Subaru WRX Forum banner

mobil1 5w30 wtf?

27K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  mystilexzero 
#1 ·
ok I have used mobil 1 for the past 2 years in my eclipse, now i put it in my 7000 mile 2007 wrx and at first it ran a little wierd, i had to give the car a bit more power to get going and it burned oil in about a week, i had to add an extra qt. I let the car warm up 1 minute and drive slow for the first 5 minutes of driving before i decide to even punch it just a little bit to 5k rpms, today i was running some errands and decided to speed here and there between freeway's and now i needed to add an extra quart. After hours of reading I finally decided im done with mobil1 5w30 for this car, there are just as many bad posts about it as there are good posts, so now im just here wondering if this combo seems good

Redline 10w40
Pureone oil filter

if you have something better in mind let me know ill take it under consideration.

#33 ·
Didn't you see that bearing load test earlier in this thread? Why use Redline oil if it failed the bearing test as bad as the Mobil 1 oil? Seems you are paying all that money for nothing. If money is not the issue, why aren't you running Royal Purple instead?

Personally I'm not worried about any of this oil hoopla. To save money I change my own oil & filter every 3,000 miles using Mobil 1 & a Subaru filter, and since don't race my daily driven WRX, I'm not worried in the least about my bearings. I'll tell you though, I do run Royal Purple in my 2004 mach 1 and it seems to do very well with it.

#34 ·
well i showed my tuner that picture by giving him the link to this post and he simply replied, if they arent the pistons in an ej25 than he doesnt care, he's been running redline since 10k and all his built motors run redline and even till 100k, when he took his engine apart to rebuild it, it had regular wear and tear. By regular i mean, the wear and tear on a wrx with a regular driver, not someone who races their car so long story short

redline protected his engine through all the racing and dyno runs and daily driving conditions up to 100k thus far, and will keep using it until proven other wise. also the oil used there was 5w40, my tuner uses 10w40 in the winter and 15w50 in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.