Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   Just installed DP, Now a question. (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/just-installed-dp-now-question-21211/)

Wilks132 11-23-2007 07:11 PM

Just installed DP, Now a question.

I just installed my Cobb DP w/ Cobb CBE and Stage 2. I had the CBE on before the DP. After the install i took her for a ride. What a difference. However, I think i might have an exhaust leak. At around 2k rpm i hear this "flapping" noise and it sounds like it is coming from where the shifter is. Is this a leak, or, is this my turbo noise. After i hear this flapping i can hear the turbo whistle.

And, my dumb a$$ didnt purchase a heat shield not realizing that the stock wouldnt fit, so i dont have a heat shield at the moment, probably gonna just get the SPT. Will I be ok for a few days without it?

And, It was IMPOSSIBLE to actually torque the bolts on the turbo where it meets the DP. So I hand tightened them, not to much, but they are tight, Will this be ok?

Anyway overall HUGE difference over stage 1. Just worried about the above questions...

Wait...no...one more....If i buy an ssautochrome TMIC, will i have to tune for it? or, can i just bolt it on and go with the OTS Cobb Stage 2 map??

Ok..thats it

Boostbuddy 11-23-2007 08:29 PM

You diffenently need to TQ down those bolts on the DP...if they are only hand tightened I am pretty sure you have an exhaust leak.

RodimusPrime 11-23-2007 08:49 PM

In terms of the larger IC, mostly if not everyone on the forums will tell you to get a tune for it. I run the large IC,DP (setup just like yours) and it works fine, but I'm getting a Pro tune in a couple of weeks to get the full potential. And since you just flashed it to Stage 2, you'll want to get it tuned for that too. You'll get even more power compared to the OTS map from the COBB stage 2.

Also, when I pruchased the Larger IC, I also bought the air splitter from the STI for the hood scoop. Something you might want to consider..

In terms of the Heat Shield, the SPT and COBB will work. I dont run one, if you purchase the SSautochrome IC, don't think you need one.

Wilks132 11-24-2007 01:39 AM

I tried every which way to torque those bolts, i even paid for a 3/8in torque wrench that was 75 bucks. Every which way i tried, i didnt have enough room. It works, i think its just the turbo. it doesnt sound like its coming from the dash it sounds like its coming from the transmission area

Wilks132 11-24-2007 01:45 AM

and, the directions say to torquw down to only 25 ft. lbs. which is almost nothing. tried to torque them but couldnt get the wrench on the bolts. couldnt do it. they are definitley tight and not gonna come loose. but the 3/8 torque wrench was too big

Wilks132 11-24-2007 02:30 AM

sorry, but is the fapping an exhaust leak or the turbo spooling?

Boostbuddy 11-24-2007 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=Wilks132;177951]sorry, but is the fapping an exhaust leak or the turbo spooling?[/QUOTE]

Flapping is not turbo spool

Wilks132 11-24-2007 01:30 PM

YES, i used a socket and a wrench, but couldnt get a torque wrench in the tight spaces. So they are TIGHT!!!. And i bought a new gasket and installed that between the turbo and DP. I dont think its coming from there. If its a leak, i think its coming from the DP/CBE connection. I reused the stock doughnut gasket and installed it on the new dp. However, where the DP connects to the trans mount, was very "snug". when i connected the cbe to the dp, it was like i had to pull the entire cbe forward so it would connect and had to hold the two together while i installed the bolt springs. Is the doughnut gasket supposed to be flush on the dp? I had to tap it on to the dp, it was also a snug fit. Its almost like the DP, is shorter then the oem dp

sinner 11-24-2007 02:40 PM

What kind of torque wrench were you using? ROFL

Wilks132 11-24-2007 05:55 PM

well after some research on nasioc and cobb forums I think what the flapping noise is wastegate flutter. I think that since the dp insatll the noise just got louder. any thoughts on this?

Boostbuddy 11-24-2007 07:40 PM

You should only get Waste Gate flutter when you are hitting max boost in higher gears (3-5)

If your Gasket is the wrong size that could cause a 'weird' noise...do you have an aftermarket cross over pipe?

Wilks132 11-24-2007 08:16 PM

the car is stock except for the cobb tbe and accessport. the gasket that I used is straight from subaru part counter.

SWFL Scooby 11-24-2007 09:39 PM

Simple answer- the noise could be wastegate flutter. To find out if it's an exhaust leak, simply place your hand by the downpipe when the car is running and you will feel air coming out around it.

Wilks132 11-24-2007 11:34 PM

ok, i have decided that is WG flutter due to the fact that i dont hear it in 1st gear at all or when reving the car in neutral where i shouls be able to hear it if it was a leak. second, the flutter is pronounced in second when i hit the gas and befing to boost. it loud right when it begins to boost in second, third etc, but when its in low vacuum cruising, i cant hear it until it starts to go into the boost. Now i read that you can releive this by adjusting the WG arm, but i dont really want to mess with the stage 2 boost and if i read correctly the WG arm will increase the possibility of boost creep.

Wilks132 11-25-2007 04:53 PM

anyone have any thoughts on this? the flutter occurs in the vacuum right before it starts to boost in second. I want to make sure its wg flutter and not compressor surge. like I said I don't think its a leak cause I don't hear it while reving the car in neutral or in first.