????JDM Ver5-6 or 06-07 WRX motor swap???? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

rallly is an unknown
????JDM Ver5-6 or 06-07 WRX motor swap????

I need your opinion guy's.

I have a 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS and will be swapping it in the spring. I want power and reliability. I dont want to have to worry if I will break it. Here are my motor options:

1. JDM STI version 5 or 6
OR
2. 06 WRX 2.5 motor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2008, 08:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

rallly is an unknown
bumpin.!!!!!!

bumppppp
#3 Old 11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Why just those motors? Are they cheaper than everything else?

The main difference between the motors you picked is their displacements. I'm sure you know that. Do you want to rev high, or do you want torque? Besides that, the next most important thing (imo) is the difficulty of the swap and the knowledge base for each motor. The 06 motor is DBW, so at the very least you will need a matching ecu and gas pedal. The jdm sti motor swap would probably be more straightforward.

All in all I would recommend that you look into a jdm sti v7 or v8 motor, because many people have already done it (on the gc8), so information will not be difficult to find. The 06 motor, on the other hand, comes stock on pretty much every car that it's on; I haven't heard of anyone doing an 06 swap. It's ironic, because there are so many more people that have that motor, yet they will likely be less knowledgeable since they didn't have to deal with the hassle of putting in the motor themselves. Doees that make sense?

The 06 motor will also be more complicated and simply have more "stuff" on it for emissions purposes and whatnot. Off the top of my head I know it will have an air pump and tgvs, and the jdm motor will not (regardless of what version). If you end up going that route I suggest you find a wrecked 06 nearby so that you can pull off whatever you need from it. It would be nice if you could get access to a body harness. That's an upside for the 06 motor; it won't be difficult to find parts.
#4 Old 11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

rallly is an unknown
I am worried about reliability with the JDM and my budget is not able to accept a Ver7 + Sti swap

06-07 WRX is right in my budget
#5 Old 11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I figured your budget was why you didn't mention v7+. Why are you worried about reliability, though? Because of high mileage? I would actually be more worried with the reliability of the 06 because the way I see it, there are more things that can go wrong. However, it is a much more common motor.

What about jdm wrx? Legacy?
#6 Old 11-08-2008, 12:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

rallly is an unknown
Well WReXd, I am worried probably from all the info on these forums and a few shops I have called saying they like to stay away from them older Sti 's ### they tend to pop prematurely. I don't wanna spend 7K and 2-3 months later be out of a ride Also parts are hard to come by.

All I want is about 280-300 HP at the crank without the worries.

What should I do?
#7 Old 11-08-2008, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

If that's all the power you want, I would do a used 2.0L wrx swap. It will be much cheaper, simpler, and will have a larger knowledge base.

On the other hand, if you have 7k to spend, that is more than enough for a used v7 or v8 block...
#8 Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

rallly is an unknown
Question Re: Engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
If that's all the power you want, I would do a used 2.0L wrx swap. It will be much cheaper, simpler, and will have a larger knowledge base.

On the other hand, if you have 7k to spend, that is more than enough for a used v7 or v8 block...
I don't see how I can have a Ver7-8 STI swap done for less than 7K?????? All the shops I have called said 10K and up??/)
#9 Old 11-09-2008, 08:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

My friend bought his v8 ej207 with everything (including ecu) except headers, turbo and ic for $3.5k. I helped him install it, just me and him so installation was free. I think I did more work though, haha. It's not uncommon. Most used motors with relatively low mileage (<50k) sell for around that price. If you buy new, the price goes WAY up. Do you intend to do the swap yourself? The actual labor is not difficult; it's finding information that makes it so hard.
#10 Old 11-10-2008, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

rallly is an unknown
No, I won't be doing the swap. I am currently looking on ebay and forums for an STi v7+ to come up within my 7K budget and that includes labor cost, tranny, misc.. If that does not happen, my plan B is an 06-07 WRX motor job.
#11 Old 11-10-2008, 02:59 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
tranny itself is going to be rather expensive. I agree, you should be looking at USDM EJ205s. They can be had cheap, keep your stock tranny, lots of knowledge out there, easy 300whp with your budget.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#12 Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

rallly is an unknown
why not the 2.5 ?????
#13 Old 11-10-2008, 09:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

You did not mention you were going to do a tranny swap as well. That changes things. An sti motor+transmission will be around $7k. Normally, a regular 5 speed would cost about $1k but you will probably have to get it shipped, and on top of that you may want to consider getting mfactory gears or something. It depends what you plan to use the car for. If it's just spirited driving and the occasional track day, you will be fine with the stock 5 speed. If you plan to beat this car, it will be in your best interest to get stronger gears. I know I wish I had the cash for some...

Mosc and I recommend an ej205 because it's cheap and has been around for a while, so information is easy to get. 2.5L is out of the norm. You don't want to be spending your entire budget initially in case something goes wrong. Especially since you are not doing the swap I suggest you plan on having a good amount of hidden charges pop up along the way. Labor will be expensive and the hidden charges can pile up, so the cheaper the initial cost for the motor and tranny, the better. Anyway, if all you want is 300chp, the ej205 can reach that EASILY, even with the stock turbo. If you want more, you will have lots of cash left over from the swap, so for $2-3k more you could be in the mid 300s (whp). Plus you'll get better gas mileage than a ej255!
#14 Old 12-17-2008, 08:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

PowerHouse is an unknown
the 2.5L is also going to put a hell of a strain on your transmission also, if you use your stock 5 speed. torque numbers on those 2.5's get pretty high up there and even 06-07's have broken em with an exhaust n tune.

Psychologist Extraordinaire
#15 Old 12-17-2008, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
-5 That's all hearsay Powerhouse. The 5 speed can be easily broke stock on a EJ205 or EJ255. If you drive it like a tool. There's no need to talk smack on the 2.5s. It's just easier to drop a new 2.0L in, then it would be to do the 2.5 Hybrid. EJ257 Shortblock preferred with 2.0 Heads. The EJ205 is DBC and EJ255 and EJ257s are DBW. Thus you probably don't want to convert everything necessary to do DBW on a car that was setup to do DBC. Thus, hybrid the two (see above 2.5 SB with 2.0 heads). If you want to know what's necessary to do the conversion to DBW...I'd have to search it to double check i'm listing everything.