Subaru WRX Forum banner

HKS HiPower

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  mcook20 
#1 ·
everytime i read an exhaust thread on this site all i ever hear is how loud the HKS exhaust is....... well i just put it on this week and im not that happy with it.... i think its too quiet.....
am i just cazy or is there something wrong here?

#2 ·
What othr mods do you have on your car?
If you just did the Cat back you will not notice a huge difference.
Change your dp and then you will hear a monster of a difference.
I have heard that exhaust on an 06 with a dp and it is fantastic. Loud but fantastic.

#3 ·
When people talk about changing the exhaust such as getting a turboback or simplying changing the downpipe to get performance are you talking about getting such pipeing without cats? Is that the only way to get a louder exhaust and more performance by removing cats? I'd like to get a new exhaust to get better sound but I don't feel like dealing with having the car illegal either.
I guess my question is I have an 06 so I only have two cats as is but if I want to get a down pipe and a catback do I have to go catless to get sound and power. Is that the point of changing the downpipe or does the factory one just restrict power.

#4 ·
Yes, when people talk about upgrading exhausts for power, they're usually refering to a cat-less one. Since some aftermarket exhaust are available with both catted and non-catted versions, your answer is no. You don't have to go fully cat-less to get better power and sound.

The factory exhaust's is flawed in alot of ways. This is for emissions and sound (noise) mostly, so yes the exhaust is very restrictive for the most part. Not necessarily the cat-back portion, but the downpipe is just terrible from a performance standpoint. The bends suck, there are too many cats in it, and the mouth of the downpipe is well, stupid.

That pretty much sums it up for me. :)

#5 ·
9d2TSi said:
Yes, when people talk about upgrading exhausts for power, they're usually refering to a cat-less one. Since some aftermarket exhaust are available with both catted and non-catted versions, your answer is no. You don't have to go fully cat-less to get better power and sound.

The factory exhaust's is flawed in alot of ways. This is for emissions and sound (noise) mostly, so yes the exhaust is very restrictive for the most part. Not necessarily the cat-back portion, but the downpipe is just terrible from a performance standpoint. The bends suck, there are too many cats in it, and the mouth of the downpipe is well, stupid.

That pretty much sums it up for me. :)
So is it still worth changing the factory downpipe with a new downpipe with a cat. Or is it pretty much pointless unless you go catless. What is the power difference between getting a cat dowbpipe vs. catless downpipe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.