Need help to determin the path of my STi - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-04-2010, 08:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
they probably do, but the only way to be safe with meth is to have a standalone that works with the meth kit to protect against failure

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, your going to need as much fail safes as possible or reasonable. I'd listen to matt. Stand alone ECU or don't bother touching meth.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#18 Old 10-04-2010, 11:51 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Totally agree. The system needs to be able to cut timing immediately if there is a problem to properly protect your engine. AEM is one of the few that can do that, but you have to use their standalone. It's a good product for other reasons too, just expensive. Just don't half ass it.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#19 Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
well there is a built in fail safe, so that if it runs out it will shut down or at a certain boost level it will cut off and go to a lower boost setting. this is the only system i feel comfortable with using not only because its inexpensive but of the quality of the product. ill be sure to double check with aem and email them about running there meth kit with there stand alone ecu. but other than that i still need to find a 400whp turbo that spools fast yet can still blast power from way down low to redline.

Keshav (kay-shuv)
stage II pro-tuned 04 STi
294whp/343wtq VF39 @19psi
#20 Old 10-05-2010, 06:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
The boost cut is an option but I still wouldn't trust it, meth doesn't really let you run more boost it's the timing that makes the power. As for your turbo desires that doesn't really exist in the subaru world...anything that makes 400awhp won't spool until about 3700-4200 RPM

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#21 Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

and if you really don't want to go standalone and use meth I would definitely go with the Snow Performance kit just because you can upgrade to this Snow Performance: SafeInjection? when combining with this http://www.jandssafeguard.com/safeguard.html

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#22 Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
The boost cut is an option but I still wouldn't trust it, meth doesn't really let you run more boost it's the timing that makes the power.
Not entirely true. It cools the charge down considerably... My IAT's were down 70-80* in the summer at full boost... I was able to run 4-5lbs more without pulling timing. And the AEM kit I have does have a 2 way controller so you can make it progressive or non.

The safety on it worked very well. When the alarm went off.... I just didn't mash it for the rest of the day (or home if I was heading there)

A one gallon 50/50 mix can last as long as you want it to (within reason)

I had a gallon lasting 2 weeks at a time.... and that's actually USING it.

They are made alot safer than previous years...

Then again... I don't do the tuning myself... just the install and running

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#23 Old 10-05-2010, 09:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

I mean yes you can run more boost, but the amount you'll be running is typically out side of the turbos efficiency range so really your just making more heat and yes it'll screw things up but the real danger lies in the extra 4-5* of timing meth allows you to run

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#24 Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah... thanks for the corrected wording Matt.

Another thing to add.... You can have seperate maps for daily and "spirited" driving.... So all in all as long as you are a type of person that is always on top of things.... It's fun and safe.

COBB in Plano didn't want to hook up the meth on my MS3.... "safety" is what they quoted me.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#25 Old 10-05-2010, 07:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

so ive decided to go with the FP green turbo. relatively inexpensive and will provide me with more than enough power once i get an ewg and possibly meth on with the tune. now i just gota start saving...

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#26 Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

just be warned...the Green spools kind of sluggishly...~4000 RPM

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#27 Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

i was under the impression that the FP Red was the turbo that spooled slow

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#28 Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

wait nvm im getting the blouch dom 2.0 haha. thats what i want. final answer...

Keshav (kay-shuv)
#29 Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
You realize that your engine will definatly need piston work if nothing else. Plus, the Dom 2.0 will spool slower than my turbo. Which mine spools later than the VF39. But, it its the crank hp numbers your looking for.

I hope to see improved numbers in a short bit when I go back. Plus, the spool might be faster once its cooler out. The heat and humidty really screwed me last time. With a few changes in my set-up and cooler air....I should be putting down what the Dom 2.5 XTR is capable of. If my tuner ever gets around to making the Dom 3.0 twin scroll...I might be tempted to cross over to the dark side. lol.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#30 Old 10-05-2010, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

well its just the regular dom 2.0 but i have the option of having a 8cm^2 turbing housing or a 10cm^2 turbine housing. which should change the responsiveness of the turbo right? cause to be honest i have no freakn idea by what they mean when they provide those numbers and what it relates to lol.

yea i am looking for nice crank numbers but also i dont want to have to wait for my turbo to spool up. just want more low to mid range power but a bit more air up top than the stock turbo. not asking for some super snail that will get me from 0-100 in 2 seconds. just enough to get my head jerkn in the back of my seat.

Keshav (kay-shuv)