Subaru WRX Forum banner

Need stock STi intercooler brackets

21K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  natedog550 
#1 ·
I've got a 2004 STi and the previous owner installed a TurboXS front mount (selling soon BTW) but kept the stock turbo ugh - I was ignorant about these cars at the time back in August.

So I've bought a Godspeed TMIC off of ebay on Friday because the STi intercooler I was bidding on got up too high and I read some good things about them on this forum.

Now take into consideration I don't have ANY of the stock parts that are required for mounting the stock TMIC.

So the first thing I'm pretty sure from what I've read I need are the mounting brackets. But I cannot find these anywhere! I'm guessing because most people aren't in the same boat as me and just need the brackets.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get some brackets from?

Then I know i need the y-pipe. I like an APS single piece y-pipe kit that I found but it's way expensive. I'll also need the small silicone piece that connects to the manifold - I'll probably get a samco one or something similar.

I'm not sure if I want to get the e-bay y-pipe kit or not - the single y-pipe seems like a better option - but again seems a little too high for what it is - but if it's better than the e-bay i'll fork over the cash.

I'd appreciate your help and input - especially if there's anything else I'll need.

Thanks for your time.

See less See more
#2 ·
the dealer will have them, and thats about the only place you can get them . there are 2 of them. and they are the same for the STI and the wrx. the passenger side one has a mounting hole for either intercooler.

#4 ·
I was hoping I could get it from somewhere faster. That's cool though I'll shoot my Subaru dealer an e-mail and hopefully I can get them by the end of the week.

Typically the much larger TMIC's need an extented Y-pipe. I'm not sure about extending the cast one. I went for the samco hoses and I am happy with them. The Short hose going into the throttle body makes intercooler installation much easier.
Ah good point didn't think about that. But again I don't have those 2 short ducts that mount into the intercooler. I guess I'll have to get those from the dealer as well and then get the silicone hoses? Because if you look at the kits on ebay they don't have the two shorter ducts - one of them is but the other is a half-y type shape.

I've read about this site on the nasioc forums:
Silicone Hose Kits for Subaru. StylinMotors Inc. - they have a STi TMIC hose kit. Seems comparable to the samco.

And one last thing.

The previous owner removed the bypass that comes with the TurboXS FMIC kit and I guess sold it then installed a Greddy Type-S BOV. It finally went out on me and starting leaking bad and I couldn't adjust it anymore - so I bought the TurboXS bypass that comes with the kit. I can finally hold boost now - problem is this model doesn't work with the TMIC. I need the one that has the flange on it. So hopefully Summit Racing with allow me to trade for the one with the flange since I haven't had it for more than 30 days - we'll see how that goes.

But I think there's a gasket for the TMIC bypass right? Because I don't have that either - may be another dealer thing.

Thanks again for the help.

#15 ·
hah man i'm such a retard...

i didn't read the product description on the stylin motors website close enough.

It only came with the silicone elbow and the silicone coupler and clamps lol.

What I'm starting to notice is these silicone y-pipes never say STi - they only say WRX. When i search different vendor websites I go to the 04+ STi section and never pull up a y-pipe.

I find stuff like so:
RallySportDirect.com - Samco STI Intercooler Hose Kit

That picture shows 2 silicone coupler looking pieces, an elbow, and a long pipe (what the heck is the long pipe for?)

Here's how I thought everything connected.

Intercooler ducts -> Y-pipe -> elbow

Intercooler -> coupler -> throttle body

Man now i'm confused because of what i see on rally sport's site. Is it un-heard of for STi's to get a silicone y-pipe? Or will the WRX one work?

any help or advise would help.

Thanks.

#13 ·
It was pretty cool - I just did a search for the part numbers I got from the local subaru parts department and I was able to pull up all of them up and add to the cart - I just wish they had pics for each part.

Then I was able to pull up the same diagram I saw when I was at the parts department and at the very bottom it had all the part numbers shown in the diagram so i could verify.

But i did need the part numbers i had written down because the latest diagram they had was a 2002 and there was one duct that wasn't the part number i needed.

So anyways if you get the part numbers just plug them in and it's a breeze.

Thanks.

#17 ·
Well...

The part numbers I was given from the local dealership were wrong - I even gave them my freaking vin# - but looks like he still got me the intercooler ducts for the WRX.

But nonetheless it seems to mount ok on the Godspeed I got of ebay.

Because the elbow from stylinmotors.com is so long and can be trimmed I'm thinking I may get this to work - I wish I had a single y-pipe but having to send these parts back then maybe pay a re-stocking fee just seems like too much of a pain.

I've ordered a silicone coupler + t-bolts from stylinmotors to connect the gap.

Here's some pics...

1. Gaskets - didn't line up perfect - should I shave the gasket a little to match hole?:

2. Ducts - looks good to me - need silicone coupler + clamps:

3. Top side with coupler to throttle body:

I've read I need to watch out for the AC lines behind the IC - I've read maybe wrap it in something like a radiator hose.

I have all the stock parts needed in - brackets, bolts, gaskets, etc etc - I'm hoping all goes well tomorrow when I try to install this thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.