Subaru WRX Forum banner

Hood Scoop Setup for Aftermarket TMIC

10K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
I just bought a CSS TMIC. It is obviously significantly bigger than the stock intercooler, so I was wondering what to do about the stock hood scoop vent and skirt. Should I just remove the rubber skirt, or do I need a different vent setup too? Will I need to buy something like this Zero Sports 'Cool Action' Hood Scoop Insert - Intake??? Thanks.

#7 ·
You CAN run it without the splitter/skirt setup and have no issues what so ever. I have been doing for over a year with my TMIC. Thats how my car as dyno'd and everything. I havent had a tuner or shop guy tell me any different (they all said it was better than running the stock setup). But if you want to get the zerosports setup, that will work also.

#9 ·
I'd say the one you linked would work as well though.

It may be easier on a pre 08 to run with the scoop gutted since the scoop itself makes a near 90 degree bend for the air to be re-directed through the intercooler. The 08+ on the other hand, the re-directing of air is almost 100% up to the splitter inside the scoop as there is no bend in the scoop itself.

So, yes you can get away with it like new said, but it still won't flow air to the intercooler as well as something like that last link you posted.

#10 ·
Been running my car without a splitter since I installed the turbo (over a year), havent had any issues at all. I will be getting the zeropsorts one to just add it to my "wow" list, but thats about it.

#12 ·
If I remember right the CSS is identical to the TurboXS (which Im running), it will catch dang near everything that comes through that scoop. Like I said the splitter might help some, but IMHO its not a "must" have.

#18 ·
Yep, thats the only complaint I had about my setup. Wish I would have paid a little more attention, but oh well. Im working on getting some pics of the setup to show how it sits in the car.

Attachments

#19 ·
The ZeroSports Splitter isn't that much different than the STI splitter. Its just a bit wider than the STI splitter and has a small vent to the left side of the splitter.

I run it and its just a bling thing at this point. Its not a big deal...

#20 ·
I decided to do some research and reading about the zerosports splitter. Some say its hype, some say it works. If you google it you will see many threads, the one that really caught my attention was this:Zerosports Intercooler Splitter - Subaru WRX Forums post #8. I will still be getting one when i get back, if I need to modify it slightly, so be it.

#21 ·
I'll have to re-check mine. But, I don't believe it's been rubbing my TMIC....the Stocker left rubber burned into the fins of my TMIC. But, other than that...I think it's fine so far. I'll update later what I find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.