Knocking question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-08-2003, 11:47 AM
WRXpert

renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Knocking question

Some STi's are said to have detonation problems. Thus far, I have no had any. Online I heard a recording of an STi knocking. Today, I put the pedal to the floor in 6th gear and at the highest boost I achieved, I heard a VERY faint sound exactly like that in the recording, so I tested again and got the same thing.

Is it possible that this isn't detonation? Is it possible that it could only be under high boost in 6th gear only? I've not heard it in any other gear but suspect that may be because of how loud the engine is...but am hoping it's because it doesn't knock in other gears.

Oh yeah...and knocking, detonation and pinging are different terms for the same thing, right?

RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2003, 09:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
yes..they are the same thing. in sixth gear, you are under max load....and are experiencing detonation. try different fuel, or don't load the engine so much. the factory ecu will compensate for that, but its still not good for it.....
#3 Old 07-11-2003, 05:57 PM
WRXpert

renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful renichms is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally posted by fc735
yes..they are the same thing. in sixth gear, you are under max load....and are experiencing detonation. try different fuel, or don't load the engine so much. the factory ecu will compensate for that, but its still not good for it.....
Getting it 2nd-6th gears now, and much louder. Gonna look at colder plugs, automating sprayer...any way to pop more fuel in without a new computer piece (not yet available, as I understand it)?

RN
#4 Old 08-06-2003, 11:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
my opinion...

take that thing straight back to the dealer and raise some H_LL!

you paid $3x,xxx for that lovely car... it should perform like you did too!

i'd raise heck with subaru of america too... that's rediculous... i'm a proud WRX owner but after reading all the BS about the STi and seeing all the recent comparisons of STi vs EVOIII, i would buy the EVO before the STi in the second... especially for $4000 less.

I'm rather dissapointed to see the STi having such troubles with Knock and with besting a car that has 30 less HP...

Mitsu did their homework on the EVOIII, looks to me like its time for Subaru to own up... they dropped the ball.

just my 2 cents, as usual.
#5 Old 08-06-2003, 06:25 PM
WRXpert

ECU learned. No knocking now.

RN
#6 Old 08-08-2003, 07:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
good to hear...

worth mentioning...

i still am in awe of the STi as well as the EVO... i would love to have either car over my WRX...

not that i don't love my WRX, which has ample power (after emptying my wallet to get to a point in which i can say it has ample power... (for the $ i've spent, i could have bought the EVO and Vishnu Stage Zero, lighter wheels and better tires, and would be besting even the Porsche 911 Carrera- non-turbo (according to Sport Compact Car september issue), but nonetheless... my opinion that my car looks better than a EVO.

Just that the EVO and STi have more complete packages than my car. Big brakes, incredible suspensions, they are better all category performance cars. (guess i should of saved my money)... but i just couldn't wait,, had to have the WRX the minute i saw it on the market...
this is the swell of "immediate gratification"... of course, be interested to see what skunks the EVO and STi in a few years for the same or less $$... ??? is that even possible? guess we'll see.
#7 Old 08-08-2003, 10:02 AM
WRXpert

Re: good to hear...

Quote:
Originally posted by REXronald
worth mentioning...

i still am in awe of the STi as well as the EVO... i would love to have either car over my WRX...

not that i don't love my WRX, which has ample power (after emptying my wallet to get to a point in which i can say it has ample power... (for the $ i've spent, i could have bought the EVO and Vishnu Stage Zero, lighter wheels and better tires, and would be besting even the Porsche 911 Carrera- non-turbo (according to Sport Compact Car september issue), but nonetheless... my opinion that my car looks better than a EVO.

Just that the EVO and STi have more complete packages than my car. Big brakes, incredible suspensions, they are better all category performance cars. (guess i should of saved my money)... but i just couldn't wait,, had to have the WRX the minute i saw it on the market...
this is the swell of "immediate gratification"... of course, be interested to see what skunks the EVO and STi in a few years for the same or less $$... ??? is that even possible? guess we'll see.
I wish the STi had the 02-03 body style though...otherwise, it really kicks ass.

RN