Subaru WRX Forum banner

intercooler upgrade??

42K views 63 replies 16 participants last post by  numark1510 
#1 ·
i want to upgrade my intercoler but i dont have the money to upgrade my turbo also which would give me the best gains without lag tmic or fmic

#30 ·
our cars dont come with stock FMIC (front mount intercooler) our cars come with TMIC (top mount intercooler)

it is not a good idea to get a FMIC if you do not plan to upgrade ## turbo, if you do plan on upgrading ## turbo then you would want to wait on the FMIC till you get the bigger turbo like around an 18g or 20g. our little turbo's would have some crazy lag due to all the piping the air has to travel thru and also fill up the big FMIC

so my 2cents is to stay away from the FMIC if you are not going to a bigger turbo, but do get a bigger TMIC. i would recommend the ss autochrome like the one we are talking bout in this thread, i posted a pic of mine on the first page. i think it is a cheaper then the sti TMIC and it is a little bigger. also make sure u get a aftermarket hose kit for the bigger TMIC

hope that helps

#31 ·
i think you are right about the fmic that it what i was told also .do you know of anyone selling their cobb ap i would like to get my car ready for the HIN show in a month or so i can just get an ss chrome intercooler off ebay whenever snd perrin hoses at the same time

#32 ·
i know i saw some cobb ap version 1 on amazon.com for like $500 but not sure if there is one for our car...i bought mine new from scoobytuner.com and i got the version 2 so it was like $700!Cry! but totally worth it, well it will be once the new software upgrade for it comes out.

but i will tell you what, once u hit stage 2 with that ss autochrome tmic and a good tbe u will have a big smile on ## face like me :D

#34 ·
lol, that would be cool only if this was not the case :eek: ..... once u marry the ap to your car it will only work on your car till u uninstall, meaning that if i let u borrow mine i will not have any fun !Cry! lol

but :eek: i did hear a rumor that if you find a ap for sale that still married to a car there are people who know how to unlock these and i just so happen to see a ap for sale. pm me if you wanna know the site and wanna try to unlock it.:confused:

ps no clue how to unlock it or where to start

#38 ·
well with the tbe and the cobb ap stage 2 i should be around 230awhp and bout 270awtq with the tmic upgrade and hose kit i think that i am around 240awhp and about 285awtq:sneaky: it feels so good, it is a whole different car from when i bought it with 5 miles on it back in august 06

#43 ·
your not gonna run 12s on stage 2....
your not gonna have 285 awtq either. tops your gonna be running 250ish maybe...you prbably have 285 ft/lbs at the crank not the wheels.
the stock turbo is only good up to about 260 awhp with meth and a custom tune.

#45 ·
there is a girl on here she goes as 06tr06 or something like that and she posts the dyno at 231awhp and 271awtq, yes she has a custome tune but i am tuned with the ap other than that we have a similar set up and untill the new software comes out or i get a dyno i was just taking a guess.

i was pretty sure that i would not run a 12, just hopes and dreams :(

#47 ·
k_rhayes said:
good catch, and ## right, it is just so hard when they are temtpting u and there is open road. i try to keep it on the chill most of the time but there are those few occassion when i have to let them know that my rex is the king of the road not them...hahahahahaha
Yeah street racing is for the Hondas and domestics...:D

#57 ·
well i have decided to go with a custome stage 1 map for now then when i get my i/c and d/p i will get stage 2 custome map and yes i do have a heck of alot more awtq than the older wrxs that is why i am probably going to do more tranny mods to hold the power to the ground no disrespect to the older rexs i fell in love with them the first time i saw one
:)

#59 ·
k rhayes said:
i was rubbing on a metal tube (not sure what it was) that is attached to fire wall but under the ic, silver tube bout 6 inches long and couple of curves in the tube.
That would be your A/C lines....I guess maybe I am good for something on here after all..:D

#62 ·
k_rhayes said:
thank you very much, i love it so much more now that there is no squeek!!!
I knew of this due to my own personal experience with a couple of cars around here that have them. One of the cars rubbed a hole in his A/C line and hadto replace it...don't know why they wouldn't tell you that when you buy them.

#63 ·
i bought it used off ebay is most likely why i wasnt told that cause he wanted me to buy it, but at the same time i only paid $90 for the tmic, and then $129.99 for my hose kit and bout $30 in different products trying to fix the squeek. so i am happy now after the dreaded squeek is gone !Laugh!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.