirc SS. It says it redirects the volume of air? and is adjustable. I know my car has a stock BOV, But what if any are the advantages of recirculating the air? Is it just the sound??
post #6 of 15 Old 06-12-2007, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilks132 View Post
I like the sound of the BOV. But, Im not sure exactly what they do. I was looking a the Perrin BOV Recirc SS. It says it redirects the volume of air? and is adjustable. I know my car has a stock BOV, But what if any are the advantages of recirculating the air? Is it just the sound??
search for BOV on this site to find a ton of information. To summarize:

-BOVs don't give any performance gains and can damage your car if improperly installed (which is also easy to do)
-The stock BOV is good for more PSI than your stock turbo so you don't need to replace it
-the stock BOV is a 100% recirculating BOV (as required by law) so the air it expels goes into the intake. An "atmospheric" BOV doesn't do this

If you want to hear the BOV, any mod that removes the intake silencer will suffice. If you want your BOV to sound like a gun going off, a) you're a ricer b) buy a TXS RFL (really f-ing loud) BOV.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-28-2007, 06:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

moriswrx is an unknown
don't waste money on a bov that will most likely make your car run like crap. if you want the sound try a cobb intake. if you want a smart upgrade go w/ em. Cobb APV2 imo
post #8 of 15 Old 06-29-2007, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Big B is an unknown
i installed the SPT intake and it changes the sound of your engine so you can hear the turbo spool better, plus it doesnt affect the warranty so i would def reccomend the SPT inake. As for the BOV my dealership actually has a performance shop where they can do aftermarket exhausts, BOVs, ect. So just ask around and see if any dealerships near you do this stuff . Im thinking about getting a perrin BOV at my dealer for 250 installed so the prices arent too bad plus it stays in warranty
post #9 of 15 Old 06-29-2007, 02:23 PM

ScoobyTuner is more helpful than not
Send a message via MSN to ScoobyTuner
Like these guys have said, ANY catback out there will NOT void the warranty. It's when you replace the downpipe that you will most likely void the warranty. The SPT intake is a nice intake. If you want to get an intake, I would suggest either the Cobb, SPT, or K&N. All those work very well and don't mess with the MAF sensor.

Wait on the BOV and get an AccessPORT and a downpipe. You won't regret it!
post #10 of 15 Old 06-29-2007, 02:39 PM

Garage
I need to point out that the word "void" is misused here. Obviously if your air conditioning goes, SOA is not going to refuse to fix it because you changed your downpipe. The mod or abuse must result in the part failure for them to refuse service. You'd have to work pretty hard for them to actually void the whole car...

post #11 of 15 Old 06-29-2007, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

ArmyWRX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ArmyWRX Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyWRX
mosc i think i have read that same thing on here from you before.... but when your right your right.... a down pipe will void the worrenty if you take your car in from a broken pisten do to running lean or boost crep.... if you dont have some kind of em that can happen.... just anther exsample for the other side.... dont run a bov man do a search and see how many people have bought them and sold em 2 weeks later....
post #12 of 15 Old 06-29-2007, 06:58 PM

Garage
that's not voiding the warrantee, that's denying service due to abuse/modification. They are different things!

post #13 of 15 Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

ArmyWRX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ArmyWRX Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyWRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
that's not voiding the warrantee, that's denying service due to abuse/modification. They are different things!
ok heres a question for you then.... what the hell is the difference.... i have a worrenty and they so no were not going to do the work on the car cas you have done mods to your car.... if they wont do the work cas of something you have done to the car in my opinion there is no difference mosc ..... now you tell me the difference....
post #14 of 15 Old 06-29-2007, 11:14 PM

Garage
it's blatantly obvious. Only parts you've modified are affected. Also, they really should prove your mods caused the problem to begin with. Finally, even then it's not VOID, it's a denial of that particular repair. If they refuse to fix your tranny because you abused it or put in some other clutch, your warranty is not void. When you bring it in later for blowing a cylander, they still have to prove some reason why they are not at fault for that too!

VOID implies the entire warranty, it also implies finality. Refusal of service is totally different and much more isolated.

post #15 of 15 Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

cobra121990 is an unknown
why would anyone go to a dealer to install a BOV. get an HKS SSQ and put it on yourself. it ook me about 10 min.