Subaru WRX Forum banner

Long term reliability of VF34/39 upgrade

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
Anybody out there that has upgraded their car to a VF 34 or 39 and had it on a while? Any issues with reliability? plan on doing the upgrade very soon and just looking for some background before making the decision. Thanks!

#4 ·
I have personally met with people that had 50k+ on their vf turbochargers on a 2.0 engine excluding the miles collected previously with a td04. Your 2.5 ltr won't have to work nearly as hard to spin the turbo comparing to 2.0, so you're in a better postion already. Main "mod" has to be a good safe, concervative (18-19 psi) tune and the motor together with the turbo will last for a very long, long time.

#7 ·
I have a 39 and car runs great. Great power over stock. However if I had it to do all over again I would go with an 18g . My buddy has one and it seems like they are just as reliable with the potential of a couple extra ponies and a broader power curve. I plan on going to a 20g in the future. Folks out there will tell you to go bigger right away, but the way I see it, it may be safer to go in stages. Get used to more power gradually, then go bigger. Not cost efficient, but maybe safer. Plus even with a 39 we start maxing out injectors, so it is a quick and cheep power mod vs. going bigger right away (injectors, fmic, etc).

Don`t forget a fuel pump with that 39!!Thumbs Up

#9 ·
Money poorly spent for better perfomance, reliability and a piece of mind? There is a member on here that just gt his 07 tuned with a vf 39 (its kind of aggresive it sounds) but his injector duty cycle he said was at 97% with stock injectors, sounds kind of close to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.