Need advice with setup - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-25-2008, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

sfelix818 is more helpful than not
Need advice with setup

I just bought a p&p vf 39 turbo for a good price, but ive been reading up on 3 port boost solenoids. My question is do you think i will need this or is it just well worth getting this? if so what brand should i get? I want to get this done right the first time and I am getting a dyno tune (protune).

Last edited by sfelix818; 05-25-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2008, 10:59 PM
b7g
WRXtuners Member

b7g is an unknown
The best option for you is to ask your tuner whether he can or prefers to tune with a 3port bcs. Perrin, Prodrive are some of the bcs's used on our cars, but you can get a GM 3port for a lot cheaper and find out if your tuner's shop can install those so it can be installed on the spot before the tune.

drive = freedom
#3 Old 05-25-2008, 11:49 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Some tuners think the stock one is good for 20psi (prob as much as you'd run) anyway. Talk to your tuner. It's recommended you go with what they are comfortable with.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 05-26-2008, 07:51 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
The stock BCS might be good for 20psi,but it's respnce curve sucks.The 3 ports work much faster and more efficient.Also bigger turbos cause problems for the stocker at lower boost levels.Plus with a 3-port,if set up in interupt mode,can almost act like a MBC.It blocks the signal and allows the turbo to spool up much faster.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#5 Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ok thanks for the above advice. Got one more question do I need to replace the fuel pump?
#6 Old 05-27-2008, 02:59 PM

Garage
it would help, it's not a requirement.

#7 Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Alright thanks
#8 Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hey just wanted to know if I have to replace the y-pipe if I purchase a ssautochrome tmic? or do you know of a better tmic with a y-pipe?
#9 Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Yeah the pump is just fluff once again ask your tuner if they want that extra room on tuning the fuel side of the map. The SS TMIC should come with a y-pipe. You won't be able to reuse anything from the oem TMIC for a perfect fit except hardware. About the bcs also I don't think it was mentioned so I'll throw it in there if you decide to keep the stocker you'll need to modify the resitrictor pill (drill it) to accomodate the 39. I also recommend the 3 port bcs especially because the GM is so cheap.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#10 Old 06-04-2008, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Should i go with a sti tmic or a ssautochrome? What will be the difference between the two? Someone is selling me the sti tmic for 150 used and someone else is selling the ssautochrome for 100 new, what do you think I should do?
#11 Old 06-05-2008, 01:03 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The STI TMIC isnt really that much bigger than the stock. I have never seen the SS Autochrome one in person, but from pics Im sure its bigger. I would go with something like it, but me personally would also go with a name brand, just me though.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 06-05-2008, 07:30 AM

Garage
The STi TMIC is about 75% bigger than the 06-07 wrx intercooler and only maybe 50% bigger than the 02-05 wrx intercooler. Numbers estimated out of my ass.

The APS top mounted intercooler is the biggest one I know of and it's about twice the size of the STi one, so something like 3x bigger than the 02-05 and 3.5x bigger than the 06-07.

The SSAC and most of the other are somewhere in between STi and APS size.

#13 Old 06-07-2008, 12:28 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
The STi intercooler is quite that big !The main problem is it has the same pressure drop/restriction as the stockers due to the "tube and fin" configuration they use for the core.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!