LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroscub View Post
buy an evo.
my new favorite member

in all seriousness though my evo lags more than my rex did. full boost at about 3500 rpms compared to 3000 but when it hits it hits hard.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-05-2007, 08:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Lil Shoaf: take a closer look at that guy's rex. That's not just a rotated intake manifold. He's got a fully relocated turbo, which allows for MUCH shorter header and intercooler piping, shorter than the piping on the evo.
#18 Old 09-06-2007, 01:26 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
the guy who made that green wrx is a genius. Putting the radiator on top is a stroke of brilliance.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#19 Old 09-06-2007, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

valetudospan is an unknown
What about a VF35??? Anyone running this?:eek:

fix the nut behind the wheel
#20 Old 09-06-2007, 05:19 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
Lil Shoaf: take a closer look at that guy's rex. That's not just a rotated intake manifold. He's got a fully relocated turbo, which allows for MUCH shorter header and intercooler piping, shorter than the piping on the evo.

I saw that, but seriously doubted it was a valid option here.. That's a big PITA to do all the piping and spec it out.. It also puts your turbo out there to be hit by all kinds of things, not to mention destroyed in a minor fender bender. Off the shelf rotated kits don't really gain you much in the way of shorter piping.. Mine in fact is longer.. My Down Tube also has a 90 degree bend directly after the turbo which sucks but has to be with the setup..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#21 Old 09-07-2007, 01:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
OFF TOPIC -- but the guys(from crawford performance in colorado I believe) who built that insane green WRX also have an '05 STI in blue that I think every Subie fan should take a close look at. the blue one was recently on the cover of Modified Mag and in that issue it gives a full breakdown on how ti was all built and spec'd.

I also believe that both are built as drag/show cars not street driven cars
#22 Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Shoaf View Post
A Tri-Ball bearing turbo will spool the fastest.. Keeping the Hot Side (exhaust housing) small will also aid in faster spool. Just remember that an amazingly fast spooling turbo will most likely limit your top end.. It will in esence not flow enough air and max out..

Edit: just noticed your note about top end, Also I have never seen them listed anywhere but I know they are made..
Who makes Tri-Ball bearing turbos?? I haven't been able to find any...!Cry!

#23 Old 09-17-2007, 07:58 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
I'm not 100% sure they are released to the public.. I was talking to the guys at Andrew Tech Automotive about them last year.. Until they said something about them I didn't know they even existed.. You can always try contacting them to see if they can line you up with one. I can't remember the specific installers name that I talked to about it..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#24 Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
If you REALLY don't care about cost... here's what you can do.
1. Like wrxkid said, you can get a twinscroll turbo with titanium internals (such as the vf36). Since you don't care about top end, it will do the job well. If you REALLY don't care about top end there's the vf38, which also has titanium internals, but it's smaller than the vf36.
2. In addition to tiwnscroll and titanium you can shorten the exhaust and intercooler piping by doing something similar to this guy.

As you can see, since his turbo is right behind his front bumper, that allows all the header runners to be much shorter and also similar (if not equal) length. Your headers (with the twinscroll turbo) will be 4-2 as well. On top of that, the turbo will be breathing RIGHT into the intercooler, which in turn will be exiting RIGHT into the intake manifold.
3. Of course you'd have to do all the typical, boring stuff too. That means turboback exhaust, 3 port bcs, port and polish absolutely EVERYTHING, ceramic coat everything on the exhaust side, wrap the headers, external wastegate, antilag (if you want) built block (pick your displacement, but obviously more = faster spool), and dual avcs heads, with engine management, of course.

If you do all that, you'll easily be over the cost of buying another wrx, but your car will be BADASS!!! Can you tell I've thought through this before? Sigh... if only I had money like you.
One of the greatest posts ive ever read!

#25 Old 10-16-2007, 02:48 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I have the magazine and article about that car, the guy really new what he wanted and just did it. Its an amazing car.
#26 Old 10-16-2007, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I have the magazine and article about that car, the guy really new what he wanted and just did it. Its an amazing car.
What magazine and what issue... Im gonna buy it!

#27 Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Its a Super Street Issue of July 2007. Its the cover car, its a nice pick. Too bad my copy is falling apart cause of the desert heat. Oh well, oh by the way its their power issue. 2600HP Supra, couple other nice cars.