K&N Typhoon- Opinions? Anyone have it? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-20-2006, 04:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Flat 4 is an unknown
K&N Typhoon- Opinions? Anyone have it?

I work at an auto parts store and can order a K&N Typhoon for my car for a really good price (under $200).

I've heard that these work really well with the STi. Does anyone have first-hand experience with the K&N Typhoon? If so, how is the fitment, did you notice a difference, and has your car experienced any adverse affects from it? How does it compare to say, the APS intake?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2006, 06:11 AM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
You should ask Stacy he had one for a while... From my experience the K&N is pretty good. There was a thread on here that talked about it a little bit... If you tune for it then it is a moot issue.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#3 Old 09-20-2006, 09:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
As I don't have much experience with APS parts, I can't really comment on them.

As for the K&N though, I use it and think it's good from performance to fit and finish. It installs easily and is a very nice piece. I did notice that it does lean out your afr's (yeah I know, duh... that's how intakes make power), but with some minor fuel tuning, you should be golden. I still had to pull alot of fuel in my map (utec), so it's not like I was dangerously close to running lean.

Make sure that you get the one with the heatshield. If I were to choose between the Typhoon and another intake, it would be the SPT one.

On a side note, since you've got an STi, I'd tell you to get it. With some tuning and some good boost, you'll really appreciate the extra flow. Another nice addition to your set-up would be a better IC. This is just my opinion though. I checked out my buddies STi, and with minimal mods (I'm talking K&N, tbe, AP/ST w/protune, Prodrive bcs, and ebay tmic) just hauls ass.

Last run at the strip yielded him a 12.7 @ 110. That was without launching hard. Not too bad IMO.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#4 Old 09-21-2006, 03:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

bigdpnc is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to bigdpnc
I have a 06 wrx with the K&N Typhoon intake. I have had no adverse effects with this unit. If you've done your homework you've probably seen where some intakes cause the car to run lean to do the disturbance of air past the air sensor. I have not exprienced that with this sytem. It has a good tone, it gave the car more peep. And im pretty sure i gained atleast .5 mpg. The biggest paint was getting the wires to fit around the small heat deflector that mounts infront of the air sensor. But i love this intake
#5 Old 09-21-2006, 04:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Flat 4 is an unknown
Thanks for the input!
#6 Old 10-02-2006, 09:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

subaruby is an unknown
go it, love it

I've had my K & N running for a only a few weeks but after having it tuned properly i noticed a better feel from the intake, good purchase and looks reall good under the hood, but get the heat shield version, install is easy

raped the 350.....booya has been achieved
#7 Old 10-02-2006, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Flat 4 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruby
I've had my K & N running for a only a few weeks but after having it tuned properly i noticed a better feel from the intake, good purchase and looks reall good under the hood, but get the heat shield version, install is easy
Thanks. I just saw that SPT came out with a new intake, and it looked like it was pretty nice, and I'm pretty sure there was a heat shield with that one, so I might actually purchase that. I think it retailed for cheaper than the K&N, at around $170.
#8 Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bandit is an unknown
I've hade mine for about 7 months with no complaints or problems. I totally agree with the other posts. I purchased mine off of e-bay for $199 shipped brand new in box. Easy to install and let you hear the turbo spool, that is if your exhaust isn't too loud!!! Good luck.
#9 Old 10-16-2007, 11:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

nicolas316 is an unknown
i installed the K&N on my 07 wrx, its easy to install and looks great. i havent had the chance to experience its performance ### i crashed my car. i was wondering if i will need to remap after installing K&N?
#10 Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Imprt4life is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Imprt4life
I have an SPT and it's great. The quality and layout is outstanding and looks great. Doesn't make you bay stand out much either, very inconspicuous. I'd say go with the SPT, can go wrong with subaru performance parts.

On that note, I have an extra SPT intake brand new lying around I want to sell. So if you want let me know. I wont bang ya for it, just looking to get rid of it. PM me.
#11 Old 11-03-2007, 04:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlackDevil is an unknown
Did you keep the air box in or take it out? I bought a used car and it had the typhoon installed (06 WRX) I noticed today that the stock air box is in.
#12 Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
holy old post batman!

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#13 Old 11-10-2007, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

BigJay is an unknown
I've had an AEM short ram and currently I'm running the K&N Typhoon...I love it. It's sooo much smoother through the entire power band then the AEM was. Get it...You'll love it.

BigJay-My 04 Rex loves mustangs to death literally
#14 Old 11-16-2007, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Okeyd57 is an unknown
I've had a K&N Typhoon on my 06 STi since it had 5000 miles and was bone stock. Then I went to Stage 1, stage 2, and now I have a 20G, pro tune, and all the mods that go with it, and never a problem with the K&N filter ! Nuff said ?

Okey's Black Mamba-06 STi-OBP- Cobb stage 2
#15 Old 04-13-2008, 02:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
here i go bringing back an old thread! but now that im at stage 2 with a custom tune i want as much power as i can pull out of my car so my next thought is a intake of some sort. i have a k&n filter now but im thinking about intake system such as spt, aps, and the k&n unit but how much louder will one make my car?
i had a crappy ebay shortram that came on my first car and it was crazy loud when you went wot it was just embarrassing!