Subaru WRX Forum banner

My low and slow build thread

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 · (Edited)
So I guess for starters I'll introduce myself and tell you some purpose of this build.

Name is Adam, and I recently purchased my first Subaru a few weeks back. I have been tuning cars for what seems like my entire life. Starting with my first build with my father at just 8 years old on a 68' Cuda. A few of my other builds over the years have included 86' M5, 99' M3, and 2011 M3.

My direction and focus on my vehicles changes on a weekly basis never really knowing how or what I am going to do. However on this particular build, the focus is completely different then most. Few days back I got my card from the "Bullrun" association with my acceptance of my check and spot for 2013 June race from Montreal to New Orleans in 7 days.

Most vehicles in this race are 100k + cars..... so they asked me why I chose to enter 06 WRX. My answer was I want to do something so out of norm for this event but still keep up with the big boys. The conversation was more or less hilarious but he gave me the thumbs up and said he would see me at the rear of the pack.... Ya okay buddy....

I am by no means a person with deep pockets, but a person with incredible will. Never be told I can't keep up or do something proficiently. So I guess a little list of what the car has now and what I should expect in the end.

2006 WRX Limited with 109,800 miles
As the car sits

Bah need to run out real quick but ill update this as soon as i get back from the hospital... expect and update within 3hrs

See less See more
#2 ·
Well welcome to the site. If your really wanna focus on racing, look into suspension first and foremost. With added power comes added stress to everything on the car and most people over look the suspension, also a good set of tires goes a loooooong way in aiding performance.
I have also been working on cars since.....well forever. I'd say mid 70's in when I got into it with the help of my dad and grandfather(crap i'm old)...Anyway congrats on the car and let us know how thing go.

#3 ·
Ok as promised I am back.... so here is what I have purchased thus far.... Akuma Motorsports in NJ will be doing the primary build and will be responsible for all aspects of the car. I did give them the okay to blog about this particular build but so far this is what I have.

I also went to NHwraps today to get the car specced. The car will be wrapped in a Matte Purple. The wrap is made by 3M and will be an exact match to this:

Also the wheels that we ordered are the wheels on the Lambo as well.... We went with the

ADV1 05 DC in an 18x10 +35 offset all around.

Yesterday I pre-ordered the Air Lift Performance Digital Combo Package for those interested here is :

Subaru Impreza/ WRX 2002-2007 | Air Lift Performance

I'll get all the build specs from AKUMA in the morning. Stay tuned.

For those of you wondering how this is being funded.... I sold my pride and joy to make this event and project happen for my team. I will forever miss my VF Engineering 11' M3 however this has been a bucket list item for my teammates and I. So bullrun 13' bring it on.

If you have any questions or feedback we would love to hear what you have to say.

#7 ·
As of right now the car currently sits pretty stock.

Suspension:

Tein Super street coil overs

Tranny:

1st through 4th straight cut dog set by PPG

And a tune. other then that its pretty stock.... im waiting to hear back from John @ Akuma to give you the full details on the build... if i can post the build spec sheet i will.

#10 ·
Rather then breaking down the receipts from the build ill just copy and paste everything that we have agreed upon from Akuma... hopefully this will give you a little insight for the car.

The wheel size is justified. And nothing on this vehicle has been overlooked.

Item

COS-SUB-LBK-0... Subaru EJ25 (2.5L) 2004-2006 w/ Big Valve Cylinder
heads and KK3766 Cams-STD Crank 8.2:1cr

GRIM 3 Port Solenoid for Subaru. Plug and play fitment.

Gates timing belt kit. Includes all necessary pullies and
tensioners. Includes water pump and non stretch timing
belt.

COBB accessport 2004-2006 2.5 Turbo ALL. 2007 WRX
and STI

Deatschwerk Fuel Pump, 300LPH.

COSWORTH Subaru Hi Volume inlet manifold from Cosworth.
Increased plenum volume on this cast aluminum piece.
OEM fitment.

Fuel Injector Clinic Hi Impedance top feed injectors.
Made with NEW Bosch ball/seat style injectors. Flow
tested, balanced to 900cc.

GRIM-TGV-0406 Ported and Polished TGV Runners.

Tial MVS Wastegate

Extreme Turbo System 3.5"

GAR-GTX3076 .82A/R

TiAL V-Band - Turbine Housing. Stainless Steel, GT30
frame turbo.

Cosworth High Volume Subaru fuel rail kit (top feed)

Brembo Gran Turismo Big brake kit for the 2006 WRX
(Front). Includes caliper, pad, lines, and rotors for the
06-07WRX.

Gran Turismo Big brake kit for the 2006 WRX
(Rear). Includes caliper, pad, lines, and rotors for the
06-07WRX.

CUSTOM-FAB Full fabrication of custom intercooler Pipe Kit. Hand
made by AKUMA with 6061 TIG welded aluminum.
Akuma 76mm Intake. 6061 Aluminum

Full race equal length header for the Subaru WRX/STI.

Carbonetic Triple Disc Clutch System for the 02-06WRX

This is pretty sloppy but I'll have some more time later to doctor this us. But for the time being here is just some information on the build itself out of AKUMA Motorsport.

And yes you read the entrance fee correct it is a $20,000 buy in that includes your hotel, food and beverage. Excludes your bail money, tickets and hookers.

So I also got quite a few pms from people about the Purple.... I have a few sponsors for this event and the purple with Black lettering was highly favored by the companies... when the event is over it with be peeled back and painted Phantom Black.

#13 ·
Not bad. You're gonna need engine mounts and probably an oil cooler depending on how you drive (remove it after you're done). The intake manifold is a waste of money as you're not going to make enough power to benefit from it. You may need an STI ECU as well for those heads. I can't confirm that. Cams are also a little aggressive.

No gauges? Sway bars?

Also, nice request. :pity:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.