Subaru WRX Forum banner

How long will a turbo last?

45K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
My stock '06 WRX has 67k miles and is running great. I don't push it very hard and change oil every 5 -7k So how long will my turbo last? I want to know if I should sell the car before 100k miles or hold onto it.:cool:

#3 ·
I am the original owner of a bone stock engined 03 bugeye with 97500mi one the clock. I recently had my oil analyzed after a 6000+mi oil interval. It checked out good. My oil still had all of its good stuff in it and was told I could have gone 9000mi with it. But,I'd never do that.

Also I checked out my turbo last weekend and it is putting out the same as it did when it was
new!

I'm now saving up for a timing belt change and I plan to go well past 100,000mi.

btw Redline 5w30

Reactions: BLAZE2099
#4 ·
I think 100K would be the maximum but this is not an exact science. If the turbo is also water cooled the life can be slightly extended but over extended. The cost of a new or rebuilt/upgraded turbo is ALOT less expensive than a engine rebuild if the engine injest impeller or compressor blade pieces.

The 3K-3.5K oil change interval is myth simply because of the advances made in this field. I have changed my oil once, the day after the purchase, in my '99 Miata but then again I changed to full synthetic oil and have not even put 5K on the car since 11/99 and the oil is as clear as the day is long. Not bashing just offering another view. :)

#23 ·
People claim its ok to go over 3k miles...yes, it is. But, you drive a turbo charged car...the turbo doesn't like dirty oil. Most turbo damage is due to dirty oil or low oil. So, just change it and suck it up. Your car likes to be maintained more than a naturally aspirated car...deal with it. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.