Subaru WRX Forum banner

just a few quick evo2 questions.

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  kh15 
#1 ·
im ready to go ahead with the evo2 cat-back exhaust on my 06 wrx but before i go any further i have a few quick questions

1.) i want a TBE exhaust system so does that mean i would not only need to buy the evo2 but a down pipe as well to achive this?

2.) with this new exhaust how many sensors from the stock exhaust will no longer have a place to go? will i throw a CEL?

3.) is this safe for the future life of my car? i comute to school 4 days a week with a total of around 200 miles a week so i dont need any side effects of having a tbe exhaust system.

4.) will i fail emissions testing?

i know the last thing you guys want is to answer a bunch of exhaust questions so i thanks for helping me out. this is my first real car and i dont want to mess anything up on it!

#2 ·
1) Yes, you will also need to purchase either a "High Flow" catted Down Tube or a Catless Down Tube to achieve a "Full Turbo Back Exhaust".. TBE...

2) With only the EVOII you will have not CELs and all the sensors will be fine, the issues comes when you swap out the Down Tube as the factory EGT lives there..

3) The Catback will have no adverse effects on the longevity of the car.. The Down Tube however "might".. I say this because it will increase the boost about 1 psi but we are not talking much.. Maybe a few miles off the life of the engine.. However, if you start to drive more spirited once you start to really HEAR that exhaust note you will shorten the life of your motor and drive-train..

4) The EVOII "might" cause emissions issues.. For example in PA it is Illegal to alter the exhaust in ANY manor in which to make it louder.. So for that fact it "should" fail, but the EVOII is a nice quiet catback (I have it) and most shops will pass it.. The Down Tube however could cause issues if you go catless.. Check you local laws and shops.. If you can find a "cool" shop it's all gravy...

#4 ·
kh15 said:
cool thanks shoaf! i just got back from my local tune shop and my friend who works there quoted me 1400$ for the evo2 cat-back, a turbo xs downpipe, and install. what do you guys think about that quote?
It sounds about right. It's usually around 200 for the downpipe install, and around the same for the exhaust install. So, I'm figuring you have about 1000 bucks in parts.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
yea i have really been thinking about it and i think im going to go ahead and get this system, i'll be sure to let you guys know who the car makes out! thanks!

would you guys even worry about a high flow cat? or somthing like a resonator to make it even quieter? this exhaust set up cant be any louder than some big f-250 ford or a or some harley right? i just want to make sure everything is perfect before i get it done

#6 ·
dude im selling my greddy evo 2. For about $420. I used it for a while but i wanted a louder exhaust so i got the ansa. Hey, and thats a little too much for turbo back i think. I got the invidia downpipe(catless, i know u need the cat) but i got that for like $260. Then the ansa was $370, so thats about $640 bucks for turbo-back and its really easy to install, i would never pay someone for installation for bolt ons and stuff, but if u dont have the tools then i guess u have to.
But when i bought my greddy, i got it for like $570, so im selling it around $400. Ya it has a really nice tone, but being around nur specs and other loud exhausts i had to go louder, plus in Fl theres no rules, but if youre interested let me know.

#7 ·
Lawsuby1 said:
dude im selling my greddy evo 2. For about $420. I used it for a while but i wanted a louder exhaust so i got the ansa. Hey, and thats a little too much for turbo back i think. I got the invidia downpipe(catless, i know u need the cat) but i got that for like $260. Then the ansa was $370, so thats about $640 bucks for turbo-back and its really easy to install, i would never pay someone for installation for bolt ons and stuff, but if u dont have the tools then i guess u have to.
But when i bought my greddy, i got it for like $570, so im selling it around $400. Ya it has a really nice tone, but being around nur specs and other loud exhausts i had to go louder, plus in Fl theres no rules, but if youre interested let me know.
If you're trying to sell this, post an ad in the classifieds, or pm him with the details.

Thanks.

#8 ·
I think you should save yourself some money and install it yourself. It's not hard and you'll learn some stuff about your car in the process. The only unusual tool you'll need is an O2 sensor wrench, which you can get at an autoparts store. Just take the stock exhaust parts off, then go in reverse with the new ones to install. Simple.

#11 ·
kh15 said:
is the greedy evo2 the quietest? ive heard mixed things, i just dont want to be hassled by the local law enforcment! also what would be the pros and cons of getting a catted downpipe vs. a non-catted pipe?
catted vs non catted only difference is like 1hp when you arent pushing high hp numbers, and its a little louder catless.
but with power that cat isnt a problem until you are well into your high 300's in hp. the main thing you wanna fix with the stock downpipe is the size.. and you want a bell mouth so its easier for the exhaust to leave the cat doesnt cause that big of a restriction.

and i have heard many exhausts.. if you want QUIET then get the blitz nur spec t it is the quietest catback i have ever heard but it still gives you a nice little rumble.

http://fastwrx.com/blnutocaex.html

#13 ·
$1400 is a bit too much IMO. You can get a brand new EVO2 for like $525 and then a Helix catless downpipe for $200. Install will run you anywhere from $100-200 depending on the place. Also, you might want to think about buying a turbo heatshield if you don't want to mod your current existing one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.