Methanol / Water Injection Systems - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-14-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mlemjs is an unknown
Methanol / Water Injection Systems

Does anyone have any experiences with Methanol / Water injection in particular the company Snow Performance? I've read that the STi Rally teams use Methanol / Water Injection in their vehicles. Can anyone say whether its worth it to increase the efficiency of a daily driver? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-14-2009, 01:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
i wouldn't mess with water/methanol injection on a daily driver unless i was a serious track going enthusiast IMO.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #3 of 14 Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
I had Snow Performance and it was a waste of money. 1. Once i received the kit the pump looked like it came out of a salt water fishing boat and the kit was just really cheap made. 2. yes you can get more power out of it and you can up your boost and change your timing, however running meth can be really dangerous cause once you get it tuned and your running that tune while using meth and the meth runs out you can pretty much say goodbye to the engine. Quote me if im wrong though.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-14-2009, 04:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
your right vd5505, but if you do that you are pretty dumb. some kits come with a failsafe that just wont bost if you run out of meth. otherwise just check your kit everyonce in a while and you shhould be fine. the torque curves are very impressive with meth injection.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-14-2009, 06:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
i would save the money and not buy a meth kit and put it towards something else like suspension since alot of people seem to forget about that part haha
post #6 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 04:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I will be the oddball here and say go for it. Pretty much any setup will benefit greatly from water/meth injection. Unlike many power mods, you don't sacrifice anything with water/meth. No increase in lag, no need to upgrade fuel, just more power throughout the entire powerband. I would stay away from Snow Performance, though. Their kits are way overpriced, and lack any features. If you can afford it, I would wait for Aquamist's HFS-6 ($900?). It will be the most bomb kit EVER.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 11:12 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
what mods do you have? if you are still stock then i would spend the money somewhere else.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #8 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

like suspension
post #9 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 01:50 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
or TBE and a tune

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #10 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
labante performance makes a good cheap kit
post #11 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

like noted above, this is something you do not want to go cheap on and if you do at least have a fail safe on it for when or if you run out of meth
post #12 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
From what everyone I know that has meth/water injection systems says, you don't get a large gain out of it for the cost. "A good tune can make more power than most half-assed meth maps." -My tuner, Bren G. Unless you are planning on running a UTEC or AP where you can switch maps on the fly, it's not worth it at all. And yes if you run out of meth, you will destroy the motor. Even with the failsafe, it can still cause damage.

+1 for the suspension upgrade instead. Hell, just a set of endlinks can make the world of difference in a daily driver. Honestly, meth/alcohol/water injection isn't worth it on a daily driver. Maybe on a strictly track car.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #13 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 04:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

RenoSTi is an unknown
My buddy had put the snow performance kit on his and WITH a protune he made an additional 40whp. I just bought this kit for my car and I'm waiting to put it on...I don't know why everyone says stay away from it...I think its a great kit and mine is made really well. Those of you that didnt get any gains didn't get a protune. It says in the directions not to expect a big gain without a protune...sounds like a dumb idea anyway. Get water/methanol and get a protune...everyone I know that has it said it was the best thing they've spent they're money on as far as power gains.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-17-2009, 09:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The simpleist reason is without fail safes and sometimes even with fail safes. It causes engine damage or detention. *shrugs* Maybe it's just me. But, until I was really trying to squeeze numbers and considering it not a DD anymore. I can't kill this car and would prefer it to be on the road.