Subaru WRX Forum banner

Looking for tips - NEWB NEEDS HELP

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
Ok, I am very new to the Subi world and I have been reading on here for weeks now. I must say everything I read seems to get contradicted in another thread somewhere. I have an 06 WRX, and the only thing I've gotten myself is a boost gauge (which I'm hopefully installing tomorrow). The car currnetly has a Perrin short ram intake, perrin crank pulley, and eibach springs.

What I want to know right now:
#1 - I am planning on starting with an STI TMIC, and I know I won't see much of a gain until I tune (which will come later). My question is what will I NEED to make this happen??
I will need the intercooler, and Y pipe kit (I've heard the ebay ones work well).
Will I NEED to get the STI hood scoop and a splitter? Can I get a splitter without the scoop? Do I need either of these extras, will they really improve performance or is it just braggin rights? I get the gist, forcing more air onto the intercooler will improve the performance, but it seems like it will cost an extra 300 or so just to get the scoop and splitter. Will I be fine without one??

Following this I plan on a TBE and a tuner (probably a COBB), so my questions about those will come shortly as I get there.

#2 - Also, I would like to have the sound of a BOV, and I have read countless threads on these as well. Is there a BOV (preferably an adjustable one) that will give me a great sound without sacrificing the integrity of the engine (by making it rich every shift)? I am looking to get an adjustable one so I'm not dumping it all, just enough to make it heard.

I appreciate any help with this, and I know these have been beaten to death, but like I said I have really been doing my HW and can't seem to come to my own conclusions. I would like to hear from the people who have actually done these things. Thanks again guys for your input!

See less See more
#2 ·

06-07 wrx scoops are exactly the same size as a STI scoop. So, all that you need is the splitter. It's not needed, but if you don't upgrade the splitter. Then you won't get all of the air from the scoop across the intercooler.

#2 pretty much nothing will work how you stated it BOV wise. Only some hybrid BOVs will work better than most. Cobb XLE BOV, GFB hybrid, and some others. Someone else might be able to fill in the rest. I run the Cobb XLE in full recirculation though....it has 3 modes and even Cobb recommends to run it full recirculation. Another member uses it in hybrid mode and I'd have to let him answer that setting. Full recirculation it works as good as the stocker and for some reason it seems to accelerate just a tad better between shifts. But, that might just be my imagination.

#6 ·
Its not a big difference in sound "loudness" to me. Just the Cobb XLE makes a shorter recirclation sound or in other words the sound is quicker than the stocker. Hybrid or full atmostphere would make it louder, but I don't want to play around with the downsides of it blowing air off instead of recirculating it.

You might be able to hear it more with a intake. But, my set-up is just a panel filter with the silencer delete right now. I'm going to have a APS CAI here shortly with a new tune and I'll be able to tell you later how loud it is.

#8 ·
Is that a question or a statement about your car? Because my BPV hasn't been tuned for....but realistically its just a stocker replacement at this point. I'm not installing my CAI until I get my tune...its going to mess the MAF readings up.

#9 ·
Im pretty sure Kirt was referring to me when he mentioned another member running the Cobb BOV in hybrid mode. It is louder than a stock BPV, Perrin BPV and the Cobb setup in full recirc mode. I dont think that it allows or makes the turbo or intake noise louder. Its just louder in between shifts as its letting air out into the atmosphere, and the port for that is faced up towards the hood, so theres not much there to deaden its sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.