max boost - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

rexwgn is on thin ice
Send a message via AIM to rexwgn
max boost

I was jw the max boost a stock block 07 REX can handle. I have full exhaust intake front mount and other minor mods but zero internal engine work. Any one have an idea on what the car can withstand boost wise, or an idea on what i can add for bolt on mods to up the hp from 272whp? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 07:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The stock block can pretty much handle anything the stock turbo can do without detonating. That's not saying much though since the td04 is so small.

Knowing that, whatever fuel you have will limit the boost more so than the block. I would say 20-21 psi max on 92 octane.

-Chris
post #3 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

rexwgn is on thin ice
Send a message via AIM to rexwgn
I'm running 93 oct. and have a clogged dpipe. So my first step is getting the invidia catless dpipe. Im at 16 peak now and was told that with the new downpipe could possibly go to 18 psi. This is my daily driver so I'm looking to keep it safe. Any opinions on the 18 psi?
post #4 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well from your mods you could probably push more but that will be for a tuner to figure out once he gets his hands on your car. It also depends on the season and gas. I'm currently running ~19psi on 91 octane but I'm at 4200'. Come winter I need to make sure the car is still running safe, mostly because the gas will switch to the winter blend. With 93 octane, low elevation, and the FMIC I'd say 18 psi is well within the safe limits.

-Chris
post #5 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I was running 20 PSI on my stage 2 setup with stock TMIC. It was a littel aggressive, but no issues what so ever. That was on 92OCT in Fort Lewis, Washington. But like Chris said there isnt a magic number, Its all about the tune, the tuner, and how the car takes to the tune.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"