Subaru WRX Forum banner

just installed my turboxs front mount intercooler...now it wont start

22K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  srninjastar 
#1 ·
so i instaled my turboxs front mount intercooler which wasnt very hard to do. bolted down every tbold and made sure everything was tight. so i go and take a test drive and get on it a lllliiiiitttttle bit and i here what sounds like a bov sound and then everything cuts off and my car dies. i open my hood see that the bpv is loose. tighten it up as well as any remaning tbolts. start it up and it dies. try it again and it idels really really low and my afrs are a solid 10. what the hell!? i know people usually get a tune for this but does it react that bad to where u cant even turn the car on? ima just put my stocker back on and go back and get a retune, unless someone cant point out to me exactly whats going on.

#4 ·
It sounds like you need to take your time when installing something major like that...just go through and check everything over really well like basco and pzr2874 said...maybe let your car idle for a few minutes to adjust to the change while checking everything over. You are using the stock bpv? make sure the recirc hose is not hitting anything and not allowing a good seal.

#9 ·
were all your prior boost leaks fixed when you put this set up on? If so then you almost know that it has something to do with the new set up...go through everything new that you put on "clamps, hoses" and check for tightness.

#11 ·
so i tighted it all and started it up. idled fine then went to hell. so just to make sure nothing ripped i put my stocker back on. fired up fine with a small boost leak like always. so im gona get a retune sometime soon with the fmic on

#14 ·
so i got my tmic back on and all is well, sorta. but now my engine bay looks all sorts of rediculous. i have 2 charge pipes on either side of my engine bay going to this massive intercooler then it all leads up going no where and then a tmic just post up chilln. hahaha tooo funny.

#16 ·
so i took it all off and put it back on piece by piexe and its workibg now with no issues. so i went and got on boost but my afrs read 10. atleast i dont have a cel. so now ima save up for a td06 20g 740cc injectors and call it a day. makin progress, even though its sketchy at times

#19 ·
just wondering what boost level are you tuned for, and why in gods name are you using an MBC when our cars are equipped with one of the most advanced boost managing ECUs out there

#20 ·
That's easy Matt. Cheap inflated numbers and then the turbo falls on its face early. But, seriously....it needs to go IMHO.

Keshav: Why do you always take a step forward and then another step back? Rinse, wash, and repeat.

#21 ·
i got tuned with the mbc when i went in for my tune. its tuned for 19 psi. the car drives fine boost kicks in slighty later and pulls. i just wasnt romping geting on it really. im very satisfied with the ontercooler. and i know i kinda stumble along when it comes to getting things to act right but im ok with it. i had a problem, turned out to be minor and i fixed. not really any reason to flame me about it.

#23 ·
Well, I was more or less really flaming the MBC decision vs you. Its just not a good idea and I'm not sure why you did it anyway?

Cobb Tuning said:
The boost control system uses a closed-loop targeting system which does everything it can to make the boost control system consistent. By employing this closed-loop boost control system the electronic control unit (ECU) can use its speed to bring down boost in over boost situations and raise the wastegate duty cycles for under boost situations. The stock boost control system is much faster than any human analysis and input; we highly suggest you use it to your advantage. In some vehicles, the boost control system can set higher boost targets up to a certain miles per hour (MPH) or bring boost targets down after a set MPH. Some vehicles allow you to tune boost by the different gears you are operating the motor in. Most critical is the fact that the ECU (on DBW vehicles) forces the boost control system to shut down completely (so the vehicle runs mechanical boost pressure) if detonation events are continuing to occur. This bit of safeguard makes the factory boost control system far superior to any aftermarket boost control system, in our opinion. Once the stock boost control system is fully understood, you will find it easy to tune on internally or externally wastegated turbos.
Source: http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3482

In short that says MBC equals bad. LOL. Idk man, If I'm coming across the wrong way. Then I'm sorry. I'm just trying to understand why you'd risk the engine for a part that isn't necessary.

#25 ·
ill probably sell the mbc i have and get a 3port ebc. i got the mbc for dirt cheap so im not sweatn it to much. plus i havent been in boost really since gas prices are sky high. ill get the ebc, 850cc injectors a quality turbo grimm speed air oil seperator and retune. cause i stillll need to get tint and get a wingless/cf trunk and new tires

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.