Subaru WRX Forum banner

mobil1 5w30 wtf?

27K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  mystilexzero 
#1 ·
ok I have used mobil 1 for the past 2 years in my eclipse, now i put it in my 7000 mile 2007 wrx and at first it ran a little wierd, i had to give the car a bit more power to get going and it burned oil in about a week, i had to add an extra qt. I let the car warm up 1 minute and drive slow for the first 5 minutes of driving before i decide to even punch it just a little bit to 5k rpms, today i was running some errands and decided to speed here and there between freeway's and now i needed to add an extra quart. After hours of reading I finally decided im done with mobil1 5w30 for this car, there are just as many bad posts about it as there are good posts, so now im just here wondering if this combo seems good

Redline 10w40
Pureone oil filter

if you have something better in mind let me know ill take it under consideration.

#6 ·
My tuners are part of Subaru Canada's Rally Team ... I was having smoking issues with my02 wrx. First thing they asked was if I used Mobile 1 at any time. After explain that I have never used Mobile 1 in the Suby we discovered that my smoking was coming from the oil seal within the turbo. Anyways ... long story short, They tell me that all the Suby's that they have/use/abuse all use ELF 10W50 which is a full synthetic during the hot summer months and suggest not using any other brand. Little bit more expensive but worth every penny!

#8 ·
Redline oils are great in fact i sell them in my shop. A lot of it has to do with weather conditions. where I am during the summer tends to be hot and humid ... 10W50 or the 10W40 should be fine. in winter when its DAMN COLD I would use 10w30 or 5w30 full synthetic.

#10 ·
Somebody on my local forum just posted these test results...makes me regret changing to Mobile 1 last oil change...

Attachments

#30 ·
Subaru recommends an ILSAC GF-4 grade oil or API SM oil marked "Energy Conserving". As for viscosity, Subaru recommends 5W-30.

Keep in mind "True" synthetic oils are Group IV oils that have a base stock of PAOs. Mobil 1 is classified Group III, and it's base stock is factionally distilled petroleum that has been hydrocracked.

#22 ·
well upon hours of research on nasioc.com i decided to just go with what i had locally and bought redline for 29.99 for 4 quarts, and another single qt for 7.99. I decided to run 10w30 for now and maybe next oil change ill goto 10w40, if i like it ill stay with it forever probably. Btw if your looking for royal purple or redline i noticed alot of "local" stores such as monument auto parts or stockton auto parts carry this stuff rather than autozone or kragen n such. The guy at the store offered me a K&N oil filter, walked straight out the door =) Anyone agree that pureone filters are 2nd best next to the new subaru oem ones?

#27 ·
Castrol GTX you mean. anyway, Robby, where do you buy your Purple? i know that Summit sells it, and Pep Boys. I've been contemplating about changing from Mobil 1, and Wal-Mart sells it for 6.76 i think. only in 5w30 though. will it make a difference if its 5w30 or 10w40? because that picture showed the 10w40.
I'm pretty erked right now because i just changed my oil friday.. damnit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.