Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   Just bought a 07 wrx tr (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/just-bought-07-wrx-tr-20663/)

2007bluewrx 10-15-2007 07:22 PM

Just bought a 07 wrx tr

Hello everyone, I just bought a 07 wrx a few weeks ago. I traded my 350z in for it. [B]( I needed more room and cheaper gas and insurance)[/B] and its great to have an all wheel drive car. I sank 3,000 grand into the motor and I still wasn't impressed. I am still learning the diffenernce between N/A and FI and I am aware of my tranny being a little week so I have a few simple question..... I plain to get the cobb ap and the ebay TBE and I wanted to do a FP 18g would that hurt the life of my tranny at all?:beatentod I really don't want to buy PPG gears anytime soon. This is my daily driver so I don't drive her hard at all.... Also does anyone know what a cobb ots map would put down with a FP18g? :beatentod Thanks guys for your help. !Thumbs Up

Any suggestions would be great too.
[COLOR="Red"]P.S. I love Subaru!!!!!![/COLOR]

Thanks guys

newtothegame 10-16-2007 02:50 AM

You can bust your tranny at stock levels, just drive responsibly. Knew a guy that put an 18G on his 06, next day broke the tranny. Other people run it without a hitch. Its all in how you treat the car. As far as Cobbs ots maps. They are just "safe" tunes. A pro-tune nets much better gains for the car. By the way, congrats on the buy.

Longshot 10-16-2007 06:43 AM

Nice choice, and you will definitely save considerably over a 350. I'd look at an evo316G which seems to be a great upgraded turbine kit for the rex. Newtothegame is right that a protune will net you a far greater gain than and ots map. If you can find a tuner shop or know of one in your area that does custom tuning with the AP then more power too ya, because I know a good amount of shops do. I've heard people say the ebay TBE works and sounds good and for the price you can't beat it, just make sure you don't waste your money on one with an UP because you dont need it. Good luck. Oh an the tranny should hold out for a bit as long as you baby it.

THR3E11EVEN 10-16-2007 09:32 AM

why doesn't he need an up pipe..
even the 06-07 will benefit from an aftermarket UP...the stock one is pretty restrictive as well
you could gut your UP but there still may be some debris in there...
and if that gets into your turbo...no good.
if you don't get the up pipe it wouldn't be considered a TBE
it would just be a CBE and DP
def. go for the UP.

2007bluewrx 10-16-2007 10:52 AM

[B]Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Its really great to chat with everyone. The reason I don't want to dyno my car because I don't want to put that much more stress on the motor. I think the ots mapp by Cobb would be fine for everyday driver. Does anyone know how much that ots mapp would dyno at? I hope I be close to 280whp.

Thanks guys for all of the help!!![/B]

Longshot 10-16-2007 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=THR3E11EVEN;173375]why doesn't he need an up pipe..
even the 06-07 will benefit from an aftermarket UP...the stock one is pretty restrictive as well
you could gut your UP but there still may be some debris in there...
and if that gets into your turbo...no good.
if you don't get the up pipe it wouldn't be considered a TBE
it would just be a CBE and DP
def. go for the UP.[/QUOTE]

I mean I don't have an 06/07 so I don't know first hand like you do, sorry I just thought they were unrestrictive.

2006wrxturbo 10-16-2007 11:13 AM

06/07 stage 2''s OTS, generally put you at 230whp and 260+ wheel torque, which has been know to shred 3rd gear. 280whp would require a VF-39. get a 20G if you get a bigger non IHI turbo. i think the 18G is a little small for the 2.5L. never hurts to have money put away for another gearset, especially if it's your daily driver.

mosc 10-16-2007 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=THR3E11EVEN;173375]why doesn't he need an up pipe..
even the 06-07 will benefit from an aftermarket UP...the stock one is pretty restrictive as well.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely False. Most aftermarket uppipes are 2.25" like the stocker anyway, not that it's a flow restriction to begin with. How exactly is the uppipe a restriction? You care to support that at all? The headers are not going to change just because you swapped out a 12 inch pipe directly in front of the turbo nor is your car magically going to grow 4 more cylanders that will actually require more than 2.25" of pipe...

Replacing the uppipe on an 06-07 is just being silly.

turmic 10-16-2007 02:12 PM

thats twice now, you've corrected 311...mosc. up-pipe replacements are only really needed pre-06 wrxs if i'm correct. and it's only really for safety reasons...its not opening up anything. its just eliminates the pre-turbo cat, so that it doesn't grenade your turbo.

THR3E11EVEN 10-16-2007 03:18 PM

the stock UP on a 06/07 is still more restrictive than an aftermarket one...
just because it's 2.25' anyway (which some are larger also)
and have you never heard of gutting the uppipes on 06/07
why would people gut an uppipe if it was fine..and no restrictive at all?

2007bluewrx 10-16-2007 03:40 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, I heard it was torque and shock load that broke that tranny? So by switching my stock turbo ( witch has a lot ot torque) To an fp 18g ( That loses some torque) wouldn't that help my tranny? I really just want the cobb ots map with the fp 18g. I think that ots map would maybe get me close to 275whp Have you guys ever seen any numbers on that stock map? . It's only a daily driver, and I never race. I don't think I ever let the rpms go past 3,500 before shifting. I never launch it eather.I just want the power if I ever need it . Do you really think I would need new gears if I drive it this easy?Sorry to sound like a tool. I am still learning

Thanks guys.

a.young 10-16-2007 04:00 PM

why would you gut the uppipe on a 06 07 anyway they do not have cats in them.

mosc 10-16-2007 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=a.young;173442]why would you gut the uppipe on a 06 07 anyway they do not have cats in them.[/QUOTE]
you wouldn't. You'd do that to an 02-05 pipe. I don't even know what "gutting" a pipe would mean if it didn't have a cat to gut!

newtothegame 10-16-2007 06:37 PM

2.25" is 2.25", unless there is a cat in it. The cat like stated is for 02-05 for safety reasons. Dont even worry or think about getting the up pipe like mosc said. Look into at least an 18G for your 2.5L engine. The 16G would be fine, but if you get tired of it, you would need another turbo for more power. The 18G should get you what you want and a little more if desired as long as you had the mods to support it.

a.young 10-16-2007 07:12 PM

well i think this guy is just giving bad advice( second thread today) [COLOR="Red"]No Guessing - if you don't know the answer, don't reply - bad advice can be worse than no advice . [/COLOR]