Need help to determin the path of my STi - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
The Dom 2.0 is very similar to the FP Green HTA in flow and spool characteristics, if your looking for decent spool and a good punch I would go with either the FP 68HTA or one of the variety of 20G's out there and get a EWG and decent headers...there are a few cars out there pushing upper 3XX awhp nearing 400 on E85...plus both spool very close to stock and can really pack a decent top end punch...and did I mention they're both cheaper than the Green or Dom series

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It relates to the housing. The smaller housing will provide quicker spool over the 10cm^2, but the larger housing will have a better peak hp number....sacraficing some torque and low end.

Idk what whp numbers your looking for or exact spool. But, my turbo spools quick being a ball bearing turbo and should get you around 350-375 whp numbers. The Dom 2.0 will get better whp than mine but will spool a bit slower being a journal bearing turbo.

EDIT: In regards to matt...yes, Blouch makes a TDO5H-20G, TDO6H-20G and 20G-XT. Each offer different levels of HP and spool. Most of the 20Gs you'd be safe to run on a stock engine, have quick spool, and good power. A aggressive tune on a 20G and you might be sniffing near broken piston levels.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#33 Old 10-05-2010, 11:25 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Like Matt and Kirt said, look into a 20G (or the HTA in Matts case lol), great capable turbos. The new 20G-XT is supposed to spool faster than the older 20Gs and provide a little more on the top end. My turbo doesnt spool slow at all and provides decent top end (thats hardly ever used). With a good setup (all the bolt ons, good tune) you can cross the 350WHP mark with it (I made 330 AWHP on 92OCT @ 20PSI, and stopped there cause of the tranny and didnt have anything other than the bare minimum supporting mods).

It seems like you really dont know what you want, or maybe even looking at truely as you keep jumping back and forth. And you also said you dont even have the money so stop jumping around and saying this or that is what you want, sit back, do the research of any and all you may be considering (write them out if you have to to make comparing easier) take your time. Continue saving money and eventually you will have everything laid out and ready.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#34 Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
I've seen 20G's with full supporting mods (FMIC, GOOD headers, EWG, etc.) on E85 pushing in the 390 range...and they hit full boost <4000RPM so it sounds like that would really be a great fit for you...and the 20G-XT can only get better

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#35 Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
thanks guys i really appreciate your input. ill just sit back, do some more research and see exactly what it is i want out of my car.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
#36 Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

so i emailed a couple of turbo companies my future mods and asked them what turbo would be suitable for my power goals. turbochargers.com here in houston suggest i get this turbo Subaru TD06H-GT35 8cm WRX STI Upgrade Turbo - Turbochargers.com to be quite honest idk if that sounds like a good idea because if its a 500awhp capable turbo and i only want ~400whp wont i be out of the effiencty range for a turbo that size?

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#37 Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

turbochargers.com is terrible...they sell Chinese knock-offs of reputable turbos

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#38 Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

hahahah im glad im not the only one thinking that. i looked at there site and was thinking to myself, "these turbos look really cheap" i was glossing over a turbo thread on another subaru site and they had said that ebay and turbochargers.com sell cheap chines knock offs and that they will fail in a matter of no time.

thanks basco for the reassurance lol.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#39 Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
So...are you trying to avoid an engine build? I was just mulling this over as well, and wound up selling my FP green to fund an E85 conversion. I spoke to my tuner and he was very confident with this setup on a stock VF39 to make a good 330 at the wheels. This would mean you didn't need a block build, E85 runs at a much cooler temp and means less wear, besides the fact that 330 @ the wheels is a good safe block range. MY wife and I are considering selling the Subie right now, if we don't I'll be back at this project and that's exactly what I'll do.

Just food for thought, I love the spool time of my 39, And if I could add 40 or 50 whp to my stage2 package for the price of injectors, tuning, and a few other little stuff, I think that would be very satisfying.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#40 Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

i mean im not in a hurry to buy a turbo right now at this moment. im currently working on buying a 255 fuel pump, 850cc injectors, tgv delete, port and polish my stock intake and throttle body, and wrapped maddad headers and get a dyno tune. thats what im focusing on right now. im just thinking ahead after i get all this and trying to get a feel for what turbo would be sweet. right now e85 isnt very accessible for me cause the only station that sells it is somewhere downtown until my friend starts producing e85 on a large scale. (hes devleoping an e85 plant and allready has the land and deeds to build it) so until then ima have to stick with shell 93oct. as to why i was inquiring about meth.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#41 Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

CHASE!!!! NOOOOO!!!!...why would you sell your car?

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#42 Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Lol, um, believe me Matt, I'm a true Subie believer, I won't be without one. We need to free up some money going toward the STi and Covette payments. Not sure yet, we'll see. But I will say that even with an STi parked in the garage, I miss my blaze yellow WRX horribly. So I may use this as an opportunity, because I already found one that makes me drool looking at it like my STi never could. Ironic, huh?

Am I right or what?

And Keshuv, The closest station to me is about 17 miles away, but that's the beauty of an accessport. Get 2 maps with your tune, a performance 93 octane, and an E85 beast. Fill up once in a while with E85, grab a few cans to put in the garage when you do for your next night out with your friends. When you roll into a non-85 station, flip the map. IT sounded intimidating to me at first, but I found a site that locates all the closest 85 stations near your zip. It seemed easier than I cooked up in my head, especially with an AP.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#43 Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

^ She is purty...but I don't know if I could go from having an STi back to a WRX lol

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#44 Old 10-07-2010, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

ill think about it brandon. right now i just have a ton of crap on my plate. cause not only am i saving up for headers, injectors, meth, fuel pump, and retune. but also my front rotors and pads are TKO and my brake peddle feels like pudding. so right now a turbo and all that fun stuff is kinda outa the question.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#45 Old 10-08-2010, 06:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Oh the fun of having a mod addiction....

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3