Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   Need help to determin the path of my STi (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/need-help-determin-path-my-sti-29609/)

srninjastar 10-03-2010 10:45 PM

Need help to determin the path of my STi

So i recently bought my competition stage 4 six puck clutch. then after i have that installed im buying the walbro fuel pump and PE 850cc injectors then doing the TGV delete. Now here is where im at a cross roads. I recently decided that i do not wana go gt3076r for the fact that i dont want my engine to go boom and also its gona be a daily driven car. So ive decided to go 2 routs:

Either buy a block off plate for the interwastegate on my VF39, get meth, buy gtspec headers with a 38mm wastegate and dump tube and have that retuned

or

save up and buy an FP green, AMR CXR500, or AMR T60R turbo, and get gtspec haders with a 44mm wastegate and dump tube with meth and have that retuned.

which would you guys would seem practical for a daily drive car but have enough power to have fun on weekdends?

any suggestions about the setup would be helpful.

newtothegame 10-03-2010 11:41 PM

Fun is in the eye of the person driving. I have plenty of fun with my 20G, and there is still room to grow with it. Its all in how you are going to use the car also, I know you say DD, so anything above stock is an improvement.

brfatal 10-04-2010 02:20 AM

GT Spec headers are junk. They are notorious for failing.

Option one is more likely to be reliable than option 2. Option 2 will pretty much max you out on what you're going to want to run on a stock motor.

basco 10-04-2010 06:42 AM

I would go with the GT3076R, especially since the FP Green is just a 3076 compressor wheel fit into a TD06 housing, so long as your responsible and you keep the power on the conservative side you'll be fine, one of my buddies is running a 35R on a completely bone stock STi has has been for 35K miles with no downtime.

RcrsWetDream 10-04-2010 08:58 AM

Or just do option one and scratch the meth, and tune for E85. Meth is just too volatile for me, one hiccup and you can grenade your engine.

My tuner is doing pretty much all that on his 06 STi and it's a fun car... 330whp/380wtq at 4200'. I'd imagine down in Texas it'd be closer to 340/400. He is pushing 27psi though, I'd feel a lot safer around 20-22.

You'd want an upgraded intercooler to max out that turbo though, intake you could do. He's also running the Grimmspeed PnP exhaust manifolds and high flow cross pipe instead of headers.

mosc 10-04-2010 09:48 AM

well, first I would accept that making the kind of power your talking about will probably blow something. The STi bottom end is the same as the wrx and doesn't handle huge numbers. It's not overly expensive to throw in some better pistons and sleaves though, so that shouldn't scare you too much. Just don't flip when compression starts to drop and you have to spend some money to get her running again.

That said, you kind of have to decide on TMIC vs FMIC. If you go TMIC, you are limited to stock layout and somewhat limited on turbo size. Personally, I would stick with this route as the FMIC+rotated kit is well down the path of lag, especially on 93 octane. If you go the TMIC route, the biggest turbo I know of is the blouche dom 2.5 which is basically a GT3076R with a Subaru layout. It's also a great turbo for that size motor.

basco 10-04-2010 10:07 AM

^HTA Green is bigger than a 2.5...but the Dom 4 is the biggest at 60lb/min although it produces way more power than any TMIC can handle

turmic 10-04-2010 01:13 PM

I think mosc was stating that the Dom 2.5 is the biggest you'd want to go on a TMIC. A dom 2, 3, 4 are way bigger. But, they'll start to get limited on the TMIC. I'm still thinking of going FMIC....we'll see how the winter tune goes. Because I am running the Dom 2.5XTR Turbo.

330-350 whp and wheel torque (depending on which dyno you are using) is where the bottom end comes into question. It could last or it could go boom in a couple thousand miles. It'll be the luck of the draw if the piston rings and pistons hold up or not.

srninjastar 10-04-2010 03:08 PM

i was under the impression that meth is a good thing especially for turboed cars because it drastically decreases intake temps as well as provides the extra octane to off set any knock. Well as of right now im just gona buy the fuel pump, the 850cc injectors, meth and tgv delete and get a proper dyno tune. from there im still kinda iffy cause a turbo with great low end that pulls all the way to redline that spools fast. a turbo that will get me to 400whp isnt coming to mind. 400whp is all i want cause after that ill be done with power and then i can focus on making my car look good cause i sure do need a new paint job. took off the spoiler to clean all the crap that gets stuck under there...rust and paint chips like crazy. plus i recently debadged my car and the SUBARU is still visible, even after using goo gone, claybar and cutting wax with an orbital buffer.

Mosc: APT makes stock location GT turbos. i was going to get this until i changed my mind [url]http://www.aptuning.net/GT3076R_Subaru_WRX_STI_Bolt_on_Stock_Location_Kit_p/atp-sub-006.htm[/url]

basco 10-04-2010 03:36 PM

meth is good so long as you have a fail safe...order either the AEM or Snow performance kit

RcrsWetDream 10-04-2010 04:13 PM

I'd just rather use a manufactured fuel than something I'd have to mix myself (assuming not 100% meth). But to clarify my earlier post, it's not the meth itself that can cause issues, it's the delivery system. Running low, clogged nozzle, sloshing in the tank can all cause the meth to stop feeding and case the engine to run lean long enough to blow.

E85 uses the regular fuel system. There can be some inconsistency in the fuel, but the delivery system is all but guaranteed not to fail, and a bad batch of E85 is hard to come by (just as easy as a bad batch of premium unleaded).

basco 10-04-2010 05:38 PM

personally I'm a fan of meth but like I said only when you've got a system with a double fail-safe like the MoTeC or AEM that will cut timing and boost when flow is impeded

srninjastar 10-04-2010 07:33 PM

yea i was gona order the AEM 5 gallon meth kit and its only $395 which is stupid cheap.

basco 10-04-2010 07:53 PM

make sure you get an AEM EMS for the true timing failsafe

srninjastar 10-04-2010 08:28 PM

i was gona get my car dyno tuned at the same shop i got my tranny rebuilt (Secret Services) im pretty sure that they have all the tuning software to tune my car correctly.