Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   Nervous about installing TBE, missing anything? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/nervous-about-installing-tbe-missing-anything-21436/)

Blue07Rex 12-11-2007 04:41 AM

Nervous about installing TBE, missing anything?

This is the first time installing an exhaust for me, so sorry for the noobieness.

I've been trying to find information on how to do this, and I think I have a general idea, but still have a few questions.

Will I need to remove the intercooler and/or turbo heat shield? Also, will I have to cut the existing heat shield or order a new one? A couple posts around the web said that they couldn't fit the heatshield over the new downpipe.

Gaskets....the TBE didn't come with any. Would I be able to use the OEM ones (don't see how since the piping size is different), or do I need to get some? If so, where?

As far as parts go, I'm pretty sure I have all the wrenches/sockets I need (except for some oxygen sensor part, which I guess I'll rent from Autozone), and I'll have my laptop/tatrix ready to go with the XPT extreme stage2 map.

I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing, because I don't want to hurt my car, haha. It's going to be cold doing the install too....oh well, hopefully it'll stay in the 30s until I get done :cool:

Hope I didn't miss anything.

Longshot 12-11-2007 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=Blue07Rex;179948]This is the first time installing an exhaust for me, so sorry for the noobieness.

I've been trying to find information on how to do this, and I think I have a general idea, but still have a few questions.

Will I need to remove the intercooler and/or turbo heat shield? Also, will I have to cut the existing heat shield or order a new one? A couple posts around the web said that they couldn't fit the heatshield over the new downpipe.

Gaskets....the TBE didn't come with any. Would I be able to use the OEM ones (don't see how since the piping size is different), or do I need to get some? If so, where?

As far as parts go, I'm pretty sure I have all the wrenches/sockets I need (except for some oxygen sensor part, which I guess I'll rent from Autozone), and I'll have my laptop/tatrix ready to go with the XPT extreme stage2 map.

I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing, because I don't want to hurt my car, haha. It's going to be cold doing the install too....oh well, hopefully it'll stay in the 30s until I get done :cool:

Hope I didn't miss anything.[/QUOTE]

-Yes removing the Intercooler and heatshield is almost a must.
-You'll need to trim or buy a new heatshield to fit an aftermarket DP
-You should use all OEM gaskets (get new ones, 2 for UP, 2 for DP)
-Yeah just rent an O2 socket from autozone

I'll be doing my downpipe in the near future so I'm in the same boat as you (I've only done my CBE so far) but b4 that I need to get an UP installed because that I'm not doing by myself. Good Luck with your install.

RentForSale 12-11-2007 09:58 AM

Down pipe back is pretty simple . You ' ll know what to do . Up on the other hand is a pain . Took me forever to do mine . Mostly due to 10000000 heat shields .

wiked06rex 12-11-2007 02:33 PM

Dont be nervous !!! Be excited !!!

you r going to need to.

pull the intercooler
pull the heat shield
unbolt exhaust from turbo
remove o2 sensor, from old pipe(rent 1 from autozone)
replace o2 sensor in new pipe
install new gaskets and new pipes, trim or throw away turbo heat shield, replace intercooler !!!

Now you have a clean exhaust, new power, and sound !!!!

Blue07Rex 12-11-2007 02:47 PM

Where can I get a gasket set, and would the SPT turbo heat shield fit over the downpipe? (BPM bellmouth if that matters)

Thanks

wiked06rex 12-11-2007 03:20 PM

[QUOTE=Blue07Rex;179997]Where can I get a gasket set, and would the SPT turbo heat shield fit over the downpipe? (BPM bellmouth if that matters)

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Down Pipe Gasket : Subaru Parts Dept
Mid Pipe Gasket : Local parts Store/Subaru Parts Dept (maybe)
you didnt get gaskets in the kit??

you may need to trim the heat shield, I really dont know..

nagyhead 12-11-2007 03:39 PM

are they the 2 bolt 3" gaskets?, because for some reason they are hard to find

The spt heat shield will work , I belive it mounts to the intercooler bracket.

wiked06rex 12-11-2007 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=nagyhead;180008]are they the 2 bolt 3" gaskets?, because for some reason they are hard to find

The spt heat shield will work , I belive it mounts to the intercooler bracket.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it does mount to the intercooler bracket..

Vew 12-12-2007 01:31 AM

You can use an OEM turbo to downpipe gasket and that may be it depending on your TBE. You'll need 3" gaskets (assuming your new exhaust is 3"). Try here for those. [url]http://www.fastwrx.com/exhaustgaskets.html[/url]

The SPT heat shield is said to fit over most after market downpipes, but that'd be the last of my worries as heat soak should be minimal once the car is moving.

The only problems I can foresee you running into is troublesome bolts which you may have to replace if you accidentally strip/snap one (rare for TBE, more common for uppipe install), rubbing on the bumper (few cases) where you'd have to get longer hangers, or just poor quality and having fitment issues. That'd be your ebay type exhausts and having an extra hand and/or lift will help greatly.