????JDM Ver5-6 or 06-07 WRX motor swap???? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

PowerHouse is an unknown
i suppose if you drive a car like a tool anything can be broken. there's no doubt the increase in torque will increase the strain on a stock 5 speed transmission. any transmission when babied will less likely see severe damage. i've seen some damn good drivers and easy drivers alike break lose 1st most often in ej205's and 3rd in ej255's(i'm sure you know all the final drive hearsay that goes around). as it stands, subaru does not warranty any transmission, even if you blow your transmission in stock form, as the majority of the clients we get are still stock.

I'm running on my stock tranmission on my daily beater for almost 3 years now. over 70k on the clock and only 3 monthes after purchasing it new it was putting out 366/411. now with E85 it's running 402/477. still on the stock tranmission.

to make things a little more complicated you may think about doing a V7 ej207 swap. i know finances are an issue but i was able to get mine for $1000 direct from japan. i would not mind putting you in contact with this company if you wish. send me a pm.

Psychologist Extraordinaire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 12-18-2008, 01:31 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
the expense of the EJ207 swap is not the engine, it's the ECU, harness, tuning, etc needed.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#18 Old 12-18-2008, 04:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
whenever I see ej207's for sale they normally include the harness and ecu.
#19 Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

PowerHouse is an unknown
this is the case, although i believe there will be many difficulties passing emissions in the US, which is why i opted for the built 2.5. spent 5 monthes trying to figure ways to get the 207 to run with my stock ecu and wiring harness but the cam timing sensors are just way too different. i believe the stock ecu on the pre-06 wrxs have a more compatible setup that requires some splicing, but has been done on many ocassions. eastcoastswappers.com are masterful with this kind of stuff.

#20 Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
this is the case, although i believe there will be many difficulties passing emissions in the US, which is why i opted for the built 2.5. spent 5 monthes trying to figure ways to get the 207 to run with my stock ecu and wiring harness but the cam timing sensors are just way too different. i believe the stock ecu on the pre-06 wrxs have a more compatible setup that requires some splicing, but has been done on many ocassions. eastcoastswappers.com are masterful with this kind of stuff.
I am one of many people that have passed smog with an ej207... in cali. If I can pass here, anyone can pass. You are right about the wiring on the 02-05 wrxs being much more similar to the jdm sti. You basically re-pin 4 wires (tgv->avcs) and add another 6. That's it. An RS would probably much more difficult to deal with.
#21 Old 12-18-2008, 09:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

PowerHouse is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
I am one of many people that have passed smog with an ej207... in cali. If I can pass here, anyone can pass. You are right about the wiring on the 02-05 wrxs being much more similar to the jdm sti. You basically re-pin 4 wires (tgv->avcs) and add another 6. That's it. An RS would probably much more difficult to deal with.
really? that's must be nice to have passed emissions and especially in california i would have never thought. in new mexico the emissions sniffers haven't allowed any of my friends to pass. part of the reason i didn't even begin swapping in my ej207, for fear of not being able to register.

#22 Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

If you have a stock usdm ecu, downpipe, and intake, it is almost impossible to tell the difference unless you are really familar with subarus.
#23 Old 12-22-2008, 09:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

rallly is an unknown
Does using the stock usdm WRX ecu, downpipe, and intake on the Ver 6 sti lessen the power output?
#24 Old 12-23-2008, 01:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

Downpipe and ecu, yes. Intake, not sure (probably no). The only reason I put that crap on was so I could pass smog. Once I passed, I took them off again.