Hood Scoop Setup for Aftermarket TMIC - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-19-2010, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Hood Scoop Setup for Aftermarket TMIC

I just bought a CSS TMIC. It is obviously significantly bigger than the stock intercooler, so I was wondering what to do about the stock hood scoop vent and skirt. Should I just remove the rubber skirt, or do I need a different vent setup too? Will I need to buy something like this Zero Sports 'Cool Action' Hood Scoop Insert - Intake??? Thanks.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Look for an sti hood scoop splitter. It should be wider to cover more area. Otherwise, just look for aftermarket hood scoop splitters/plenums.

-Chris
#3 Old 08-19-2010, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
don't remove the stock rubber skirt unless you have something similar (that directs air) to replace it with

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#4 Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
So I'd be better off leaving the skirt and only having air fed to half of my intercooler?

Mike
#5 Old 08-19-2010, 05:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Better than removing it and having nothing yes, not better than getting something that will open up and spread air over the while IC.

Best bet is to find somebody local to fab one up for you out of aluminum. I know a guy by me does them for around $100.

-Chris
#6 Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
#7 Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You CAN run it without the splitter/skirt setup and have no issues what so ever. I have been doing for over a year with my TMIC. Thats how my car as dyno'd and everything. I havent had a tuner or shop guy tell me any different (they all said it was better than running the stock setup). But if you want to get the zerosports setup, that will work also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 08-20-2010, 07:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
You CAN run it without the splitter/skirt setup and have no issues what so ever. I have been doing for over a year with my TMIC. Thats how my car as dyno'd and everything. I havent had a tuner or shop guy tell me any different (they all said it was better than running the stock setup). But if you want to get the zerosports setup, that will work also.
So your hood scoop is gutted? No splitter or anything?

Mike
#9 Old 08-20-2010, 08:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

I'd say the one you linked would work as well though.

It may be easier on a pre 08 to run with the scoop gutted since the scoop itself makes a near 90 degree bend for the air to be re-directed through the intercooler. The 08+ on the other hand, the re-directing of air is almost 100% up to the splitter inside the scoop as there is no bend in the scoop itself.

So, yes you can get away with it like new said, but it still won't flow air to the intercooler as well as something like that last link you posted.

-Chris
#10 Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Been running my car without a splitter since I installed the turbo (over a year), havent had any issues at all. I will be getting the zeropsorts one to just add it to my "wow" list, but thats about it.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#11 Old 08-20-2010, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Awesome. Really good to know. A new splitter is just not what I want to spend my money on right now. Thanks.

Mike
#12 Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 AM

If I remember right the CSS is identical to the TurboXS (which Im running), it will catch dang near everything that comes through that scoop. Like I said the splitter might help some, but IMHO its not a "must" have.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Any issues with the CSS or TXS tmic rubbing the A/C line?

John
07 WRX
#14 Old 08-20-2010, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
interesting and good to know...thank you for sharing!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#15 Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Any issues with the CSS or TXS tmic rubbing the A/C line?
I'll probably get mine installed tomorrow so I'll let you know. But I'm sure Josh can answer that question now.

Mike