Subaru WRX Forum banner

Invidia Exhaust and Downpipe ???

32K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  scoobywrx8 
#1 ·
Ok so I was highly considering buying the Invidia N1 race exhaust for my 05 STI and i was reading there are issues with it mating up with the stock downpipe. So i looked at a few forums and people say the Invidia V2 downpipe had issues mating up and would make the exhaust not fit totally right... does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? are there any adapters for the exhaust and the stock downpipe or what about buying the Invidia V3 dp... help?

#2 ·
I know that a couple websites that sell an adaptor for making different exhausts fit together (i.e rallisportdirect). Or you could just take it to an exhaust shop and they can cut off one of the flanges and ptu a different one on so the sections will match. The later probably being a little cheaper in the long run if you know someone at a shop.

#3 ·
Call the vendor and ask to be sure. I usually go through Oakos or Import Image Racing and they have been very helpful in the past.

However, I think you should reconsider the N1 Race. It is LOUD as hell, drones a lot, one of the loudest on the market, that gets old quick, and will surly draw cops attention. Also, it is a potato shooter/fartcan and is just fugly. IMO look to the Invidia Q300 or a Maddad whisper, much more suble, easy on the ears, and look WAY better.

Personally, I think N1/slant look or burnt blue tip exhausts are for ricers and high school fanboys and are for the kiddies trying look cool in the high school parking lot. Just an epic fail and I laugh everytime I see one.

#4 ·
Ok yeah ill look into that thanks! and yeah ive read all over about the droning and how loud it is, i dont care for a burnt tip but do like the slanted look. What about the HKS Hi-power? just the standard one not the carbon fiber one that costs way more? Ive also heard the street N1 isnt as noisy either?

#5 ·
Street N1 is still loud as hell, just not as loud. The HKS is really loud as well. Pretty much all those N1 style exhausts are loud. N1 exhausts are the most highly resold exhausts on the net (check the NASIOC classifieds), b/c people get sick of them quick.

I HIGHLY encourage you not to do the slant look. It is a stupid ricer fad and it looks stupid, out of place, and not clean at all. IMO it detracts from the whole look of the car and is an eyesoar. The 1st thing people notice about your car should not be some loud/fartcan/slant look exhaust, it screams poser. These are the people I laugh at when I drive by.

Do your homework and Purchase quality parts the 1st time or you will be spending more money on replacing crappy parts down the road. An '05 STi is such as nice car, why ruin it with a ricer exhaust.

Sorry for preaching, but I feel strongly on the topic and so many people just buy crap b/c it is "cool" and not b/c it is a quality part that you will be proud of for a long time.

#6 ·
Im glad to hear that opinion and it totally makes sense. I was just reading the slanted exhausts offer just a little more power and im after any power gain i can get but if not the slanted look or the N1 exhausts what are a few more exhausts you would recommend? Its always great to hear other peoples opinions and preferences!

#7 ·
Slanted exhausts do not offer more power...whoever told you or wrote that should be punched in the face. Some good quality exhausts to consider:

Maddad Whisper (single or twin tip)
Borla Hush or XR-1
Stromung
Invidia Q300
Vibrant Street Power
TurboXS

IMO Maddad is the best on the market and they get rave reviews. Just be sure to call them as they run out of stock sometimes.

http://www.daddysscp.com/

Just make sure to get a 3 inch catback. I have also heard great things about Nameless Performace exhausts, but I they don't have anything listed on their site for 02-07 WRX/STi just the newer model years.

#8 ·
N1 Race is one of the worst sounding exhausts for our cars. It's simply too loud, raspy, drone-y, and lacks sound refinement that other exhausts have. Most people that get them end up getting rid of it down the line for something more subtle. That's the reason it's the most common exhaust for sale in the classified sections on various forums. That's just my warning. Invidia is a good company, it's just that a lot of people don't take to the N1s.

Personally, I'd get an exhaust with a standard muffler, not one of the N1s (N1 style = canister/fart can). They just sound better and depending on what you get can either be near silent or quite loud.

#9 ·
I got my car with Perrin up/down pipe & exhaust. Nice sound and look in my opinion, Im sure the 3" pipe out the back isnt what some like . You can hear it when you drive, but I dont even listen to the radio much when driving because I like to hear the car. Isnt that a part of driving these cars?

Attachments

Reactions: Aggro Crag
#10 ·
^^^^Sorry but that is FUGLY. Fartcan + Slant look = rice. Why anyone would want that is beyond me. It sits way too low and is a gradient or crappy road away of being dented. It looks like you just strapped the biggest freaking exhaust on the planet to your STi and is way out of place IMHO (i.e. gaudy).

#11 ·
^^^^Sorry but that is FUGLY. Fartcan + Slant look = rice. Why anyone would want that is beyond me. It sits way too low and is a gradient or crappy road away of being dented. It lo like you just strapped the biggest freaking exhaust on the planet to your STi and is way out of place IMHO (i.e. gaudy).

WTFSee what I mean, not what some like. Some people need to keep comments like that to themselves or go over to the wrx club forum with the other d!cks:nono:. Why do you feel the need to bash? INSECURITY. The only reason. Or does it make you feel good to bash others when you dont have to look them in the face to do it. Its all personal preference on looks. Even though I didnt pick out the exhaust, it was on the car when I bought it a few weeks ago. How about a "its not for me" comment. Or heres an idea, NO COMMENT AT ALL !!! Maybe your avatar with your Jamaican flag is guady to some also. By the way, isnt your avatar supposed to be a picture of your car.:notgood: By the way, I am one to call out others for stupid or arrogant comments such as c2bstupidwrx comments. I was just putting up the pictures because it related to the thread I thought. Im new here , but how about just posting helpful things for others with the same interest. We all know there are alot of different tastes out there. Like I said " not for me" would have been sufficient. I will now step down off of my soapbox. OH, and have a nice day

#14 ·
"Your Avatar is displayed under your username whenever you post in the forums. Only a photo of your WRX is allowed for your Avatar. All other Avatar photos will be removed." That is what it says when you pick your avatar on this site.

Maybe it came across like a lot of bashing. Reread what you posted and you tell me. An opinion and bashing are different things. An opinion would have been " I dont like it" or "not for me".. Not going on with what you wrote. I do appreciate sarcasm, but thats not what that was. Anyway, I said my piece. Lets end this and lets move on to the car talk..

#15 ·
I did reread my post and to me it is a sarcasm. It was a bit harsh, but not a personal attack and my opinion. But, you went with a personal attack. However, your right lets move on and I am sure we can get past a difference in opinion/taste.

Also, I had no idea about the "avatar rules" I have been on here since '08 and a Moderator has never said anything to me about it.

#19 ·
i appreciate the link to the forum good info but still never really gives an answer i was planning on buying a perrin downpipe and a cat back from elsewhere but i dont want to have to buy a tuner right now if this downpipe is going to be setting off my cel..... so my question is if the catted downpipes tend to set off cels or not? or should i jus suck it up and buy a tuner on top of everything?

#20 ·
Well, you can limp a Catted DP around. But, who wants to do that? Just get some EM: either it be a AP or OS. Then get a DP. That way your good to go after you install the DP. All you'd have to do is flash the new map on.

#22 ·
How did the link not answer your question? It says specifically...
Do I need engine management with an exhaust? For 02/03 WRX and STI users, no. For 04+ WRX users, it's pretty much a requirement as the open loop/closed loop fueling issue mandated by the EPA causes long term reliability problems with using a downpipe and no tuning. For STI users, the STI was the one exception manufacturers are allowed to have, but it's a wise move regardless as the STI and 06+ WRX users have a good chance of boost creep occuring with exhaust use. Tuning can ease this issue, but the cause/effect/cure of boost creep can be researched via this link.

#24 ·
Catted, straight pipe, doesn't matter. Would still need some sort of EM if you go with a full TBE. That's why the post doesn't specify aftermarket is aftermarket. Also, if you bolt up an aftermarket cat-back to the stock downpipe, you will most likely need an adapter since the stock system uses a doughnut gasket and aftermarket exhausts use a 3" 2-bolt flange.

#30 ·
Coming from experience, i went with the Invidia N1 race exhaust. It is a little bit louder, but the sound when down shifting is a straight rumble. Very crisp rumble in my opinion, although some people might consider it a little bit too loud. Which is solved by the fact that this exhaust comes with a silencer. Shortens the bass rumble of the car and transfers the noise into a crisper/less bass sounding exhaust. Although i'm not 100% sure if all companies will include the silencer. But ultimately, in my opinion the exhaust looks good and performs like a strict racing exhaust, hence the name. Might not be for some people, but if you want that subbie racing rumble this exhaust gives you what your looking for. Although it weights a bit more than Invidia's light weight racing n1 exhaust.

#31 ·
hey im trying to figure out if my downpipe on my wrx is stock or aftermarket the outside diameter measures #in and only has one o2 sensor towards the end. so if anyone can tell me the measurements of a stock one or has pics they can show to confirm it would be greatly appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.